Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

noone to countersign!

noone to countersign!

Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: noone to countersign!

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Obviously. Where else would you be thinking of on the Spanish BE.

Rosemary
don't know what came over me
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Please try reading all the notes again.

Try reading section 10 of Passport notes it clearly states that adults only need to have a countersignature if they are not recognizable from the photo!

The rules are, of course, different if you apply to any where other than the UK (for example consulate in Madrid).
I renewed my passport in January this year, in UK, and used Post Office checking service. I now have longer hair and more wrinkles and the clerk in the Post Office told me I had to get my photo countersigned, but it could be anyone who had known me for two years, who lived in UK ... even a neighbour (i.e. no need for a professional).
I returned to the Post Office with the counter-signed photo and declaration on the passport form (signed by the guy over the road - just a neighbour), saw a different clerk, who said 'I don't know why you had this signed - not necessary!'
Passport arrived within the week - I think it will all work out OK if the OP's passport is in sufficiently good condition for him to travel to UK and pass through Immigration in the first place.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

permanentexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I renewed my passport in January this year, in UK, and used Post Office checking service. I now have longer hair and more wrinkles and the clerk in the Post Office told me I had to get my photo countersigned, but it could be anyone who had known me for two years, who lived in UK ... even a neighbour (i.e. no need for a professional).
I returned to the Post Office with the counter-signed photo and declaration on the passport form (signed by the guy over the road - just a neighbour), saw a different clerk, who said 'I don't know why you had this signed - not necessary!'
Passport arrived within the week - I think it will all work out OK if the OP's passport is in sufficiently good condition for him to travel to UK and pass through Immigration in the first place.
Thanks, Noelrosie, for your useful information. I do know someome who isn't a professional, so I suppose it will be ok now. Phew!

But why doesn't the Passport Office review its procedures? If in fact anyone can sign, in fact they accept one year instead of two (as I read elsewhere on this site), and in fact a hotel manager who's known you for only ten minutes can sign (cf. Fredbargate's reply above) ??? Instead of getting us law-abiding citizens all worried, with a form which says false information is a criminal offence, and can put you in prison?

Do other countries have these kind of rules?

Is there any scientific evidence that a "white-collar" worker is more reliable than a cleaner or a bus driver?

I am left wondering....
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it, given the price they charge for a new passport these days, they're going to do everything they can to accept your application......