NIE to a DNI

Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default NIE to a DNI

I have had my NIE for almost a year now and I know I can apply for a DNI at the one year mark. Anyone know where I have to go to do this? I wasnt sure if it was the police station down from the train station in valencia or if I have to go to the foreigners immigration office.
I need to apply for the DNI and a Spanish passport. are they at the same place??
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:27 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE to a DNI

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
I have had my NIE for almost a year now and I know I can apply for a DNI at the one year mark. Anyone know where I have to go to do this? I wasnt sure if it was the police station down from the train station in valencia or if I have to go to the foreigners immigration office.
I need to apply for the DNI and a Spanish passport. are they at the same place??
You can only get a DNI if you are a Spanish citizen.

Are you sure that's what you mean?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

after one year i can become a spanish citizen because i am married to one. they told me when i got my NIE that after a year I can apply for citizenship and change to a DNI
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt this done, or at least commenced, at the Extranjero office where you got your NIE from ??
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
after one year i can become a spanish citizen because i am married to one. they told me when i got my NIE that after a year I can apply for citizenship and change to a DNI
There are some details about the procedure here:-

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...l-nationality/

Like anything legal in Spain it probably won't be a simple as it seems!

You will also have to renounce your present nationality. Dual citizenship is not recognised in Spain.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There are some details about the procedure here:-

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...l-nationality/

Like anything legal in Spain it probably won't be a simple as it seems!

You will also have to renounce your present nationality. Dual citizenship is not recognised in Spain.
what a pity UK isnt the same and they have to return their passports.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

yes. the nice thing is Canada doesnt care if you have citizenship somewhere else too so I will still be Canadian.
I went to the Immigration office to apply for my NIE. so I assume i go back there for the citizenship application?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:46 pm

Yes the immigration office is your best bet.

Irrespective of what they think in Canada about dual citizenship, it is not recognised in Spain.

Just don't try to use your "old" passport in Spain.