Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

OK, Here It Is..... THE Question

OK, Here It Is..... THE Question

Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, Here It Is..... THE Question

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I get the feeling you're confusing the chance of +100k accounts being hit, with say having 10-20k in a bank account.
And if you really think that Spanish banks are "far more likely" to be closed/frozen than the UK then please feel free to keep your money in Northern Rock or RBS or HBOS.
Did you read the news today about the BoE telling British banks they are under-capitalised? Why do you think this wasn't addressed before?
Last weekI went to the bank to pay my non residents tax, the lad while doing this for me asked do you speak English? Yes? He then asked did I know how much I had in my account? I knew I had more in than I should as I had hoped by now to be full time Spain and had built up enough to buy a cheap car. I told him how much. That told me he thought I had too much in there. He was helpful and smiled when 2 days later I transferred the bulk to UK leaving enough for bills etc. Afraid for me that's now how it will stay. I feel safer rightly or wrongly with it in the UK as it would appear did the Spanish bank assistant.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I feel safer rightly or wrongly with it in the UK as it would appear did the Spanish bank assistant.
As have many thousands of Spanish, capital flight is still happening in Spain at quite a a rate. This was last year,
A longer-term look reveals that about 235 billion euros in portfolio investments, bank deposits and credits flowed out of Spain in the first seven months of the year. There was a positive balance of nearly 18 billion euros in the same period in 2011.
Capital flight actually continued into its 13th consecutive month, with a total of 331 billion euros making it out of Spain during that period. That's about one third of the country's total gross domestic product (GDP).
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:49 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
As have many thousands of Spanish, capital flight is still happening in Spain at quite a a rate. This was last year,
Seems everyone everywhere is trying to scare us all...

http://info.moneyweek.com/urgent-bul...end-of-britain

In all recorded history, no country has ever recovered from the financial position we find ourselves in today. No government has ever been able to reverse this trend. No emergency action has ever come close to a solution.
Maybe we should let that nice gentleman in North Korea take over?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everyone everywhere is trying to scare us all...

http://info.moneyweek.com/urgent-bul...end-of-britain

Maybe we should let that nice gentleman in North Korea take over?
Trust you to take the bait Stevie, but there again it matches your agenda.

All that to try and panic folk into taking out a magazine subscription.

Pathetic.

Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:34 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite get this "transfer a little bit each month" advice.
Quite apart from any extra transaction costs, doesn't this ignore the fact that only a few years back the pound bought 1.65 euros, and now it fluctuates between 1.15 and 1.25?
Of course if you're sure that the euro will depreciate by 20%... but is that realistic? Some pundits are predicting further falls in the pound, although I've yet to find an expert who gets this right all the time.
I understand why keeping more than the 100 k euro limit may be worrying, and even more than 30k seems reckless to me, given the low interest earnt.
But if you're spending in Euros over the next 6 months, surely better to transfer approximately 6 months money at one time?
Towards the end of our time in Spain, we transferred a month's money at a time.

We did not intend to keep any more money than necessary in Spain.

The extra charges seemed worth paying.

We also kept a few grand in Caja Mi Colchon (under the mattress).

Last edited by scampicat; Mar 30th 2013 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

OK so what was the original question? :-)