Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Nissan seeking Spanish engineers to work in Sunderland

Nissan seeking Spanish engineers to work in Sunderland

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nissan seeking Spanish engineers to work in Sunderland

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Since they've announced this year the new Nissan 'pick up' is to be produced in Barcelona, that hardly seems likely. Besides which, if they were closing their Spanish plant, why seek out Spanish workers (they're looking for new recruits)?

http://www.catalannewsagency.com/new...uced-barcelona

I think the best answer is they are keeping their options open. At the moment the pound is weak against the Euro so it makes sense to keep production high at Sunderland. But by placing some Spanish engineers in there, they can quickly transfer production back over to Barcelona if the pound strengthens against the Euro.

Setting up production lines for specific models is a long term commitment for each plant involved.
Switching production of a model from one plant to the next at the drop of a hat is not an option.
Maybe they want to send some guys up there to see how the job can be done properly and efficiently, before bringing them back to spread the word ?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Setting up production lines for specific models is a long term commitment for each plant involved.
Switching production of a model from one plant to the next at the drop of a hat is not an option.
Maybe they want to send some guys up there to see how the job can be done properly and efficiently, before bringing them back to spread the word ?
Funnily enough, this link states the opposite

Nissan, the Japanese automotive giant, has quietly started looking for around 100 Spanish engineers to relocate to the UK to keep their Sunderland factory open. Lower wages, and a lack of suitable talent amongst British engineering graduates are the reason for the need to import workers from abroad.
http://www.thereader.es/local-busine...lant-open.html

As I said earlier I'm sceptical about all this. I still don't believe we don't have the necessary talent anymore in the UK. But maybe I'm wrong?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

As I said earlier I'm sceptical about all this. I still don't believe we don't have the necessary talent anymore in the UK. But maybe I'm wrong?
I'm sure we do, but unless you come from the NE, I can't see many wanting to move there! There are still a lot of the "stars" from the BBC that are refusing to go up to Birmingham.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I shall put out a few feelers to try and get to the bottom of it, but as stated maybe the low wage levels have as much to do with it as anything.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm sure we do, but unless you come from the NE, I can't see many wanting to move there! There are still a lot of the "stars" from the BBC that are refusing to go up to Birmingham.
Well to be fair, if some of the "stars" were appearing 50 yards from my house I still wouldn't want to go and see them.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:13 pm
On the road again.

From what feedback I've already had it seems clear that Nissan are not prepared to pay the going rate for UK engineers.

They are simply looking for qualified workers on the cheap.

Quite agree with you Steve about these so called stars.
I wouldn't give most of them the time of day and there again I probably wouldn't even recognise them if they jumped up and bit me on the nose.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:35 pm
On the road again.

Apparently another factor is that a lot of skilled workers have left Nissan for better pay and conditions on the continent and also quite a few have gone onto the oil rigs so basically it all seems to boil down to pay.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that the new Audi X3 4x4 is going to be built in the SEAT factory in Barcelona.

VW are pretty fussy about quality.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I think it is Salford that the BBC is relocating production to. Personally I think they would do well to remember the old adage that nobody is indispensable.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:14 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Interesting that the new Audi X3 4x4 is going to be built in the SEAT factory in Barcelona.

VW are pretty fussy about quality.

Depends what you mean by quality.
German cars, especially some VW and Audi models have featured pretty low in reliability surveys in recent times.
They may be fairly hi-tec and nice to drive but at the prices they charge reliability should come as standard.
I don't know precisely where they were all built, but I don't see them being offered with 5 or 7 year guarantees as standard and the cost of spares and repairs is horrendous.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting point.

The Which satisfaction survey of 63000 owners for the current year put Skoda in 4 of the top ten places beating Porsche and Lexus - Skodas of course are also VW cars.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:44 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Interesting point.

The Which satisfaction survey of 63000 owners for the current year put Skoda in 4 of the top ten places beating Porsche and Lexus - Skodas of course are also VW cars.
Still manufactured in the Czech Republic I believe.

Skoda itself had a long and interesting history in a great many fields before being taken over by VW.
They were the original designers and manufacturers of the Panzer tanks later used by the Germans when they occupied the country.

They had quite a good reputation quality wise before the Ruskies took them over and even then did the best they could with what was available.

I still have a 1973 Zetor tractor (made by Skoda) which was fairly advanced for its time and is still going strong.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I remember once seeing on tv a (not terribly scientific) 'blind' consumer trial of an unbadged car which got rave reviews from all and sundry...... only to be gobsmacked when they realised it was a Skoda.