Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE Amendment - advice needed

NIE Amendment - advice needed

Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice
Default NIE Amendment - advice needed

I have an NIE but am now moving to another apartment so need to get the address changed on the NIE. How do I go about this? Is there an amendment form? Do I have to go back to the NIE office in Almeria and do it there or can it be done by post? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE Amendment - advice needed

Originally Posted by Linken1647
I have an NIE but am now moving to another apartment so need to get the address changed on the NIE. How do I go about this? Is there an amendment form? Do I have to go back to the NIE office in Almeria and do it there or can it be done by post? Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you need to

we've moved since we got ours & haven't changed it - still using the numbers & no-one has ever questioned the address
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:10 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't need to change it.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I some cases the NIE form does not even show an address.

Sorry to drift off a bit but another anomaly is that if you have renewed your passport since applying for your NIE the passport number you gave at the time will not be the same as that of your new passport.

This obviously applies to all official documents on which you have used your passport number and is why you should keep all of your old passports to avoid any difficulty over passport numbers that do not coincide.

If UK citizens were issued with identity cards or, at least, kept the same passport on renewal this would not be a problem.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linken1647
I would recommend changing it, go back to where you originally got it, we did this without too much hassle

The only reason being should you need it to confirm your address for something (which is why we needed to change ours) then the info will be incorrect
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, you don't need to change it.

I can now uncross
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:42 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think folks are getting a bit confused here.
You apply for a NIE and that document is sent to your “domicilio” (address). This document issued by the “Ministreio del Interior” via the local police. It seemly does not have a name or form number.
From this you are then issued either a card, which are now obsolete or a “Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union” (Cert-union). Both the card and the Cert-union have your address on them. When you move you must inform the police that you have done. They will issue a new card or Cert-union. We have had our cards renewed and now possess the Cert-union. The guy that issued ours said it is valid for life as long as you do not move. If you are issued a Cert-union, then you will not need any photos.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I think folks are getting a bit confused here.
You apply for a NIE and that document is sent to your “domicilio” (address). This document issued by the “Ministreio del Interior” via the local police. It seemly does not have a name or form number.
From this you are then issued either a card, which are now obsolete or a “Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union” (Cert-union). Both the card and the Cert-union have your address on them. When you move you must inform the police that you have done. They will issue a new card or Cert-union. We have had our cards renewed and now possess the Cert-union. The guy that issued ours said it is valid for life as long as you do not move. If you are issued a Cert-union, then you will not need any photos.
I'm talking about my NIE number, which is a bit of paper, and which I got from the National police
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

From this you are then issued either a card, which are now obsolete or a [I]“Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union” .
That is only the case for residents.

There are many non resident property owners, or tenants who only have an NIE so the system will only have the address used for the application. This, in many cases, is a lawyers or other temporary address.

Even in this case there is no requirement to advise the police if you do move.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:05 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is only the case for residents.

There are many non resident property owners, or tenants who only have an NIE so the system will only have the address used for the application. This, in many cases, is a lawyers or other temporary address.

Even in this case there is no requirement to advise the police if you do move.

Fred, the OP has not stated if they are resident or not. However your information brings into question what we were told by the police, only just last week.

So to weighing up: If you have a system of registration for the population, together with the expense that entails for the state (in this case Spain); does it not seem crazy that you do not have to inform anybody that your address has changed. Why have the registration system in the first place?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It is a National number so it covers all of Spain regardless of where you move to in Spain, My daughter tried to change her name on hers when she married and they laughed and said don`t bother, if you are worried just keep your old passport to prove you are two people with one number. lol
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:06 pm

Why have the registration system in the first place?
NIE is not a registration system as such - it is the provision of a Fiscal Identity. It is the same as the NIF number for Spaniards but only for foreigners.

It is needed for any major transaction, many of which are carried out by non residents such as buying a property.

Under EU law you have free movement, as a visitor, within the EU without any requirement to register in any way. After 90 days in one country your visitor status no longer applies and a registration procedure MAY be implemented. Spain chooses to do this, not every EU country does.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Your NIE number should be registered with AEAT for tax purposes and it is they (AEAT) that should be informed of any change of address on form 030.