Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Olympic team in Monte Gordo

Olympic team in Monte Gordo

Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Olympic team in Monte Gordo

I just watched the opening ceremony and heard Sue Barker say that our track and field team were in MONTE GORDO.

Just to check, I hadnt misheard it, I googled it and YES

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...-Portugal.html

How about that! They are around the corner for the next week!!!

COME ON TEAM GB!!!!

Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Olympic team in Monte Gordo

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I just watched the opening ceremony and heard Sue Barker say that our track and field team were in MONTE GORDO.

Just to check, I hadnt misheard it, I googled it and YES

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...-Portugal.html

How about that! They are around the corner for the next week!!!

COME ON TEAM GB!!!!

It was selected as the winter training camp a couple of years ago and of course it is now the finishing school in the run up to the games. It was also used just before the Europeans in Barcelona 2 yrs ago and when they interviewed one of the ladies after her event and asked what she would miss about the warm weather training venue she replied the Italian ice cream shop on the front! I was also told by a " friend" that a few were also partial to a meal at " Jags ".
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympic team in Monte Gordo

Originally Posted by John & Kath
It was selected as the winter training camp a couple of years ago and of course it is now the finishing school in the run up to the games. It was also used just before the Europeans in Barcelona 2 yrs ago and when they interviewed one of the ladies after her event and asked what she would miss about the warm weather training venue she replied the Italian ice cream shop on the front! I was also told by a " friend" that a few were also partial to a meal at " Jags ".
Sure, I am always surprised at the facilities especially at VRSA re sports facilities, Olympic pool etc. I'm pretty sure the team are using these too.

For an 'out of the way place' - in a small corner of Europe, it is one of the top places in Europe! (otherwise we wouldn't be there) - and as we can see from usage historically.

Our little corner has so much to offer!

I hope you see some of them at Jags and wish them all the best.

But don't buy them a drink unless its carb free!

Jon
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Sure, I am always surprised at the facilities especially at VRSA re sports facilities, Olympic pool etc. I'm pretty sure the team are using these too.

For an 'out of the way place' - in a small corner of Europe, it is one of the top places in Europe! (otherwise we wouldn't be there) - and as we can see from usage historically.

Our little corner has so much to offer!

I hope you see some of them at Jags and wish them all the best.

But don't buy them a drink unless its carb free!

Jon
Hi Jon,

They actually stayed at Quinta Da Ria golf resort,was on the Tv last week,
he was reporting from outside the resort,

Some of the Para olympic team stayed at Esuri during April,they were often at Jags Bar most days
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

One of the atheletes was run over by a car in Montegordo whilst training.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ining-run.html
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
One of the atheletes was run over by a car in Montegordo whilst training.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ining-run.html
Bloody women drivers.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:24 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Bloody women drivers.
One of my best friends was in London Tuesday from America with his son to watch the fencing, his son is a great fencer at national level.

However we were told we couldn't get an extra ticket for me, so his wife took him to the games and we 'did London' for a day. We included a trip back to our old Uni/stomping grounds where we first met and were already 'mature students' - 2nd timers - nearly 3 decades ago!! Aaaargh. Wow what a change it was, luxury everywhere, little restos and snack bars, comfortable seats to lounge in everywhere - even the union bar was posh!

'The kids have it so easy these days' - yep I actually said that 'immortal line' and realised immediately after that I said it!

The welcome to the UK was amazing when I got in from abroad - friendly, helpful people everywhere, saying 'good morning' and handing out free maps and stuff. All over London were volunteers with jackets on wanting to help tourists. Great.

However central London was dead... a good time to go if you want to miss the crowds. We ate in a great and well known Michelin starred resto - great food price/wine list and I was amazed to get a last minute reservation. They told me that they normally get 85 covers at lunchtime - we were only 6 in the resto. The cabbies were complaining about business, normally one gets around 150 a day, he had gotten 85 quid in 5 days! The only reason he is out is because his wife wants him out of the house! One could really feel the calmness of London.

So I hope that when all's said and done the increased business outside the centre of London and the huge GB-marketing campaign will actually lead to an overall business uptick in this Double dip recession we are in. I must admit to being very wary on coming in after all the horror stories about transport and crowds etc - but there was none at all, and my friends got back easily from the games and we could all meet up later in the day for a farewell drink or 2.

Well done London on the welcome - makes one proud!

Jon

Come on team GB

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 3rd 2012 at 5:26 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Olympic team in Monte Gordo

Just been on Anglia news BBC that the hoped for and expected day trips out of London to Cambridge etc. has not, is not happening. Bad news I think.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:25 am
BE Positive

Photo of St Pancras
Attached Thumbnails Olympic team in Monte Gordo-p7310116.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

One of my best friends was in London Tuesday from America with his son to watch the fencing, his son is a great fencer at national level.

However we were told we couldn't get an extra ticket for me, so his wife took him to the games and we 'did London' for a day. We included a trip back to our old Uni/stomping grounds where we first met and were already 'mature students' - 2nd timers - nearly 3 decades ago!! Aaaargh. Wow what a change it was, luxury everywhere, little restos and snack bars, comfortable seats to lounge in everywhere - even the union bar was posh!

'The kids have it so easy these days' - yep I actually said that 'immortal line' and realised immediately after that I said it!

The welcome to the UK was amazing when I got in from abroad - friendly, helpful people everywhere, saying 'good morning' and handing out free maps and stuff. All over London were volunteers with jackets on wanting to help tourists. Great.

However central London was dead... a good time to go if you want to miss the crowds. We ate in a great and well known Michelin starred resto - great food price/wine list and I was amazed to get a last minute reservation. They told me that they normally get 85 covers at lunchtime - we were only 6 in the resto. The cabbies were complaining about business, normally one gets around 150 a day, he had gotten 85 quid in 5 days! The only reason he is out is because his wife wants him out of the house! One could really feel the calmness of London.

So I hope that when all's said and done the increased business outside the centre of London and the huge GB-marketing campaign will actually lead to an overall business uptick in this Double dip recession we are in. I must admit to being very wary on coming in after all the horror stories about transport and crowds etc - but there was none at all, and my friends got back easily from the games and we could all meet up later in the day for a farewell drink or 2.

Well done London on the welcome - makes one proud!

Jon

Come on team GB
Well maybe business is down in Central London, for the duration of the Olympics, but having gone to watch the swimming yesterday and then walking round the park, I'd say it is a price worth paying. The Olympic Park is quite extraordinary and I will be amazed if it doesn't provide a lasting legacy, which will quickly eradicate the memories of a few weeks of poor trading.
I travel into and out of Stratford every day and all the talk of public transport chaos has not materialised (apart from inevitable tube breakdowns). The crowds are well controlled and us miserable commuters can't help but smile at the sheer excitement and enthusiasm that the "visitors" generate.
This all comes from a real cynic who didn't even want the Olympics in the first place!
I'm with you Jon, come on Team GB
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent the afternoon at Wembley watching Olympic footie qtr finals. Mexico vs Senegal. 81,885 attendance! Fantastic experience. Easy to travel to but a bit of a mare getting away afterwards. Need a large G&T to recover in time to go back to the Olympic park for the Ladies basketball tommorrow afternoon.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:30 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

I'm jealous... the UK has so much to offer ...more than some big sunshine and a beer!! enjoy the sport!! My daughter is in the midst ... say's it's brill!!