Reload this Page >

NIE with a quick turn around

NIE with a quick turn around

Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

GrahamH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIE with a quick turn around

Hi people,

Im moving to Gran Canaria in August and need to sort out a NIE. I have read on lots of forums about how to do it in person etc but it takes anything from 2-6 weeks for your NIE paper to be ready to be collected.

Problem is that im going to GC in April for a week and was hoping to sort it out then. But i wont be back till august to collect it, Will they hold it that long?? or is there a way to get a quick turn around of a day or 2??

I see that i can do it through a company in the UK but it seems to cost a fortune and i have to go to london etc to sign the docs.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE with a quick turn around

So much depends on the local police/foreigners office.

In theory it should be done while you wait - apart from a 15 minute delay while you go to the bank to pay the fee.

I suggest you just try it when you are there. You can download the form online from

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extranjeria/ex_14.pdf

If you are going to move there after 90 days you must sign on the foreigners register but you can do that as soon as you arrive if you intend to stay. They will issue a registration certificate with your new NIE number on it - you don't need separate certificates.

The form is different

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/ex...anje/ex_16.pdf
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

I have heard of people getting it done same day. I will have a car while over in GC in April. I dont know how many offices there are there where i can do this..... But maybe best to find a quieter one if poss.

Thanks for the info
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:33 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GrahamH
Hi people,

Im moving to Gran Canaria in August and need to sort out a NIE. I have read on lots of forums about how to do it in person etc but it takes anything from 2-6 weeks for your NIE paper to be ready to be collected.

Problem is that im going to GC in April for a week and was hoping to sort it out then. But i wont be back till august to collect it, Will they hold it that long?? or is there a way to get a quick turn around of a day or 2??

I see that i can do it through a company in the UK but it seems to cost a fortune and i have to go to london etc to sign the docs.
The problem is that it varies from place to place. I hope you can get an response from someone living in the town where you will be going as they will be able to tell what happens there. The application must be made in the National Police Documentation office for the area where you are living or staying. You cannot choose one.

Don't know if you wanna go that far, but I helped a guy who had been told he would have to wait three weeks, by suggesting that he ask the police for their complainants form. After a bit a show they did it there and then.

They will also probably still have the cert. for collection after a couple of months or you can write on the copy of the application that you are authorising someone else to collect it for you. That works at out local National Police office.

(Just in passing beware the word 'local'. The Policia Local are employed by the town hall and are not what we call real police. They in effect enforce the bye laws of the town, traffic, noisy dogs, opening licences etc. For example if they arrest someone they have to take then to the National Police or Guardia Civil)

Last edited by JulianWard; Mar 24th 2011 at 4:39 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NIE with a quick turn around

Originally Posted by GrahamH
Hi people,

When we got ours in 2004 we were over in Huelva for one week we had downloaded and filled in the forms and with some tension got in just before the 2.00pm deadline. Went home and returned 5 months later and thought they won't have them but will try anyway.

I was gobsmacked to get to the desk show my receipt and the girl turned round reached up on top of the cabinet on tip toe pulled down a box file opened that and fanned through the contents pulled out our NIE's and handed them over!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:07 am
Just Joined

divv is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone here comment on the Lawbird offering of organising an NIE for you from outside the country?
HTML Code:
http://nienumber.com/
I saw elsewhere on these forums that Lawbird is recommended by various users so I'd like to think this is legit but there are relatively few testimonials on their webpage...

As someone who is VERY far away this option would certainly save me in flights etc....
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:47 am
¿DĂ³nde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by divv
Can anyone here comment on the Lawbird offering of organising an NIE for you from outside the country?
HTML Code:
I saw elsewhere on these forums that Lawbird is recommended by various users so I'd like to think this is legit but there are relatively few testimonials on their webpage...

As someone who is VERY far away this option would certainly save me in flights etc....
I've never heard of Lawbird - but you, personally, can arrange a NIE at the Spanish Consulate in any country
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I've never heard of Lawbird - but you, personally, can arrange a NIE at the Spanish Consulate in any country
Thanks lynnxa - doesn't it take quite a while - up to 12 weeks - to do this?

Last edited by divv; Mar 28th 2011 at 12:49 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

I have heard of these also. But seem very expensive as theres other fees on top i believe and you have to travel to london to get paperwork witnessed etc.

Ill give it a go when i get there and see what happens. If it takes a while ill pop back in august and see if they have kept it from middle april. If not ill reapply
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

HTML Code:

Just had a look at their website - I thought their fee was fairly reasonable BUT they will need a Power of Attorney before they can apply for your NIE and I do not think for one moment that will be included in the price quoted. The Power of Attorney will have to be drafted in English and Spanish and then you will have to take it to a Notary in England for signature and then it will need to be apostilled before it can be used.

I would do as suggested try when you are over there!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:42 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Graham, I know I, more or less said this above, but maybe it got lost in the posts.

If you can speak to someone in the area where you are going (have your property or whatever) ask them to find out how the system for NIEs works there. If its by appointment ask them to make an appointment for you for when you will be there and for them to collect the application form and payments paper. If its a question of waiting in line for a number then you can do that when you are there.

The NIE should be issued as soon as you present the application.

NB. IT IS A VERY SIMPLE PROCESS YOU WILL NOT NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Good luck

PS I have worked as a volunteer interpreter with the National Police In Spain for 16 years.

Last edited by JulianWard; Mar 28th 2011 at 1:46 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulianWard

The NIE should be issued as soon as you present the application.
That's interesting - even when doing it in person I had read it takes weeks...
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

In the Benidorm area we have to go back in about two weeks to get clients' NIES. I do know that you can get them in Alicante the same day though but you have to hang around from early morning.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NIE with a quick turn around

Here in Huelva it seems to be same day if you turn up with all the correct paperwork and copies and are early enough to go to the bank to pay the ten euro fee. The form for the fee does not seem to be available except at the counter where you submit your application and the office is only open 09.00-14.00 so if you are not early then the banks have closed before you can get your paperworked stamped and then take the form to the bank to pay.

The big problem here is getting the appointment I have tried many times online without success and I understand that phone appointments are now in September.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:16 pm
Banned

In Fuengirola, they introduced an appointment system. I popped into the ComisarĂ­a's office and thanked him on behalf of the 'customers' for introducing the system. I was gob smacked when he replied, he had only done so because he did not want people queuing out his station and making it look untidy !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.