Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Off Grid Water Systems

Off Grid Water Systems

Old Feb 8th 2021, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Daniel.C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off Grid Water Systems

Hi, could anyone give me some advice regarding an off grid system & what is best,
Thanks
Daniel
Old Feb 8th 2021, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Grid Water Systems

Assuming the site has no water rights from a local supply a bore hole is the way and only option in most cases , they are expensive and you do need permission and good reason ie land with fruit trees , I have one on a property I own and its over 170m deep , it has a 3 phase power supply as a single phase pump would struggle , if you are lucky you may not need to go so deep before you hit water , if you do I`d budget on 8-10k Euros if you have power on site .
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for coming back to me about this, can i ask a question about water Pressure, it might seam silly but does the pump from the bore hole keep coming on when you turn the tap?? what about hot water for pressure for shower etc. Would this also work if you used a Cisterna for water??
Thanks again
Daniel
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point

Other options are delivery by tanker to a deposito, which is what we do, or storing rainwater from roof.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks that is good, how to you get water pressure from that??
Old Feb 9th 2021, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daniel.C
Thanks very much for coming back to me about this, can i ask a question about water Pressure, it might seam silly but does the pump from the bore hole keep coming on when you turn the tap?? what about hot water for pressure for shower etc. Would this also work if you used a Cisterna for water??
Thanks again
Daniel
No, you will need to pump into a reservoir and draw off that , it can be a simple as a 3000ltr plastic tank , if you cant locate the tank above the house for a gravity feed you will need a secondary pump to pump it into the house.

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 9th 2021 at 11:04 am.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point

As we live on a hillside, my solution was to locate the deposito 20 metres above the house, to give a pressure of 2 bars. I had had enough of pumps starting up every time you turn on a tap when living on a boat. Off grid, it also means no water if the sun does not shine!
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:26 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I have a simple artesian well; the pump at the bottom is switched on and off by a controller (Google Presscontrol) which turns on at 2-5 bar and off at 4 bar. Therefore while there maybe an initial drop in pressure, the controller will then maintain a consistent pressure. The pump needs to be able to maintain at least five bar with a good flow.

Davexf
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Search for OGB on YouTube for some ideas and answers on off grid building then decide if it;s for you before obtaining permissions etc. One thing I would say is you're going to need a lot of solar panels or a generator to power the pump. If you're not there for long periods of time you are likely to find them missing when you return.
I've never had a well drilled but I have one in Italy. Within a month of moving in I had to have 5 sections of pipe and the pump replaced at a cost of 800 Euro, cheap compared to the cost of getting the waste water system to meet regulations. Regs and costs are likely to be different here but methods and security risks will be the same.
Mine is 120 m deep with the pump at 105 m, pumped to a plastic tank at ground level which means I have to pump it to a 24l pressure tank before connecting to the house feed.