NIE question

Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIE question

Hi folks just a quickie, I got my NIE card yesterday and my social number but was told by the policeman who did the paperwork that I needed to carry around my passport this seemed a strange request for an EU citizen, the card I can understand. Can anyone comment here please.
cheers
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE question

Originally Posted by Liana12433
Hi folks just a quickie, I got my NIE card yesterday and my social number but was told by the policeman who did the paperwork that I needed to carry around my passport this seemed a strange request for an EU citizen, the card I can understand. Can anyone comment here please.
cheers
It's because, unlike most other member states, we do not have an Identity Card and therefore we need to have a passport - or a notarised copy - with us at all times in most countries, including Spain, to verify our identity if asked by a competent authority (ie the Police or GC)

Actually, if you think about it the answer is in your question. How would anybody know that you are an EU citizen if you have no means of showing it?

Last edited by MikeJ; Jul 21st 2015 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 5:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana12433
cheers
.... because I'm a pedant ....

There's no such thing as an NIE card - what you have is your 'certificate of registration on the list of foreigners' or 'residencia' as many call it. Yes, your NIE number is on it but it's far more than just that.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

An easy solution is to get a Spanish driving licence. This serves as ID for just about anything and is accepted by the Guardia Civil and police.

I once had a problem in a tiny B@B in Soria.. the programme the owner was using didn't accept it for some reason but I just gave him my passport number and it was OK.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I just use my UK driving licence photo card, it has always been accepted. By the way the N.I.E is not the same as a residencia card.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

TO my understanding a residencia card doesn't exist as such but the Spanish license is to most intents and purposes the same thing. It has the advantage of having the N.I.E number and a photo so it serves many purposes ( e.g. proving ID for paying with bank cards, hotel registrations and anywhere ID is required to enter a building)).
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
TO my understanding a residencia card doesn't exist as such but the Spanish license is to most intents and purposes the same thing. It has the advantage of having the N.I.E number and a photo so it serves many purposes ( e.g. proving ID for paying with bank cards, hotel registrations and anywhere ID is required to enter a building)).
A Spanish driving licence is NOT valid ID.
Many people do accept it as such but they are not supposed to - just saying ...

There is no such thing as an NIE card as I said before.

Residencia cards do exist surely - isn't that what a DNI card is for Spanish opeople and non-eu visitors?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
Correct. The only people who still get issued with an old style "residencia" card are the non EU family members of an EU citizen.

The green form/card specifically says it cannot be used for ID purposes or for proof of nationality - in other words, it's not worth the (green) paper it's printed on!

The Spanish driving license contains all the info that you would find on a Spanish ID card except for your address, but that is on the computer so it can be called up immediately. That is why it is normally accepted as adequate ID.

The only totally legal form of ID for a Brit is a UK passport.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 22nd 2015 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all thanks for all the info, OK I have a green card certificado de registro de cuidedano de la Union with a NIE number whether you call it a card or not it is small. There are a range of answers on here and just for safety will carry my passport like I had to in Russia. I am planning to take my driving test in the coming months and whether i use that or a notorised copy of my passport as one poster has suggested is up for debate.
Settling into a very hot Castille Y Leon.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:39 am
Retired and loving it!

For your driving test, they will INSIST on seeing the originals. Passport, (green) certificate, etc. etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

No Problemo, just trying to figure out a center which can do the theory test in English and hopefully the driving as well possibly in Madrid as it is not too far away. All those docs I have.