Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Off-grid solar power - are they subject to 'sun tax'?

Off-grid solar power - are they subject to 'sun tax'?

Old Mar 17th 2017, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

jumbojetjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Off-grid solar power - are they subject to 'sun tax'?

I'm sure this subject has been discussed before, but after hours of trawling the internet, I still haven't found an official definitive answer to this question:

We are totally off-grid, with no connection whatsoever to mains electricity and the nearest pylon is about 900 metres away.

I've become very confused and have just read a post that suggests off-grid properties have to 'pay up to 60,000 Euros to connect to the grid, then pay taxes on what they generate, PLUS give any unused power from their batteries to the grid, with NO compensation'!!!

Does anyone know if we have to register and therefore pay tax, on our solar/battery system, or not please? (We live in a detached house, in the countryside, near Baza, in the province of Granada and have a 3kW solar system).

Many thanks, Jim.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off-grid solar power - are they subject to 'sun tax'?

First I've heard of this and I can only think the post you refer to means that if you do ever want to connect to the grid you could pay up to .........etc etc.
Nobody is forcing you to connect to the grid in the first place, but if you do happen to want to do so it'd be expensive. As for the rest of it, no idea and it does sound a bit ridiculous.
It just so happens that I am totally solar as well and when we priced up connected to the main supply it would be over 40,000 euros. So we didn't bother.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Mark,
When I Googled 'solar power in Spain' to look for a replacement solar system for my ageing existing one, many posts like this started appearing...

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2016/04/16/solar-panel-law-in-spain-could-cost-thousands-of-independent-energy-producers-millions-in-fines/
Old Mar 18th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

This is recent.

Solar tax slows green energy in Spain | All media content | DW.COM | 16.02.2017

Completely mad.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the thing -

"Any owners who have failed to register their photovoltaic (PV) installations and connect to the national grid by this week are facing fines of up to €60million, claims Greenpeace."

That reads to me that if you want to or are connected to the national grid, you have to register to do so.
If stand alone, i.e. no connection to the grid at all, you don't need to register.
I'd like to see more about this though and will also look into it.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

A quick look into this shows it was started in 2015.
This states from 2016 -
"While the large-scale tenders are anticipated with mixed feelings, the controversial ‘Sun Tax’ which punishes consumers for solar self-consumption may finally see its demise at the hands of a minority government. Perez said the congress has already admitted a proposal to change the legislation and this will be debated. Furthermore, since the conservative party, which brought in the sun tax, is a minority, there is now leverage for all the opposition parties to come together to remove the tax. Each of the parties has previously signed an agreement promising to repeal the tax should a majority against the PP be formed in parliament.
Donoso said: “We expect that the challenge to the law we propose will be finally approved.”

https://www.pv-tech.org/news/spains-...-for-big-solar

Then on March 10th 2016 -

"Spain’s solar association Union Espanola Fotovoltaica (UNEF) reports a majority of members in the Spanish parliament have signed an agreement removing a controversial Royal Decree against self-consumption of solar energy, also known as the ‘sun tax.’ The agreement has been made within 100 days of a new government being formed."

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/10...itive-sun-tax/
Old Mar 18th 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

In any case, for now I'll wait and see what happens.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 8:20 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

In any case, it's still ridiculously expensive and loaded with unnecessary bureaucracy to get connected to the grid (speculatively, due to the monopolistic structure of Spain's politically powerful energy sector).

I did read some time ago that the so-called "sun tax" as proposed would be in direct violation of a number of EU laws, and if approved, would end up in EU courts and would likely lose miserably. The energy cartel is still licking their chops though. It pays to have a gargantuan legal team on retainer.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies everyone.

From what I've read, I'm pretty sure that off-grid properties like ours are safe from being taxed or fined - for now at least. We have no choice but to remain off-grid, as the cost of connection plus the ongoing charges, simply wouldn't be viable for us.