Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

No exit stamp flying back to UK - Problem?

No exit stamp flying back to UK - Problem?

Old Nov 17th 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Re: No exit stamp flying back to UK - Problem?

they scan it. that what tells em youre a villian. I'm not sure the functionality of that is available yet so they may use calculators. But by next year it will. And two passports wont work - same identifier. SPain will see they lose shedloads of money from the snowbirds and change the system to 180 in 360 once we've stopped dicking about with silly fishing battles and the good old Northern Oirish issues.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 9:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think it unlikely that anything will change in the short term. The 90/180 rule applies across the Schengen area and any changes to the rules would probably mean all Schengen countries agreeing to the change.

Spain could come up with a new unilateral visa but I can’t see that happening soon.

The additional income from holiday home owners is very small compared to the income from millions of British tourists. I expect them to put their efforts into encouraging short term visitors.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think it unlikely that anything will change in the short term. The 90/180 rule applies across the Schengen area and any changes to the rules would probably mean all Schengen countries agreeing to the change.

Spain could come up with a new unilateral visa but I can’t see that happening soon.

The additional income from holiday home owners is very small compared to the income from millions of British tourists. I expect them to put their efforts into encouraging short term visitors.
The imminent EHIAS waiver makes bilateral agreements more complicated. Also, if Spain allowed the British to stay in Spain for 180 days but, for example, France decided to stick with 90 days, there would be nothing stopping someone from flying to Spain, going over the border to France, spending 180 days there and then flying back to the UK from Spain.

So it would leave the Schengen rules wide open to abuse at a time when they are trying to strengthen their borders.

The British voted for Brexit knowing that they were losing freedom of movement so they will have to live with the consequences.

Last edited by Lou71; Nov 17th 2021 at 10:10 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:33 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Nooo... everyone else was going to lose their FoM but not Brits.

France does do a long-stay visa for up to a year, people with it can visit other Schengen countries. They're supposed to follow the 90/180 day rule if they do.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

But will short term visitors continue to come if Spain no longer caters for British tourism like they used too. Tourism will be decimated for a few years to come yet so maybe the holiday home owners are more important than you think. Spanish in Valencia are starting to become concerned. These next few months/years are going to be a bumpy one. I live in Catalonia and sometimes you hear the Catalans talking about Brexit but in the next Sentence they talk about how Spain has gone to shit and how they can’t wait to leave Spain. My friend from Morocco who lives in the village also describes himself as a Berber and wants independence from Morocco. It’s all getting very complicated. Everyone just wants their own form of independence these days.worlds gone mad
Old Nov 18th 2021, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
But will short term visitors continue to come if Spain no longer caters for British tourism like they used too. Tourism will be decimated for a few years to come yet so maybe the holiday home owners are more important than you think.
Surely that is tying in short term tourists i.e. those that visit Spain for a week/fortnight holiday and those that have an holiday home in Spain intending to spend 3 or more months each year. There are also say retired people who have no wish to buy a holiday home but like to spend a couple of winter months taking advantage of cheapish winter hotel prices. I don't see how anything really changes for either the standard week or 2 tourist or those wishing to come for longer winter breaks of say 4 to 8 weeks. Holiday home owners wishing to spend up to 6 months at a time of course are severely affected, but there's a big difference between short term tourism to someone investing in buying a holiday home?
Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:06 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I live in Catalonia and sometimes you hear the Catalans talking about Brexit but in the next Sentence they talk about how Spain has gone to shit and how they can’t wait to leave Spain.
I also live in Catalonia and nobody talks about Brexit unless prompted to by me, and why would I do that?

The independence movement is not what it used to be.