Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

OLd paper driving licence

OLd paper driving licence

Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:24 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default OLd paper driving licence

Have been hiring and driving in Spain on my old paper licence for the last five years. Never been stopped, but have since been told that it is illegal. I rang the DVLA who cannot comment on rules in other countries. Did a search on the forum but no luck. Can anyone offer a definitive answer ? I am happy to get a new photocard, but want to wait until after April when my 6 points are spent and I can have a clean licence, and I have a visit planned in April.
Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:41 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OLd paper driving licence

Originally Posted by poollounger
Have been hiring and driving in Spain on my old paper licence for the last five years. Never been stopped, but have since been told that it is illegal. I rang the DVLA who cannot comment on rules in other countries. Did a search on the forum but no luck. Can anyone offer a definitive answer ? I am happy to get a new photocard, but want to wait until after April when my 6 points are spent and I can have a clean licence, and I have a visit planned in April.
Thanks.
Its apparently all down to having the correct address on your paper copy. As in the UK, if its not correct then its illegal. Thats all I know

Jo
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
Its apparently all down to having the correct address on your paper copy. As in the UK, if its not correct then its illegal. Thats all I know

Jo
Read the bottom of the free beer thread. ;-)
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo

Jo
I'm not sure I agree with your comment ...

Take most of us Brits who have moved to sunnier climes yet still have the UK DL. The address mentioned is not our residence and so is incorrect.

We are not allowed to hold a UK DL having moved abroad so the best we can do is either keep the DL with the wrong address or go to trafico and get a Spanish licence.

I, for one, can't do the latter as I would loose some of the (driving) classes that I am entitled to drive on the few occasions I go back to UK.

So, bottom line, I have to keep my UK licence with an incorrect address!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have heard that the only legal licence here is an EU photo licence, which of course also has a paper part

There is an agreement by DVLA apparantly that they accept people living abroad with an EU licence will have the wrong address on their licence. But the worry is, if you lose the licence and you dont have an address in the UK then where are you going to have a new one issued to.

See driving licences in the free beer thread
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks.
When my daughter got the car towed to the pound a few years ago and mrsjdr went to pick it up and had to show paperwork and driving licence.
The policeman said if he caught her with a paper licence again he would be very cross as you must have a Euro licence with ID on it now. ;-))
You can still hire a car with one though apparently if you are still a UK resident and on holiday.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

I have always hired cars in Spain using the paper licence and have never had a problem. The guardia have also stopped me and havent commented on me having just the old paper licence.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by cavecritter
I have always hired cars in Spain using the paper licence and have never had a problem. The guardia have also stopped me and havent commented on me having just the old paper licence.
It is an EU directive for all countries to have a plastic licence card with a photo on it to stop fraudulent use of licences.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

I honestly never knew that perhaps theyve never said anything to me before as Ive also shown my passport along with my licence as proof.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by cavecritter
I honestly never knew that perhaps theyve never said anything to me before as Ive also shown my passport along with my licence as proof.
You know how long it takes for these rules to get established and twice as long for those who deal with it. lol
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:06 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

And is everyone aware that there is an expiry date on the plastic licence? It is only valid for 10 years from the date of issue. The date is shown on the front of the licence.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
And is everyone aware that there is an expiry date on the plastic licence? It is only valid for 10 years from the date of issue. The date is shown on the front of the licence.
It seems that there are at least 40000 that aren't aware!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5741199.ece
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It seems that there are at least 40000 that aren't aware!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5741199.ece
Yes and of course you will need a UK address to renew the licence, which brings with it its own set of challenges for some people here
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Poollounger I think you should take what you heard with a pinch of salt, if the paper licence was no good, why do the car hire companies happily rent their vehicles to us????

Also as mentioned above, the photocard one is only valid for 10 years and its expensive to get in the first place. Another scam to get money out of the unsuspecting.

I'm hanging on to my paper one which lasts till I'm a good bit older yet....

I think there may well be issues for Brits living in Spain but for us visitors hopefully no probs.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:19 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

All the info you need is here

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...20en%20España.