Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining Spanish Citizenship

Obtaining Spanish Citizenship

Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:22 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Obtaining Spanish Citizenship

Originally Posted by Fred James
I emailed the Identity Commuissioner and received this reply.

"We are aware that at present, IPS is not issuing ID cards to British citizens living abroad. Although the Commissioner continues to monitor and review the roll-out of the Identity Scheme, it remains for IPS to decide how it does so. "

If you read all the info provided on the IPS website and read the actual law that created the ID card then it is 100% clear that you must have your principle place of residence in the UK.
Thanks for clearing things up Fred, I´ll leave it in the hands of the petition for now and see how things go.

Without wanting to stray off topic......when you´ve been here 10 years and can apply for citizenship can you apply for the Spanish card and if you marry a Spanish national can you apply for citizenship and apply for the card if you have not been here for 10 years?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:53 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all
Default Re: ID cards in Spain

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Thanks for clearing things up Fred, I´ll leave it in the hands of the petition for now and see how things go.

Without wanting to stray off topic......when you´ve been here 10 years and can apply for citizenship can you apply for the Spanish card and if you marry a Spanish national can you apply for citizenship and apply for the card if you have not been here for 10 years?
After ten years, unless you are from a former Spanish colony, you can apply for Spanish Nationality, but again unless you are from a former colony, you must denounce your British nationality. Not that they check up and the UK don't care if you have dual nationality.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:58 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
After ten years, unless you are from a former Spanish colony, you can apply for Spanish Nationality, but again unless you are from a former colony, you must denounce your British nationality. Not that they check up and the UK don't care if you have dual nationality.
If I marry a Spanish national do I still need to wait 10 years?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

If I marry a Spanish national do I still need to wait 10 years?
I am fairly certain that who your married to, Spanish or otherwise, makes no difference, its something that you qualify for in your own right.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Johncar61 - your information is incorrect.

If you are married to a Spanish citizen you can apply for Spanish citizenship after residing in Spain for one year.

http://spainlawyer.com/guialegal/gui...ITULO=08020000
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:18 pm
Yaaarp

This thread is genuinly realy informative and interesting however........according to the new link (many thanks again Fred) "The period of residence will be reduced to 1 year for the spouse of a Spaniard." ..I´m now going to complicate things for myself If I gain Spanish residency am I right in thinking that I have to renounce my British citizenship and does this mean I would lose any and all entitlements to a pension from the UK?
Appologies if I´m taking the thread way off topic, happy to start a new thread or if a Mod can move some of this over to a new thread.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:22 pm
Yaaarp

OFTLOYG! Just spoke to OH about this and now OH has come up with an idea, if we marry (which we are planning on doing this year, my OH can apply for dual nationality which could entitle my OH to my pension.
Is this feasible?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

OFTLOYG! Just spoke to OH about this and now OH has come up with an idea, if we marry (which we are planning on doing this year, my OH can apply for dual nationality which could entitle my OH to my pension.
Is this feasible?
shall I get my hat then?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:26 am
Banned

If you are married to a Spanish citizen you can apply for Spanish citizenship after residing in Spain for one year.

OK thanks, How about the rest of what I said?

And does that take about 3 years too for the paperwork to be proceeded and not "The Spanish authorities will decide upon granting the Spanish nationality within a term of 18 up to 24 months from the date of application." As the web site states ?

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 13th 2010 at 6:33 am.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, How about the rest of what I said?

And does that take about 3 years too for the paperwork to be proceeded and for the applicant to be told yes or no ?
I wasn't aware you said anything else. You said:-

"I am fairly certain that who your married to, Spanish or otherwise, makes no difference, its something that you qualify for in your own right."

As for the time it takes, I have no idea - you would need to ask a lawyer.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:40 am
Banned

I wasn't aware you said anything else. You said:-

"I am fairly certain that who your married to, Spanish or otherwise, makes no difference, its something that you qualify for in your own right."

As for the time it takes, I have no idea - you would need to ask a lawyer.
I also said, " After ten years, unless you are from a former Spanish colony, you can apply for Spanish Nationality, but again unless you are from a former colony, you must denounce your British nationality. Not that they check up and the UK don't care if you have dual nationality."

We have an application for Nationality in the system now. I was asking you as you seemed so well informed, able to tell us I was wrong., so I thought you would know.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:45 am
Banned

Is this feasible?

Not being a British citizen does not affect pension rights in UK. I have a Columbian friend who worked in UK with her Spanish husband, since deceased, she get a UK pension.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:07 am

Default Re:Obtaining Spanish Citizenship

I also said, " After ten years, unless you are from a former Spanish colony, you can apply for Spanish Nationality, but again unless you are from a former colony, you must denounce your British nationality. Not that they check up and the UK don't care if you have dual nationality."

We have an application for Nationality in the system now. I was asking you as you seemed so well informed, able to tell us I was wrong., so I thought you would know.
OK - that was from a previous post, not the one I was commenting on.

Yes you are quite right, the UK do not actually allow you to renounce your British Nationality.

I have a friend who went to Kenya many years ago and had to renounce. When he left Kenya 30 years later he just applied for a new British passport. He could have kept his old one up to date but the Kenyan authorities at that time (Kenyatta etc) would have not liked that at all!

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 13th 2010 at 7:23 am.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Had I known this earlier I could have maybe avoided the hefty charges needed to renew my UK passport.

A bit drastic, perhaps, and since my passport runs out in june, I've probably left it a bit late, I think.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rachelk
Had I known this earlier I could have maybe avoided the hefty charges needed to renew my UK passport.

A bit drastic, perhaps, and since my passport runs out in june, I've probably left it a bit late, I think.
Even after you have collected the paperwork required, and registered and done the interview (to test if you are integrating into Spain) it still takes, according to our local court registration office, about 3 years to hear if it has been granted.

So June, yep, a bit late, but the next one, in ten years, maybe you could get it all through by then !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.