Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Resident Bank Accounts help!!?

Non Resident Bank Accounts help!!?

Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Resident Bank Accounts help!!?

Originally Posted by amideislas
Oh wow. The world's first philanthropic bank. No doubt it's the volume of "free" accounts that pays for it all.

I got a "free" iPhone for simply signing a 2-year contract with a mobile provider. Yes, well, the contract is a bit pricey, but I did get that iPhone for "free"...

To be fair, I haven't tried bbva, simply because I don't believe anything is "free". And you're not the only one making that claim. But I've had my fair share of "free" stuff in this life, and I don't remember any of it being "free". Yet, if it is "free", I can't help but wonder who pays for it... Might it be me if I were to sign up?
What I don't understand is why more banks in Spain don't offer "free" accounts. In the US, almost all banks offer some kind of no fee account. What's in in for them, of course, is that they get to use your money without having to pay you any interest.

- Eric S.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecco
Thanks. But I am also looking at an alternative to having to pay at least a 3% commission charge + loading fee on any cash withdrawals ( so debit card needed).
If you withdraw from a BBVA ATM, there is no fee. And you don't even need to have any kind of card. You can just log in with your online ID and password. Although I believe that not all of their ATMs have that capability.

- Eric S.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
What I don't understand is why more banks in Spain don't offer "free" accounts. In the US, almost all banks offer some kind of no fee account. What's in in for them, of course, is that they get to use your money without having to pay you any interest. - Eric S.
There is no free lunch. The business model and the charging structure is different to suit the regulations and costs in Spain. For example, banks in US can (and do) foreclose on their customers far quicker than in Spain.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ecco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
I used my UK Santander debit card at a Santander ATM in Marbella on 20.10.2015.
***** £102.99 to withdraw 140€ *****
CASH WITHDRAWAL AT ATM ATM 5630 B. SANTANDE1,MARBELLA,140.00 EUR, RATE 0.73/GBP ON 20-10-2015
Just out of interest do you press the Charge in Euros or Charge in Pound Sterling button. As they seem to ask that during every transaction.

I read you should always chose the charge in Euros option.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

cherryjules is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your replies and tips for opening a non resident account. It seems pretty straightforward & we will start the process when we pop out in December. We will shop around, like you would anyway & we have checked the main banks you mention on line 're locations etc.
Cheers )
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:33 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't understand is why more banks in Spain don't offer "free" accounts. In the US, almost all banks offer some kind of no fee account. What's in in for them, of course, is that they get to use your money without having to pay you any interest.

- Eric S.
So if you keep €25 in the account, they make 2-3 cents per quarter? Good plan.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 8:21 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecco
Just out of interest do you press the Charge in Euros or Charge in Pound Sterling button. As they seem to ask that during every transaction. I read you should always chose the charge in Euros option.
When in Spain choose euros for transactions.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amideislas
So if you keep €25 in the account, they make 2-3 cents per quarter? Good plan.
Well, I guess if enough people keep €25 in their accounts, then they have a pretty good chunk of money to play with.

But look, I'm just trying to tell you that the online account that we have with BBVA does not have any fees. We've had it for a year and a half and have yet to pay any fees on it. It seems like you just don't want to believe me. Well okay, I can't do anything about that.

- Eric S.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I guess if enough people keep €25 in their accounts, then they have a pretty good chunk of money to play with.

But look, I'm just trying to tell you that the online account that we have with BBVA does not have any fees. We've had it for a year and a half and have yet to pay any fees on it. It seems like you just don't want to believe me. Well okay, I can't do anything about that.

- Eric S.
I believe you. But I haven't yet seen much advertised as "free" that's without some ancillary commitment. Often, adding up to more than that which you'd willingly pay for. And with no restrictions or minimums, I wonder how they pay the bills. They must get it somewhere... Or like I said before, philanthropy... Or perhaps naive penny pinchers..

But I'm probably just a cynical old codger. One of my favourite sayings is "free? That sounds expensive!". And in today's world, there's no shortage of reasons to be cynical about that.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

if you go to Trafalger Sq London there is a branch of sabodell Bank and they will be able to open an account for you so you just turn up in spain and collect your debit card once you have purchased your house. Now organising POA so the solicitor can act on your behalf is a different ball game altogether........
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:34 pm
Started off with nothing

Be VERY careful who you give POA to :-(