Reload this Page >

Olive Tree Pruning

Olive Tree Pruning

Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

rosstoward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Olive Tree Pruning

Hey folks,

Bought a house over here a couple of months back and now just harvesting the olive.

But the trees are in a right mess, suckers on the trunks, vertical shoots on the branches, they musn't of been touched for years, any tips or help with how to prune would be appreciated.

For starters I was going to remove the suckers and vertical shoots immed before the spring sap so all energy will go to producing fruit buds, not feed the clinkers....

Thanks

Ross
Old Dec 20th 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all
Default Re: Olive Tree Pruning

I can't help at all but "clinkers"...Geordie?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

I have one neighbour who says do not prune if there is likely to be a frost and one who says its Ok we have frosts so I tend to prune in Feb. I start by taking out the suckers and then any verticals to open up the tree inside, then look at the height to make sure I can reach what I have left. Next you need to identify any diseased areas and the branches that you harvested the olives of these can then be thinned out, olives grow on the previous years new growth so leave as much of that on as possible, then its about shape and whether any of the branches are in the way. Olives can be quite circular in that you have a heavy harvest one year and light the next if you just randomly prune for shape, I have managed to get an average harvest the last 3 years by being careful and planning my pruning. In August before the olives are big I take out any new suckers and then look at areas of the tree that have no olives and lots of growth I tie a piece of string around these so I know not to prune any of this part of the tree because that is where my olives will be the following year, I do not know if this is all correct but its what I have learnt by hit and miss and tress are thriving we get a tonne of olives every year from 50 trees of various ages.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flotsum
I have one neighbour who says do not prune if there is likely to be a frost and one who says its Ok we have frosts so I tend to prune in Feb. I start by taking out the suckers and then any verticals to open up the tree inside, then look at the height to make sure I can reach what I have left. Next you need to identify any diseased areas and the branches that you harvested the olives of these can then be thinned out, olives grow on the previous years new growth so leave as much of that on as possible, then its about shape and whether any of the branches are in the way. Olives can be quite circular in that you have a heavy harvest one year and light the next if you just randomly prune for shape, I have managed to get an average harvest the last 3 years by being careful and planning my pruning. In August before the olives are big I take out any new suckers and then look at areas of the tree that have no olives and lots of growth I tie a piece of string around these so I know not to prune any of this part of the tree because that is where my olives will be the following year, I do not know if this is all correct but its what I have learnt by hit and miss and tress are thriving we get a tonne of olives every year from 50 trees of various ages.

That will get you started. I prune mine every three years but they are big. Tried the string round certain trees idea initially but if you have any amount you just do the lot when the cycle is due. Too much of a faff otherwise.
you can dispose of the prunings by burning (carefully so as not to set fire to Spain) or have them chavelled up by a tractor mounted device(Picar). The bigger stuff makes good logs once seasoned BUT needs to be covered and or dipped in diesel as harmful to olive tree bugs emerge in warmer weather from your logs and immedieatly look for a host tree, which they damage getting back in.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 12:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What I do is to remove suckers around the roots at any time of year.

The main pruning I do annually in February - I did do it in December once with no ill effect but maybe it was a milder winter.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

We live in the Province of Jaén, where most of the olive trees are...we get one of the locals to come and prune our trees in April, well after any frosts and harvesting has been done.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what variety of olives you have? For example Hoji Blancas are harvested in Jan and Feb and pruned in March/April.

Your best bet if you don't know the variety(ies) is to be guided by a local.

Assuming you are doing the harvest at the right time, then given mild weather you can prune after harvesting. Just go for it.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

rosstoward is an unknown quantity at this point

Richie - Geordie is an insult, pure Mackem and looking forward to the big game tomorrow, from consett originally.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Take it as a compliment Enjoy the match, but not the result...hopefully!!