Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

No Astrazeneca....

No Astrazeneca....

Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default No Astrazeneca....

https://english.elpais.com/society/2...-over-65s.html

Looks like being a long time before we get vaccinated...
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Astrazeneca....

Originally Posted by spainrico
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...-over-65s.html

Looks like being a long time before we get vaccinated...

Thats rubbish, it almost seems that the EU countries are rubbishing the vaccine, almost to get back at the Uk.

The Lancet published this .

The 18–55-year-old cohorts were originally planned as single-dose efficacy cohorts. However, the protocol was modified on July 20, 2020, to offer a second dose to the participants in these cohorts as a result of robust booster responses identified in the evaluation of the early immunogenicity cohorts (version 9.0;appendix 2pp 331–332).
5 Boosting began on Aug 3, 2020, resulting in a longer gap between prime and booster vaccines in these cohorts than for those aged 55–69 years and those aged 70 years or older, as these participants were enrolled into two-dose groups from the start.

Says quite clearly that those over the age of 56 were included in the trials.

Full article here.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...661-1/fulltext

And from the Horses mouth. Phase 2 tests were carried out on a range of age groups including those over 70.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-05-22...i-human-trials

My dad has had the AZ/Oxford one and so have all the others vaccinated in Peterborough and there are loads of old people around there.

Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

"Thats rubbish, it almost seems that the EU countries are rubbishing the vaccine, almost to get back at the Uk".

You're being too kind. Not "almost seems..." They are rubbishing it, led by the incompetent Brussels' EU Commissioner Ursula von der Leyen.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

BBC News reported nearly 11 million now vaccinated in the UK with minimal side effects. Tiredness, soreness etc - same as my sister told me - in other words, no problems.

In the meantime, the EU is doing next to nothing and we will be in semi lockdown with no protection for ages by the looks of things.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
BBC News reported nearly 11 million now vaccinated in the UK with minimal side effects. Tiredness, soreness etc - same as my sister told me - in other words, no problems.

In the meantime, the EU is doing next to nothing and we will be in semi lockdown with no protection for ages by the looks of things.
The EU is not suggesting there are problems they are simply pointing out that the vaccine might not be effective over longer periods as there wasn't sufficient data.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Wife left retirement and is back nursing, the feedback/gossip amongst staff is no problems, sore arm, maybe a headache but she's not heard of any staff taking time off after the jab. She had the jab on duty a few weeks ago and I had mine on Friday, to be honest yes the arm was a bit sore but nothing worth moaning about and no soreness this morning when I woke up.

I don't know what happening with the EU, maybe they are peed off at not ordering early on which is the only thing I can praise Johnson for at the moment.

I was and still am anti brexit and am pro EU but to be honest at the moment if the UK has spare vaccine we should be shipping it out to commonwealth nations IMHO.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

According to news reports today maybe Europe hasn't been as dumb as Britain thinks. AZ now shown to be not as effective against the South African variant so it makes sense not to give it to people who are with weaker immune systems.

Last edited by Chipmonk; Feb 7th 2021 at 9:14 am.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
According to news reports today maybe Europe hasn't been as dumb as Britain thinks. AZ now shown to be not as effective against the UK and South African variant so it makes sense not to give it to people who are with weaker immune systems.
I dont think it's about being dumb. The race was to produce a vaccine for the known type of covid. When the ordering contracts etc for supply was made neither EU or UK were aware of specific new variants. To use such knowledge in hindsight doesn't convince me that the EU dealt with the procurement of vaccine well and the UK made a mistake? The virus will as is now known continue to mutate and vaccine companies will strive to adapt future vaccines to beat the virus. The world can't wait for a vaccine that can know and deal with unknown mutations. Better to get protection now even though not 100%.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
"Thats rubbish, it almost seems that the EU countries are rubbishing the vaccine, almost to get back at the Uk".

You're being too kind. Not "almost seems..." They are rubbishing it, led by the incompetent Brussels' EU Commissioner Ursula von der Leyen.
You being "competent" virology scientists, gives you moral grounds to rubbish comment.