Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE. Does it expire?

NIE. Does it expire?

Old May 22nd 2024, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

softlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIE. Does it expire?

I got my NIE back in 2009 when I was living in Madrid. I was always under the impression that it did not expire. Have I got that wrong? When I log onto my Sabadell banking app, I get a warning to say I need to renew my NIE. Is that correct? The one I do have is green, A4 sized, with the address I was living in at the time. For information, I do not reside in Spain. I am a UK resident. Thanks for all your replies.
Old May 22nd 2024, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE. Does it expire?

Originally Posted by softlad
I got my NIE back in 2009 when I was living in Madrid. I was always under the impression that it did not expire. Have I got that wrong? When I log onto my Sabadell banking app, I get a warning to say I need to renew my NIE. Is that correct? The one I do have is green, A4 sized, with the address I was living in at the time. For information, I do not reside in Spain. I am a UK resident. Thanks for all your replies.
Your NIE (tax number) doesn't expire until you do.
The requirement from Sabadell, or any non resident Spanish bank account, is to confirm that you're still a UK tax payer. They usually let the AEAT know this every couple of years and charge you for this.
Old May 22nd 2024, 4:13 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I think Sabadell may be asking you to scan your residency card/certificate as part of Know Your Customer.

Is it an account for residents or non-residents?
Old May 22nd 2024, 4:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The green, A4 sized piece of paper is NOT your NIE. It is actually proof of being resident in Spain!

Something seems to be wrong here. Just your NIE comes on a white A4 sheet of paper. The green one (some call it a CUE) is for residents but shows your NIE as well.

Sabadell are asking for proof that you are still resident, they do this from time to time. In your case, your CUE has expired (I suspect) so you need to confirm with Sabadell that your account is a non-resident one.
Old May 23rd 2024, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

softlad is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ Thanks for the posts folks. Now I am really confused. I have not lived in Spain since 2009/2010 when I spent a year teaching English in Madrid. Anyhow, here is the top of the form. Bottom half has my name, name of my late (beloved parents ) and the address I was living at when I got the document. Any how I have attached the top part here without any personal details. Any advice would be gratefully rec'd.

Top half of document. No indication of any date of expiry.

Last edited by softlad; May 23rd 2024 at 6:10 am.
Old May 23rd 2024, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That's your EU citizen registration certificate (residency certificate) . The very old ones were A4 size more recent ones credit card size and since 2020 for UK citizens generally TIE card.
Old May 23rd 2024, 8:16 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to assume your account is a resident's account as that's what you would have opened when resident in Spain.

You could try uploading a scan of the certificate and your passport, but they could insist on a TIE which could cause problems.

Or you could say you're not resident any more and switch to a non-resident's account if they allow it. Then they may ask you for a certificate of non-residency...
Old May 23rd 2024, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Thanks for the posts folks. Now I am really confused. I have not lived in Spain since 2009/2010 when I spent a year teaching English in Madrid. Anyhow, here is the top of the form. Bottom half has my name, name of my late (beloved parents ) and the address I was living at when I got the document. Any how I have attached the top part here without any personal details. Any advice would be gratefully rec'd.

Top half of document. No indication of any date of expiry.
Your certificate shows issued as a permanent resident. I think I am correct in saying that would have allowed you to be out of Spain for up to 2 years after which time it would lapse. My understanding is that if you are leaving Spain permanent as you did you should really have re attended the police station and cancelled it? You need to speak with Sabadel as from that certificate and their request that you should obtain not a new NIE as that is forever but a TIE card means they assume you are resident and have a resident bank account rather than a non resident one which is what you should have. I don't know if there are any consequences in having a resident account when you are not resident but i would suggest better to speak with them and correct that and then seek some advice re the residency part as to whether you need to formally cancel it or if it's just now lapsed? Your NIE number will be unaffected either way.
Old May 23rd 2024, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is not what you think. The message you received is a machine translation from Spanish. If you check your notifications or messages from the bank you will find that it is a request from the bank that you ratify your details - in this case your NIE- which the bank then sends to the Spanish authorities. It is part of their control on money laundering.This happens every now and then. It will tell you you need to contact the bank ( usually in person) by a specific date or the account will be blocked. The word expiry is wrongly used because the system is unable to succinctly generate the appropriate one word message in English

Last edited by 1sexsmith; May 23rd 2024 at 6:48 pm.
Old May 23rd 2024, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
The issue is not what you think. The message you received is a machine translation from Spanish. If you check your notifications or messages from the bank you will find that it is a request from the bank that you ratify your details - in this case your NIE- which the bank then sends to the Spanish authorities. It is part of their control on money laundering.This happens every now and then. It will tell you you need to contact the bank ( usually in person) by a specific date or the account will be blocked. The word expiry is wrongly used because the system is unable to succinctly generate the appropriate one word message in Spanish.
In addition to this though the OP needs to resolve the issue that they have re type of bank account and that they registered as a resident in Spain . Is that cancelled or do they need to cancel it and get correct type of bank account?
Old May 23rd 2024, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
In addition to this though the OP needs to resolve the issue that they have re type of bank account and that they registered as a resident in Spain . Is that cancelled or do they need to cancel it and get correct type of bank account?
As I said this very much sounds like a routine check by the bank for FATCA which is sent to AEAT. The OP should have correspondence on their banking App alerting them to this and it is showing up as a translation issue as expired NIE. The basis of the thing is to confirm if the OP is still a resident. Clearly they haven't changed their account to non resident and a period of time has passed and the check has been requested. It is highly unlikely that any of this can be done over the phone as it probably requires you to go to your branch and present passport etc ( although a phone call is the first port of call). If the OP doesn't do it the account will be blocked.

​​​
Old May 23rd 2024, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
As I said this very much sounds like a routine check by the bank for FATCA which is sent to AEAT. The OP should have correspondence on their banking App alerting them to this and it is showing up as a translation issue as expired NIE. The basis of the thing is to confirm if the OP is still a resident. Clearly they haven't changed their account to non resident and a period of time has passed and the check has been requested. It is highly unlikely that any of this can be done over the phone as it probably requires you to go to your branch and present passport etc ( although a phone call is the first port of call). If the OP doesn't do it the account will be blocked.

​​​
Yes agree it needs sorting
Old May 23rd 2024, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes agree it needs sorting
Yes .... Speaking from family experience Sabadell are very rigid on the blocking if you dont update your details as requested (understandably) . I tend to update mine proactively once a year or so when I go into the branch.
Old May 23rd 2024, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are UK resident then do you actually need a Spanish bank A/C?

Even if you own property you don't necessarily need a Spanish bank A/C to pay your bills with, some of the online banks (N26, Revolut) offer Spanish IBAN's and you'll get none of the nonsense you're getting from Sabadell with them!
Old May 23rd 2024, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
If you are UK resident then do you actually need a Spanish bank A/C?

Even if you own property you don't necessarily need a Spanish bank A/C to pay your bills with, some of the online banks (N26, Revolut) offer Spanish IBAN's and you'll get none of the nonsense you're getting from Sabadell with them!
Revolut dont offer a Spanish IBAN to UK residents and you cant open an N26 account as a UK resident (unless anything has changed). Wise gives you an EU IBAN but some entities wont accept it in Spain although many will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.