Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE/Healthcare catch 22 conundrum....

NIE/Healthcare catch 22 conundrum....

Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default NIE/Healthcare catch 22 conundrum....

Hi all. For those of you who dont know. We relocated to sunny Santa Agnes (Barelona) with the wife's company and have been here an enjoyable month now. The company employed a relocation company to help ease us in and arrange all the things we have to get sorted as newbie Catalans. So we've just trusted them to know how to make everything all official & proper. Sadly though today we've hit a bit of a wall. My wife has private healthcare organised by the company and got her NIE a breeze. Mine has been a bit of a mare so far. We tried to add me on the private scheme, but because I have a bugger of a small rice crispie sized kidney stone, they said no chance. So, no problem Im told by the Relocation bods. They'll just pop me down as a dependent to the fully paid up wife. So, our first visit to the rozzers to try and get my NIE (Barcelona central) didnt go as planned. Apparently my wedding cert wasnt enough of a wedding cert. They want it dated within 3 months. The same for the baby daughter. Her birth cert wasnt good enough either. I was told to get another official copy of each dated within 3 months. (Which as we got married in Hawaii caused us no end of grief to sort ) Roll fwd to today and our second visits for both the NIE and Healthcare. The considerably grumpy policeman type spoke with our relocation bod. And then it was translated back to me that I couldnt get my NIE without being registered for public healthcare. So off we went to get that done.....where I was then told I couldnt register for public healthcare without my NIE I asked what they suggest we do, and they just told us to write a letter to complain....!? Not sure if Im getting duff advice, a duff agent, or duff translation. But if I cant get one without the other..or the other without the one....I feel like Im in a catch 22 chicken & egg anti male dependent twilight zone So as my relocation bod drives off back to the office convinced she's doing everything right and she cant understand why we cant be added as dependents....I thought Id ask here for a second (third, fourth, fifth etc) opinion. Cheers all. Mike
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE/Healthcare catch 22 conundrum....

Welcome to Spain!
Look at Spanish bureaucracy on YouTube - it's funny, because it's true!
I think Larryzx could help you
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Welcome to Spain!
Look at Spanish bureaucracy on YouTube - it's funny, because it's true!
I think Larryzx could help you
The Intereconomia one....Ive just watched it. Haha. Oh god....doesn't bode well.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t2uds
Hi all. For those of you who dont know. We relocated to sunny Santa Agnes (Barelona) with the wife's company and have been here an enjoyable month now. The company employed a relocation company to help ease us in and arrange all the things we have to get sorted as newbie Catalans. So we've just trusted them to know how to make everything all official & proper. Sadly though today we've hit a bit of a wall. My wife has private healthcare organised by the company and got her NIE a breeze. Mine has been a bit of a mare so far. We tried to add me on the private scheme, but because I have a bugger of a small rice crispie sized kidney stone, they said no chance. So, no problem Im told by the Relocation bods. They'll just pop me down as a dependent to the fully paid up wife. So, our first visit to the rozzers to try and get my NIE (Barcelona central) didnt go as planned. Apparently my wedding cert wasnt enough of a wedding cert. They want it dated within 3 months. The same for the baby daughter. Her birth cert wasnt good enough either. I was told to get another official copy of each dated within 3 months. (Which as we got married in Hawaii caused us no end of grief to sort ) Roll fwd to today and our second visits for both the NIE and Healthcare. The considerably grumpy policeman type spoke with our relocation bod. And then it was translated back to me that I couldnt get my NIE without being registered for public healthcare. So off we went to get that done.....where I was then told I couldnt register for public healthcare without my NIE I asked what they suggest we do, and they just told us to write a letter to complain....!? Not sure if Im getting duff advice, a duff agent, or duff translation. But if I cant get one without the other..or the other without the one....I feel like Im in a catch 22 chicken & egg anti male dependent twilight zone So as my relocation bod drives off back to the office convinced she's doing everything right and she cant understand why we cant be added as dependents....I thought Id ask here for a second (third, fourth, fifth etc) opinion. Cheers all. Mike
you can get a NIE without healthcare - what you can't do is register as resident

go back with the correct form already completed - the EX15 - you DON'T tell them that you are living here - say you need it for a non-resident bank account if they ask

once you have the NIE then you can be registered as your wife's dependents & get Social Security numbers - though you will need officially translated copies of the birth & wedding certs

once you have the SS numbers you can register for public healthcare & then register as resident
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you can get a NIE without healthcare - what you can't do is register as resident

go back with the correct form already completed - the EX15 - you DON'T tell them that you are living here - say you need it for a non-resident bank account if they ask

once you have the NIE then you can be registered as your wife's dependents & get Social Security numbers - though you will need officially translated copies of the birth & wedding certs

once you have the SS numbers you can register for public healthcare & then register as resident
Perfect. Bob on.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

you DON'T tell them that you are living here - say you need it for a non-resident bank account if they ask

I cant have this cock up a third time with the local rozzers. Will they go as far as ask what I need a non resident bank account for? If so whats the most valid reason to have one which is least likely for me to fail again? Ta
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I cant have this cock up a third time with the local rozzers. Will they go as far as ask what I need a non resident bank account for? If so whats the most valid reason to have one which is least likely for me to fail again? Ta
You can have a non-resident account for a number of reasons but the most likely is to pay bills for a holiday property that you own.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 4:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

you could just say that you are planning to move here later in the year & want to start putting money into an account in advance of your move
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks all. Very much appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

I have another appointment booked for the morning with the local Police. But Ive noticed a few of the sites say I need to take this with me:

"Written justification of why you need the NIE (issued by an accountant, a notary, a bank manager, an insurance agent a future employer, etc.)"

Its never ending. How do I get around that mallarky then....
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I have another appointment booked for the morning with the local Police. But Ive noticed a few of the sites say I need to take this with me:

"Written justification of why you need the NIE (issued by an accountant, a notary, a bank manager, an insurance agent a future employer, etc.)"

Its never ending. How do I get around that mallarky then....
everyone I know has just taken the completed EX15 form & their passport - paid the money & been told when to return to collect the NIE

no mallarky at all
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:44 am
Just Joined

alancorner is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do not have a Spanish address yet do you put your present address on the form EX15
Old Sep 29th 2014, 8:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alancorner
If you do not have a Spanish address yet do you put your present address on the form EX15
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

everyone I know has just taken the completed EX15 form & their passport - paid the money & been told when to return to collect the NIE

no mallarky at all
Well it seems theyre a bit more of the arsey variety up here in my end of Catalonia Land.

We got it..just.

Thankfully we had the helper from the relocation agency as we were nearly sent packing a third time!? I think it made a difference having a bona fide Catalan rather than some English native tongue type speaking Spanish to them. She had a tough time by all accounts, I was having flashbacks to that youtube vid mentioned above. Afterwards while we waited in the square, she went to make the payment at the bank. When she returned we asked if it went ok....and she burst into tears!? Apparently no one would take the payment because it was after 1030? And some chap was especially vile to her....which kicked off the tears on her return. Think it all built up a bit too much for her. Im not the best when someone cries anyway. Especially when Im trying to wrestle my toddler from trying to kill a pigeon.
But eitherway. She does it for a living. And she still cried.

Thanks for the heads up on the temp NIE. One thing off my headache list. Cheers all.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well it seems theyre a bit more of the arsey variety up here in my end of Catalonia Land.

We got it..just.

Thankfully we had the helper from the relocation agency as we were nearly sent packing a third time!? I think it made a difference having a bona fide Catalan rather than some English native tongue type speaking Spanish to them. She had a tough time by all accounts, I was having flashbacks to that youtube vid mentioned above. Afterwards while we waited in the square, she went to make the payment at the bank. When she returned we asked if it went ok....and she burst into tears!? Apparently no one would take the payment because it was after 1030? And some chap was especially vile to her....which kicked off the tears on her return. Think it all built up a bit too much for her. Im not the best when someone cries anyway. Especially when Im trying to wrestle my toddler from trying to kill a pigeon.
But eitherway. She does it for a living. And she still cried.

Thanks for the heads up on the temp NIE. One thing off my headache list. Cheers all.
You will be requesting it as if you are temporary but the NIE is not temporary. once you have the number it is yours for life.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.