Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Spanish Driving Licence

Non Spanish Driving Licence

Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non Spanish Driving Licence

A friend got stopped by the Guardia this week. He has an Irish driving licence. They told him they believed he was a resident and it was illegal and he had to pay a 500 euro fine. He refused and they have told him to report to Jerez police station.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Spanish Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
A friend got stopped by the Guardia this week. He has an Irish driving licence. They told him they believed he was a resident and it was illegal and he had to pay a 500 euro fine. He refused and they have told him to report to Jerez police station.
If you want it, I have the letter from Spanish authorities somewhere that confirms that an EU licence is acceotable in Spain. There are still some police I believe that dont understand that!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the letter you are referring to

http://www.spainvia.com/drivelicenceletteradsl.htm
Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you want it, I have the letter from Spanish authorities somewhere that confirms that an EU licence is acceotable in Spain. There are still some police I believe that dont understand that!
Yes if you have I could then print it off and let him have it.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I don't believe it is a case of the police not understanding but of not caring. I have lost count of the number of my friends who have been stopped by the police whilst driving with a uk licence. Those who paid the fine and then tried to get the fine rescinded and the fine returned have been unsuccessful. It is completely legal to drive in Spain with a UK licence,we are,after all,a member of the same European Union that Spain is.
I have heard the arguements for and against re changing licence to a Spanish one,but I believe that is down to the individual. Some time ago the road out of Albox was bracketed both ways by the police and every english driver with an english licence was fined. A good haul that day.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think this is the letter you are referring to

http://www.spainvia.com/drivelicenceletteradsl.htm
I think thats the one
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

No one appears to have mentioned one very important issue in this thread:

UK driving licences issued from 1990 and the photocard licence issued from 1997 are accepted in Spain.

Licences issued before 1990 are only accepted if accompanied by an official translation into Spanish (available from the Spanish Embassy in London and the Real Automóvil Club de España if the licence holder is already in Spain). UK Provisional Licences are not valid for use in Spain

see here
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...-in-spain/cars
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... plus they must not have expired!

I happened to notice that people are mentioning that the plastic licence lasts only 10 years - mine only lasted 5! (2005 - 2010!)!