Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non-resident vehicle ownership

Non-resident vehicle ownership

Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough
Default Non-resident vehicle ownership

Hi all. Now that I'm mobile on two wheels, my old man wants to buy a motorbike to keep at my house over here too. He is not, won't be and never has been resident here but wants to have something to use on occasional visits.

Is this possible? If not, how could we do it? Could I own a bike and somebody else have a policy on it? From what I've seen, insurance policies need to be in the name of the owner/keeper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-resident vehicle ownership

He would need at least an NIE number, also may be asked for rental contract, I know of people who have bought vehicles here but live in UK but they have NIE and own property. hope this helps
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

insurance is on the vehicle, certainly it is for cars, ours says anyone over 25can use, with our consent of course
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
He would need at least an NIE number, also may be asked for rental contract, I know of people who have bought vehicles here but live in UK but they have NIE and own property. hope this helps
VERY RISKY!
A vehicle can only legally be insured in the country where you reside. If you try to insure a vehicle using an address that is not in the country that is your main residence, the insurance company will turn you down. If you do not come clean about this, and have a claim on your policy, you run the risk of them finding out, and they will refuse your claim!!!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:47 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

can't you own the second vehicle, insure it and have your father as 2nd driver/rider ??

how he wants to pay you for the ownership and use is surely a private arrangement.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:39 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

It was my understanding that you may now own a foreign-registered and insured vehicle and keep it in Spain as long as you can prove you do not spend more than 180 days here.

Link

Here's the gist of it:

1. CARS WITH FOREIGN LICENCE NUMBER PLATES

A. Residents within EU/EES

Residents of the European Union and the European Economical Space (meaning Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland) are not permitted to use, within the area of EU/EES, vehicles registered outside the area. (This makes it illegal for EU/EES residents to use vehicles registered in Gibraltar and Andorra). An EU/EES resident may only use a vehicle with licence plates from an EU/EES state.

In the case of Spain, community residents (from now on, when we refer to the community or EU, we also include Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland) without a residence permit in this country (unless they are fiscal residents due to their staying in Spain for more than 183 days per calendar year) may use a vehicle registered within the community without any formalities, and may leave their car in Spain whilst they are away without the need to have it sealed. They may then use the car again on their return visit.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amideislas
It was my understanding that you may now own a foreign-registered and insured vehicle and keep it in Spain as long as you can prove you do not spend more than 180 days here.

Link

Here's the gist of it:

1. CARS WITH FOREIGN LICENCE NUMBER PLATES

A. Residents within EU/EES

Residents of the European Union and the European Economical Space (meaning Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland) are not permitted to use, within the area of EU/EES, vehicles registered outside the area. (This makes it illegal for EU/EES residents to use vehicles registered in Gibraltar and Andorra). An EU/EES resident may only use a vehicle with licence plates from an EU/EES state.

In the case of Spain, community residents (from now on, when we refer to the community or EU, we also include Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland) without a residence permit in this country (unless they are fiscal residents due to their staying in Spain for more than 183 days per calendar year) may use a vehicle registered within the community without any formalities, and may leave their car in Spain whilst they are away without the need to have it sealed. They may then use the car again on their return visit.
Exactly, but the question here is insurance. You can only insure a vehicle in the country where you reside. If you live abroad, you can't legally insure an English plated car in the U.K. and leave it there all year, and vice versa.
Check it out, only DON'T, repeat, DON'T, ask your insurance company, or they will "smell a rat". Ask an Insurance Broker!
I found out the hard way and had to bring my U.K. reg. car back and insure it here. It can however only stay here for six months, so back it goes in July.
Luckily I have a buyer for it in the U.K.
I wonder if the same insurance rule applies to properties?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The BH insured her car for use in Spain with a "local" insurance company until she got it thru the matriculation, so was driving a UK plated vehicle on Spanish insurance.
It had a valid MOT for the UK and was running for some time with a UK tax disc as well.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:33 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You can insure your car in Spain when you live anywhere; it is simply a commercial transaction. They will happily take your money; to them you want to insure your vehicle: they are Spanish companies insuring Spanish vehicles.

I even know of a company that will happily insure English plated vehicles and pay out in the event of an accident. It is simply a commercial transaction here. What they can´t do is to insure an English plated vehicle in England.

Davexf
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
can't you own the second vehicle, insure it and have your father as 2nd driver/rider ??

how he wants to pay you for the ownership and use is surely a private arrangement.
'old man' usually husband, not father.. just sayin'
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
not when I was a kid....
remember the ticking off I got at about 10 from my cousin when talking about the old man as he called his father, I referred to the old woman for my mother - he pointed out the error of my ways
but I never did it again.
Sadly all are no longer with us now, cousin died suddenly a couple of years ago.

But as a Grockle I suppose I am allowed a few mistakes
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

You can insure your car in Spain when you live anywhere; it is simply a commercial transaction. They will happily take your money; to them you want to insure your vehicle: they are Spanish companies insuring Spanish vehicles.

I even know of a company that will happily insure English plated vehicles and pay out in the event of an accident. It is simply a commercial transaction here. What they can´t do is to insure an English plated vehicle in England.

Davexf
You know that for certain do you? I very much doubt it! When I told them of my situation (not able to insure my English car with a U.K. company and leave it there, because I live in Spain), my Spanish insurance company told me that the residential condition was universal in the E.U.
I spent an hour with a broker trying to sort it out, to no avail!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Saxy

Yes try these people that advertise extensively (and have done so since 2002 for my certain knowledge)

http://www.abbeygateinsure.com/

Davexf
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not where I'm from!!! It's my dad, for the record!

Many thanks everyone for your replies! Now to figure out this karma thing (2 years later!)!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The reason that they won't insure a car kept in one country while the owner lives abroad, was explained to me like this :-
Your car is parked on the road with a car parked ahead of you and one behind you. Another car crashes into the one behind you, shunting it into you, and you into the car ahead. The car ahead of you claims on your insurance and you claim from the car behind that caused your damage. He then claims from the guy that caused the accident in the first place.
If you are living out of the country, it is a lot of trouble contacting you.
Indeed you could say, I can't be bothered, and my car isn't worth the trouble. Leaving the insurance companies with the problem of who pays what. The car you were shunted into can't claim from the one that hit you!
The point being that if your car is involved in anything on, or off the road. By not living in the country where it happened, you are not liable and can wash your hands of it, and there's nothing anyone an do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.