Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non resident in Spain

Non resident in Spain

Old Feb 21st 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non resident in Spain

To be fair the OP wasn't asking for sympathy and admitted they had been stupid. They admit they are in a bit of a pickle of their own making and just wanted to know what possible courses of action were available. Telling them to go back to UK to live off benefits is a bit mean.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Gabrielle 820 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to those who saw how bloody mean you lot !
So focused on judging and fulfilling the little bit of drama in their lives they obviously crave. And for the record I've worked and never claimed benefits in the uk. So stick that comment where the dont shine
How sad those of you that feel that's acceptable.
I never asked for sympathy or your personal opinion just advise. I was wrong to ask in this forum and won't be coming back.
Just watch those halos down fall and choke you !!
I'm surprised your allowed to be so bad on a forum fill of "adults"
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Telling them to go back to UK to live off benefits is a bit mean.
Yes I agree. However the original post does not to me show any real reflection on the fact that the OP has been dodging the system all these years. They didn't vote for brexit? Irrelevant the UK did. They don't take from the country but add to it? They spend money yes but they use the services etc that Spain provides and law says in their circumstances they should declare for tax purposes they haven't. Although the final deal or outcome hasn't been clear, what was very clear was that the UK was leaving the EU and its citizens would be treated as 3rd country Nationals within the EU, luckily those already resident were protected. Only way to hopefully get protection wasn't burying your head in the sand but legalising your position properly in Spain before the game was up. The post to me seems to be that the OP is looking for some way of working their way around the new rules that apply but shows no real acceptance of wrongdoing by their life choices in Spain. That is not me being mean or nasty towards them just how this post comes across. They have ended up absolutely in an avoidable situation of their own making and are now hoping someone can advise them how to dodge the consequences of their own actions. Covid has also highlighted that Spain intends to apply the entry rules strictly, will it clamp down as firmly on those not complying with the residency rules in the future? Will the EU and Schengen membership allow for Spain to act independently re applying the rules? I doubt it but time will tell. However obtaining legal residency and paying whatever dues needed to be paid 6 or even 3 months ago would have prevented the OP being in the situation they find themselves in.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:32 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

On another thread OP is asking for advice about moving house. If and when, they will be obliged to pay back the taxes they have been avoiding.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
On another thread OP is asking for advice about moving house. If and when, they will be obliged to pay back the taxes they have been avoiding.
I too had seen that
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Advice= ask a gestor. Action = report to police. Moral judgement = ask God.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabrielle 820
Thank you to those who saw how bloody mean you lot !
So focused on judging and fulfilling the little bit of drama in their lives they obviously crave. And for the record I've worked and never claimed benefits in the uk. So stick that comment where the dont shine
How sad those of you that feel that's acceptable.
I never asked for sympathy or your personal opinion just advise. I was wrong to ask in this forum and won't be coming back.
Just watch those halos down fall and choke you !!
I'm surprised your allowed to be so bad on a forum fill of "adults"
If you went into a cafe or bar and sat down with some strangers telling them of your plight you would certainly receive advice and fair amount of critical analysis of your actions and lack of actions so it is hardly surprising that forum members have reacted in a similar manner.

Rosemary
Old Feb 21st 2021, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so the OP has been daft and should have got her affairs in order but many of these holier than thou comments are pointless and way over the top.

​​​​​​My advice is consult a lawyer immediately. Do you have any Irish (or other EU) ancestry?
Old Feb 21st 2021, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

TAnd for the record I've worked and never claimed benefits in the uk. So stick that comment where the dont shine
I think the point of that comment was that you said you couldn't afford to live in the UK - as it looks as though you'll have no option but to return to the UK, you may have to claim benefits to live (once habitually resident or whatever the term is). It was just a suggestion of how you can afford to live there, not a personal dig.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 21st 2021 at 1:01 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think the point of that comment was that you said you couldn't afford to live in the UK - as it looks as though you'll have no option but to return to the UK, you may have to claim benefits to live (once habitually resident or whatever the term is). There's really no need to be so defensive about a comment that I think was trying to help, and point you in the direction of financial assistance.
Somone who owns a house "in an expensive area" as the OP described it, in Spain, is unlikely to be eligible to claim benefits if they return to the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lou71
OK, so the OP has been daft and should have got her affairs in order but many of these holier than thou comments are pointless and way over the top.
​​
I haven't seen any over the top comments on the thread all though as I previously stated I didn't agree re the comment on claiming UK benefit. . As for the OP being daft? That's down to opinion is it being daft or was it being deceitful? There are viable reasons some delay obtaing legal residency for a short term non are legally correct but when one knows circumstances can be understood, but 14 years? As for holier than thou? I thought the idea of responding on the forum was to provide information that is legal and factual? Your comment re ancestry may be a way out of the issue the OP finds themselves in, if applicable. However even if it does it may well still open up a can of worms re being physically resident for 14 years without paying the required tax, that of course depends on how the Spanish authorities see the long lapse in residency application.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Firstly I didnt vdidn't leave.
I have lived here for 14 years. I have private health cover and do not claim benefits here. I pay my rates taxes etc.
I'm a non resident and have been travelling from uk to spain during the year. However now I am stuck, I cannot leave my house for 6 months a year as I have animals! And the fees to house them are ridiculous.
And cannot afford to live in the UK for 6 months as they want you to. its so expensive and the logistics to this is a nightmare.
I take nothing from Spain in fact i add to their economy.
I now don't have as much savings as the residency wants and so applying for residency is useless. Should I apply anyway?
What do people in my situation do now?

Also the 90 days in 180. Do you have to go back for 3 months continually? Or can you spread the 90 days as you want in the 180?
I have read several things about this and none are consistently the same.
I would appreciate the advice.
Thanks
It must be very worrying for you as you have animals to care for in Spain and now things have changed. Basically as a non resident you can only spend up to 90 days ( can be back and forth in bits) within a period of 180days , then the clock starts again. So that's about 12 or 13 weeks in every 25 weeks.

It's not too late to sort things out as I think one has till June 2021. You wrote you had never applied for residency, as you did not have the savings amount required, so thought that option was closed to you. However I believe that there is also the option to show income of around 450 euros per month (but check with Gestor). You may be self employed, I don't know, or with irregular income but maybe your friends or family could help you with a loan or some regular income while you sort out the residency.

My advice would be take up Rosemary's offer of the contact details of the good Gestor she knows in your area, or ask people in your area, as when one is dealing with bureaucracy and forms it's essential to have an expert who knows their way around them and what exactly is required. Once you sit down and go through it all with them I am sure they will find a solution for you and you will feel so much better rather than being in limbo.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise?

Firstly I came on this forum to get advice, and for the most part I have been given advice.
I find it astounding that people think free speech is a ticket to be mean and judgemental. You do not know me so do not presume to think you do.
Obviously some people have nothing better to do with their lives than to judge others! I hope their mirrors are big enough to see their true selves.
What you regard as 'mean and judgemental' I think the rest of us would call the truth, can't help if you don't like it.

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, you could continue to live just as you have for the last 14 years. Nobody is going to come round and kick you out.

the problem will arrise when you have to do something official that needs a residencia.

If you left spain for a holiday then you'd have to fly back as if you were a tourist / going on holiday

Last edited by bfg69bug; Feb 22nd 2021 at 10:20 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 11:21 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there will be many who think they can continue to hide under the radar.
Even hiding under the duvet, there is no way OP could be ignorant of the changes post Brexit.
What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Last edited by missile; Feb 22nd 2021 at 11:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.