Old Spain.

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old Spain.

There is a huge archive of old photographs and videos of Spain from eons ago available for free on the net.

This evening I was enjoying the balmy heat at night whilst wondering what it must have been like before electricity. Still this safe? I've seen old photographs and paintings of central plazas lit by huge candles, but can't find them immediately. However, did find this video clip of 1920's Granada. Fascinating if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAAYg...layer_embedded

Can we build a ready archive of Old Spain here for quick reference? Find stuff on the web of your local area.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Spain.

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
There is a huge archive of old photographs and videos of Spain from eons ago available for free on the net.

This evening I was enjoying the balmy heat at night whilst wondering what it must have been like before electricity. Still this safe? I've seen old photographs and paintings of central plazas lit by huge candles, but can't find them immediately. However, did find this video clip of 1920's Granada. Fascinating if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAAYg...layer_embedded

Can we build a ready archive of Old Spain here for quick reference? Find stuff on the web of your local area.
that is a stonking good idea
would the powers let us have a second section of Mitzy's Photo's of Spain for all the old stuff

saw some on postcards in Granada the other day, the streets seemed wider
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:04 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I saw one a few years ago, mainly of Málaga but some of the province. Some when the Costas were just mountains and a track road out of the City. They were all on a spanish forum and people had added to them. What I did notice about some of the Málaga ones is how well the people were dressed, men in jackets and hats etc.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:50 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I love the old black and white still photos, anything pre 1960 showing small seaside villages or whatever existed before the tourist boom destroyed the beauty,peace and tranquility of such places.

I posted a few a while back with regard to Tenerife and Benidorm.
Absolutely fascinating to study them carefully and compare then and now.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Our local printers' have started selling copies of some old photos of Velez-Malaga and we bought a couple last week, one showing part of the street we live in. Looks like it could be from the 1950s from how people were dressed, but the street looks much the same. We found some nice frames for them and they are now hanging in the dining area, they look quite good for 7€ each (2 each for the photos and 5 for the frames)!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I often choose to eat in a restaurant if they have old photo´s on the wall, love looking at them whilst I am eating. Obviously if they have a lot on the walls I have to visit them more often and sit at different tables each time, well that is as good an excuse as anything else.

Rosemary
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:43 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got the photographs to hand, but I remember driving along the N332 from Alicante to Cartagena. It went straight through the middle of Torrevieja and to the south of it was rocky, barren land from where you could see the sea but little else apart from a few stunted olive trees that were no longer being farmed. It was only about 23 years ago.

People often talk about the coastline being concreted over and it has happened, but in the case of Orihuela Costa, I've got to say, perversely, that it has actually improved the landscape. The rocky bays were filled with sand and the barren landscape filled with houses, shops, green parks and trees. They don't look pretty either, but to my eye are an improvement to the lunar landscape from before.

Maybe I don't have an artist's eye because I also think that Canary Wharf looks prettier than the dirty blocks of council flats that preceded it.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I saw one a few years ago, mainly of Málaga but some of the province. Some when the Costas were just mountains and a track road out of the City. They were all on a spanish forum and people had added to them. What I did notice about some of the Málaga ones is how well the people were dressed, men in jackets and hats etc.
just look at the old foto's of london (and other places) where it was quite common (not in that sense) to see people in a suit with hat on back in the early 1900's

wonder what they would say about our more "relaxed" styles of dress nowadays

or
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I often choose to eat in a restaurant if they have old photo´s on the wall, love looking at them whilst I am eating. Obviously if they have a lot on the walls I have to visit them more often and sit at different tables each time, well that is as good an excuse as anything else.

Rosemary
I enjoy that too, Rosemary. There is a bar in Periana, in the Axarquia, that has a wonderful collection of local photographs, some showing the aftermath of the powerful earthquake that happened on Christmas Day 1884 (imagine how difficult the rescue operation and rebuilding must have been in those days, apparently it took weeks for people to reach them) up to the 1960s, showing the youth of the village all dressed in their best for the local fiestas.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Facebook group where people can post their old photos. This is my favourite - the great-grandfather of one of my friends. I love the dog riding on the donkey's back!

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Dylan is looking good but Pete has bloody aged!!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:20 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some here, mainly Málaga

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=494829&page=3

One for Fuengirola

http://www.unsoldeciudad.com/fotos-a...uengirola.html

But if you google fotos antiguas de.....whatever place takes your fancy. Some sites are better than others. The skyscraper city one above show some bad Málaga floods in 1909