NIE Questions

Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Treegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant future
Default NIE Questions

After a long process I finally have my NIE, only to discover at the bottom of the certificate that it is only valid for three months. Exact wording: Este certificado tiene una validez de tres meses

Does that mean I have to reapply for a NIE within three months, or is it simply a certificate of proof?
If the latter, I suppose the NIE is now officially mine, but if I need to supply proof I’d need to go back and apply for the cert again - is that right?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE Questions

The number is for life, but for some formal purposes, the actual certificate has an expiry date. If it's out of date, you just get a new certificate.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Treegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant future

Cool, thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The reason they do this is because they expect you to sign on the list of foreigners after three months - that is, get what people refer to as a residencia.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

How do I get a residencia? Is that the same as being empadronado?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:43 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treegod
How do I get a residencia? Is that the same as being empadronado?
No it's not.

You are obliged to sign on the list of foreigners within 90 days of being 'resident' in Spain. You go to the same place as you got your NIE (extranjeria normally associated with the National Police). Prove you have health cover via an S1 (if a state pensioner from UK), a work contract in Spain or a private health policy and that you have sufficient income/savings to support yourself and that's about it.

You get a padron, once you have signed on the list of foreigners, at the town hall.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

You don't usually need the certificate for most things. Just the number itself. But I have actually used my expired certificate a couple of times without a problem.

- Eric S.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 3:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it just depends on who is asking for it.

We still use our old residencia cards for ID and they expired about 6 years ago!
Old Sep 1st 2015, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

You are obliged to sign on the list of foreigners within 90 days of being 'resident' in Spain. You go to the same place as you got your NIE (extranjeria normally associated with the National Police). Prove you have health cover via an S1 (if a state pensioner from UK), a work contract in Spain or a private health policy and that you have sufficient income/savings to support yourself and that's about it.
I'm glad I asked now. I thought I'd finished!
Another couple of hours waiting in the station, then.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Treegod, if i am only a holiday home bod do i still need to go to the town hall and register? & if so is there any benifit in me doing this? Thx
Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:50 am

You should only sign onto the Padron if you are a full time resident.