Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Offered a job near Barcelona

Offered a job near Barcelona

Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Leekard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offered a job near Barcelona

Hello, I'm 25 years old, I've been offered work as a self imployed electrician near Barcelona for the next 2 years, im unsure about how the tax system works, would I need to make pay tax as I earn? Also wondering if it's easy enough for my girlfriend to come and live with me but not work for a period of time, can you basically live there Hassel free? Thankyou very much
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered a job near Barcelona

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

If you're self employed you will complete a tax return and pay for tax some time after you actually earn it. It's the same as in the UK. Is that where you are now? I ask because the nationality of you and your girlfriend are a factor in how easily you can access Spain and live there hassle free.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
If you're self employed you will complete a tax return and pay for tax some time after you actually earn it. It's the same as in the UK. Is that where you are now? I ask because the nationality of you and your girlfriend are a factor in how easily you can access Spain and live there hassle free.
You will need to pay a minimum of (around) 260 euros social security each month and then pay 20% of your income as tax on a quarterly basis

You will have to abide by IVA and income tax withholdal rules on invoices, which you will need to see a gestor about

At the end of the year everything is tallied up to see whether you owe more tax or are due some back

Legally you are not allowed to work as self-employed for just the one client unless you sign a TRADE contract - which is another reason to see a gestor or employment lawyer
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leekard
Hello, I'm 25 years old, I've been offered work as a self imployed electrician near Barcelona for the next 2 years, im unsure about how the tax system works, would I need to make pay tax as I earn? Also wondering if it's easy enough for my girlfriend to come and live with me but not work for a period of time, can you basically live there Hassel free? Thankyou very much
Do you have a Spanish qualification as an electrician?, Spanish systems are totally different to UK ones, and in order for the work to be legal is all has to be signed off by a Spanish qualified electrician.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Horlics
Yes me and my girlfriend live in the uk, so it would be straight forward for us to go, would my girlfriend have no problem staying there without working? Thankyou
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Do you have a Spanish qualification as an electrician?, Spanish systems are totally different to UK ones, and in order for the work to be legal is all has to be signed off by a Spanish qualified electrician.
No I have no Spanish qualification just British, I think I would be working for a British company but I see where your coming from with it having to be signed of by a Spanish electrician, thankyou
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
You will need to pay a minimum of (around) 260 euros social security each month and then pay 20% of your income as tax on a quarterly basis

You will have to abide by IVA and income tax withholdal rules on invoices, which you will need to see a gestor about

At the end of the year everything is tallied up to see whether you owe more tax or are due some back

Legally you are not allowed to work as self-employed for just the one client unless you sign a TRADE contract - which is another reason to see a gestor or employment lawyer
The people I have spoke to seem to think there going to work tax free but obviously they must be thinking of some kind of way round it, I would rather just sort my own tax out so I'm covered for when I want to come back to the uk. Being self employed abroad does sound like a lot of hassle, Thankyou for your help
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes me and my girlfriend live in the uk, so it would be straight forward for us to go, would my girlfriend have no problem staying there without working? Thankyou
Yes, but she would need her own healthcare as your cover as autonomo will only cover family.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Offered a job near Barcelona

I would be very careful about any job offers that are for being self employed as thats really a con as you will have to pay for being self employed 260€ a month at least, your own tax and health care. There is no safeguard to your job so you have no security.
Find out why you cannot be offered a job as an employee and then you will realise that you are being taken advantage of. Sadly its not as good as it sounds. Be careful.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:51 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Be careful.
+1. There are many unemployed in spain. ask why does this company wish to employ you?

It may be a great opportunity, but tread carefully
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:52 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by missile
+1. There are many unemployed in spain. ask why does this company wish to employ you?

It may be a great opportunity, but tread carefully
and a lot of those will be fully qualfied Spanish electricians, the job really isn't as good as it seems.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

And especially near Barcelona where speaking Spanish and Catalan would be essential

I have no idea how you will be able to do anything speaking English
Old Mar 26th 2015, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
And especially near Barcelona where speaking Spanish and Catalan would be essential

I have no idea how you will be able to do anything speaking English
I would be worried with the self employed thing, but otherwise Spanish or Catalan wouldn't always be essential, especially on building sites if a company employs you.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I would be worried with the self employed thing, but otherwise Spanish or Catalan wouldn't always be essential, especially on building sites if a company employs you.
Do builders not need to communicate? Or is grunting and pointing enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.