Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Old wiring causing problems

Old wiring causing problems

Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Tracella01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old wiring causing problems

Hi - I am living in the north east in Benicassim (Castellón) My apartment has the old style plug sockets (pre - 2002) and I am finding it difficult to find adaptors between the C and F type plugs. The apartment has one adaptor and one gang socket that accepts the new style plugs. I have tried Media Markt and other chain stores without success. The thing is up north it is starting to get cold and the temperature at night is below 10c. I have bought a couple of oil filled radiators but cannot plug all of them in. I have also emailed my landlord to see if we can have new electrical wiring. Not sure he will be ok about it as he used to let out the flat for summer short term lets. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old wiring causing problems

My suggestion would be to use the butane gas bottle fires.

They are extremely effective and cost efficient - far better than plug in oil rads.

You must have good ventilation though - given it's an old building I guess that's a given.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

I have a gas heater for the living room, but oil radiators for the bedrooms. I haven't come across the different electrical supplies before. When I worked in Alicante, the apartment I had, had newer electrics.

Before I moved in, I had a week in an Airbnb and even that place had old wiring. Benicassim is a bit like Gran Alacant (if you live near Alicante) The place dies when the tourists leave..... It seems like in this area, it is normal for old stuff. But yet, there are no adaptors.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Plus, gas heaters are not really for bedrooms.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you use an indoor heater that burns fuel to create heat, it is essential that you also have a carbon monoxide detector. .... I would guess that is a legal requirement in a rental unit and if it isn't, it should be! There may also be a prohibition in your lease from using a propane heater or other "open flame" devices.

Even if I had a carbon monoxide detector, personally I wouldn't use a propane heater in a bedroom while I was asleep.

Also, if the wiring is old, there may be safety issues beyond just having the right plug and socket combination - plugging in a heater that draws significant power over an extended period of time may create a fire risk.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 13th 2016 at 3:09 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracella01
Hi - I am living in the north east in Benicassim (Castellón) My apartment has the old style plug sockets (pre - 2002) and I am finding it difficult to find adaptors between the C and F type plugs. The apartment has one adaptor and one gang socket that accepts the new style plugs. I have tried Media Markt and other chain stores without success. The thing is up north it is starting to get cold and the temperature at night is below 10c. I have bought a couple of oil filled radiators but cannot plug all of them in. I have also emailed my landlord to see if we can have new electrical wiring. Not sure he will be ok about it as he used to let out the flat for summer short term lets. Any suggestions?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

How about an electric blanket and a colourful woollen hat for night time use, also good for siestas!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

Just buy a few new style sockets and have a friendly electrician fit them.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dypcdiver
Just buy a few new style sockets and have a friendly electrician fit them.
But if the wiring is old, this is worse than useless.

Before a (qualified) electrician can touch the sockets, they are supposed to check the WHOLE installation - just like in UK.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

You say you tried Media Markt and other chain stores. What about the local hardware store (ferreteria)?

- Eric S.