Nisperos

Old May 11th 2014, 10:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nisperos

Just been offered some freshly picked nisperos so I suspect that this is the beginning of the avalanche of them. So what are your favourite ways of eating them, dealing with them? I would value ideas as I will soon get bored of them otherwise.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2014, 10:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nisperos

Skin them, remove the huge pips and put them in a fruit salad, or just bite into them - they are very juicy and quite sharp.

I don't think they would make good jam, but a chutney is a possibility.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Skin them, remove the huge pips and put them in a fruit salad, or just bite into them - they are very juicy and quite sharp.

I don't think they would make good jam, but a chutney is a possibility.
That is the way that I normally eat them and love them but not in the huge quantities that I receive them. I was thinking about bottling them but had not thought about making chutney, thank you. Have to search for a good recipe on the internet unless someone has a tried and test recipe that they would recommend.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2014, 11:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to bin them after a few

Chutney may be a good idea, I have made some good plum chutney.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I used to bin them after a few

Chutney may be a good idea, I have made some good plum chutney.
I can only eat a few at a time so usually end up binning quite a lot and wanted to stop the waste if possible. Unfortunately none of my friends seem to remember that one person cannot eat huge bag fulls at a time.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2014, 3:33 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I just eat them as any other fruit.

They have a flavour which I describe as a cross between a peach and an apple.

Wonderful fruit - also known as loquat.

Seeds are full of cyanide - one of the highest ISTR.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:54 pm

First bag now appeared, not too desperately large but still too many for me really. However, she said that they will be smaller or there will not be so many this year as we have not had enough rain for them.

I always think that they taste like a mix of apricot, plum, peach and apple. For me it very much depends on which friend brings them, some are much nicer than others. If I remember rightly from the last couple of years the best tasting are from this particualr person.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2014, 8:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I googled for recipes for you but all contained lots of other items which would have broke the bank such as cook with leg of lamb etc. there are one or two for marmalade.
Old May 12th 2014, 9:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few more ideas

http://www.pinterest.com/kkrush/stuf...-with-loquats/
Old May 12th 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I googled for recipes for you but all contained lots of other items which would have broke the bank such as cook with leg of lamb etc. there are one or two for marmalade.

Thanks for trying J2, I did the same and found that it would end up either costing a lot or was too much effort for one person.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Excellent, thank you so much Fred, there are a few things in there that I will try as they are cheap and simple.

Rosemary
Old May 16th 2014, 1:20 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Peel them, remove seeds & chop up into pieces them pop them in the freezer.
Make sure they freeze in separate pieces & not one big lump. Then you can just use them when you like, pop a few into a smoothy or fruit salad.
Just waiting for ours to ripen off a bit more then that's what I am doing.

Suzi
Old May 16th 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grebo
Peel them, remove seeds & chop up into pieces them pop them in the freezer.
Make sure they freeze in separate pieces & not one big lump. Then you can just use them when you like, pop a few into a smoothy or fruit salad.
Just waiting for ours to ripen off a bit more then that's what I am doing.

Suzi
I did not think about freezing them. When you thaw them out are they more mushy and are they sharper?

Rosemary
Old May 16th 2014, 5:02 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

I tend to put them straight into a smoothy still frozen so wouldn't know.
Probably would be a bit mushy though like most soft fruit.
Ours are really small this year, almost all seed not much to chop up.

Suzi
Old May 16th 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Grebo
I tend to put them straight into a smoothy still frozen so wouldn't know.
Probably would be a bit mushy though like most soft fruit.
Ours are really small this year, almost all seed not much to chop up.

Suzi
My friend said that they are going to be small and probably sparse this year because we have had so little rain.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2014, 8:38 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
My friend said that they are going to be small and probably sparse this year because we have had so little rain.

Rosemary
Mine are a disaster this year, likewise no rain but lots of tap water.
I get the impression that many plants don't thrive well on tap water alone for long periods, as is happening now in this drought affected area.

Just been watching a prog regarding the effects on farming areas.
One report suggested that half of the almond trees had died off.
Normally they can do ok on just a limited supply of rain but I think the water table in the Valencian area has dropped to an all time low and much of the normally green Campo here sadly seems to be turning into a desert, much like Almeria and Murcia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.