Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Lucrative Visa - Minimum time in Spain

Non Lucrative Visa - Minimum time in Spain

Old Jun 27th 2022, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non Lucrative Visa - Minimum time in Spain

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and buried deep but I cant see a clear answer anywhere.

If an individual applies and is granted a non lucrative visa, is there a minimum amount of time that you are legally required to spend in country after the visa is granted ?
Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Lucrative Visa - Minimum time in Spain

Originally Posted by UKMS
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and buried deep but I cant see a clear answer anywhere.

If an individual applies and is granted a non lucrative visa, is there a minimum amount of time that you are legally required to spend in country after the visa is granted ?
Once you have visa you have to apply for residency within a month. Once you have residency you need to spend 183 days a year in Spain and for the first 5 years you can only be absent for 10 months. Which basically means that you need to spend the majority of the year in spain which will become your primary centre of financial interest hence you also become a Spanish tax resident.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 27th 2022 at 1:44 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Implicit in applying for an NLV is that you want to live in Spain full time so save for short periods for say holidays etc. it's not unreasonable to be expected to do just that.

Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Implicit in applying for an NLV is that you want to live in Spain full time so save for short periods for say holidays etc. it's not unreasonable to be expected to do just that.
Completely agree and I didn’t say I wouldn’t be …. Just trying to plan and get timings right and sorted when I decide to move and also trying to establish how long the Spanish embassy in UAE will take to process things, but that’s another topic .
Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I meant no criticism it's just that we've seen both here and elsewhere numerous instances of people thinking that they could somehow use the NLV as a workaround for the 90 day rule.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I meant no criticism it's just that we've seen both here and elsewhere numerous instances of people thinking that they could somehow use the NLV as a workaround for the 90 day rule.
Fully understood ! …. No that wasn’t my intention, I should have been a little clearer, I’m just looking at various options when we pack our bags out of the UAE particularly on the transition, but the 90/180 days is fine to cover that. As I mentioned it will be interesting to see how efficiently the embassy here deals with a UK citizens application for NLV when I eventually make it.