Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Okay I am back from Hondon

Okay I am back from Hondon

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Okay I am back from Hondon

Had a very informative couple of days without the agents hanging around and met lots of brits in residence. All positive about the move they had made though most reported snags of some description and how many times I heard Manyana (Spelling?) as an excuse for delays in service. What the hell does that word mean anyway

Well, loved the villa and the location again. Hondon Nieves was a fantastic little village, spotless, very quiet and the locals were very very freindly. It was a great place and teriffic scenery to boot.

Only thing now is we have pretty much decided to sell up here as opposed to rent this out and get a Spanish mortgage. The reasons being the terms of the mortgage didnt fill us full of joy and maybe we would have too dependant on the rental income one the interest only period on the mortgage was up (2 years) and it reverted to capital as well. Also the setting up fees (approx 6500 euros) and the early settlement fee (1% of property value) just didnt make sense to pay given we would be probably sell here anyway in the near future.

This then means a potential delay to the move until this sells but hey ho who knows that might be fast, lets hope so.

So its still very much a
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Okay I am back from Hondon

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
how many times I heard Manyana (Spelling?) as an excuse for delays in service. What the hell does that word mean anyway
Mañana means tomorrow or morning. Mañana por la mañana means tomorrow morning. Pasado mañana means the day after tomorrow.

BTW to do the ñ on a UK keyboard, hold down Alt and type 164 on the right hand keypad.

In Valenciano they spell ñ as ny so you're not wrong!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:42 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to be learnt is that mañana doesn't necessarily mean "tomorrow", it just means "not today"
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:53 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi SmartiesUK

Glad your mind has been put ro rest and you have gone back to UK feeling positive about the whole move. OH and myself wish you good luck in selling up in Blighty ASAP and your move here to Spain goes without a hitch. I'm sure you will keep us all informed

regards
Crispygirl
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
One thing to be learnt is that mañana doesn't necessarily mean "tomorrow", it just means "not today"
very true!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:06 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Mañana means - 'when I'm good and ready'

Welcome back Smarties - have you seen my thread yet?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:56 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
Mañana means tomorrow or morning. Mañana por la mañana means tomorrow morning. Pasado mañana means the day after tomorrow.

BTW to do the ñ on a UK keyboard, hold down Alt and type 164 on the right hand keypad.

In Valenciano they spell ñ as ny so you're not wrong!!
mañana

Hey! I did it! Thanks!

And I agree - it just means 'not today'.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you're back safely, and feeling positive about the move Smarties

Best of luck with your house sale - hope that goes well.
Are you still "tied in" to moving over in May though??
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Had a very informative couple of days without the agents hanging around and met lots of brits in residence. All positive about the move they had made though most reported snags of some description and how many times I heard Manyana (Spelling?) as an excuse for delays in service. What the hell does that word mean anyway

Well, loved the villa and the location again. Hondon Nieves was a fantastic little village, spotless, very quiet and the locals were very very freindly. It was a great place and teriffic scenery to boot.

Only thing now is we have pretty much decided to sell up here as opposed to rent this out and get a Spanish mortgage. The reasons being the terms of the mortgage didnt fill us full of joy and maybe we would have too dependant on the rental income one the interest only period on the mortgage was up (2 years) and it reverted to capital as well. Also the setting up fees (approx 6500 euros) and the early settlement fee (1% of property value) just didnt make sense to pay given we would be probably sell here anyway in the near future.

This then means a potential delay to the move until this sells but hey ho who knows that might be fast, lets hope so.

So its still very much a
Hey there Smarties,

It's good to know that you returned in a positive frame of mind

Regarding the mortgage, how many banks did you approach? Halifax Espana is doing great deals (about 15 years interest only, depending on age) and 0% early settlement. It's worth having a look, at the very least.

Halifax Espana Residential Mortgages

Martha
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:31 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

So its still very much a
Your back safe . good news you like it as well ...
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:14 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Okay I am back from Hondon

Originally Posted by scampicat
mañana

Hey! I did it! Thanks!

And I agree - it just means 'not today'.
That's not fair, I don't have a right hand keypad! I will just have to keep talking with a blocked nose!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:33 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisca
Glad to hear you're back safely, and feeling positive about the move Smarties

Best of luck with your house sale - hope that goes well.
Are you still "tied in" to moving over in May though??
Yea tied into May and thats a worry. They say we could extend 2 or 3 months if we have problems selling but then we have already staked over £40k and thats a bit of a worry tbh. Hmmm still got somethinking to do I reckon. I have been sitting this morning thinking about pulling out of this deal and waiting until the house sells then arriving with cash in the backpocket to buy something maybe

Hmmmmm gota make my mind up next ferw days before that 20% goes down thats for sure. We know we are moving to Spain for sure now at least so it aint all been a waste of time
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:35 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Yea tied into May and thats a worry. They say we could extend 2 or 3 months if we have problems selling but then we have already staked over £40k and thats a bit of a worry tbh. Hmmm still got somethinking to do I reckon. I have been sitting this morning thinking about pulling out of this deal and waiting until the house sells then arriving with cash in the backpocket to buy something maybe

Hmmmmm gota make my mind up next ferw days before that 20% goes down thats for sure. We know we are moving to Spain for sure now at least so it aint all been a waste of time

Can you still manage to pay the mortgage on your property at home if you have to take out a Spanish mortgage as well? We are in the position that we can move into ours but the mortgage won't kick in for a few months.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:43 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs DF and Mrs S have just been speaking on the phone. I called your mobile but it went to voicemail. Have you considered transferring the mortgage in 2 years to another one or using your Virgin One Account? Can't you just have a 2 year Interest Only (you'd obviously sell your house in that time!), bank the money on the house sale then pay off your mortagage when the 2 years end?

There must be loads of ways round this mate But only if you've both really set your hearts on the Villa you first saw?

Whatever happens mate - you know where we are
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:29 pm
Smarties

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Mrs DF and Mrs S have just been speaking on the phone. I called your mobile but it went to voicemail. Have you considered transferring the mortgage in 2 years to another one or using your Virgin One Account? Can't you just have a 2 year Interest Only (you'd obviously sell your house in that time!), bank the money on the house sale then pay off your mortagage when the 2 years end?

There must be loads of ways round this mate But only if you've both really set your hearts on the Villa you first saw?

Whatever happens mate - you know where we are
Thanks mate I am thinking that we dont really want to be pishing about with tenants for one and a mortgage for another. Selling up in two years would solve the problem in terms of paying the mortgage off but going into the mortgage knowing we would pay it off in a couple of years dont make sense. For a start we would be paying a big setting up fee then paying a penalty to get out of the mortgage. I am not convinced that with the agents cut/mark up and the IVA taxes etc and the taxes I need to pay when I sell that the property would make a profit in two years.

I cannot take the risk on losing my 20% deposit because I dont get a mortgage after resubmitting my docs (no pay slips) or because this house dont sell in time to be honest