Reload this Page >

Newcomer to forum!!

Newcomer to forum!!

Old May 7th 2007, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

valandgef is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newcomer to forum!!

Hi all,

We live in Tyne & Wear at present but are re-locating to our place in Playa Flamenca as soon as our house sale goes through, hopefully in next few weeks. The forum has been a great source of information for us. We originally were going to do Eurotunnel route & drive thro France to Spain as we are taking our rather nervous Bull Mastiff with us. We have since decided to do the Plymouth Santander route, and what I wanted to ask those that have done the crossing with a dog, do they settle alright in those cages and can you have access to them at any time??
Old May 7th 2007, 4:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomer to forum!!

Hi there and welcome, I hope you find what you are looking for here on the forum, there are a few people in or near Playa Flamenca and a few have taken dogs over by land and sea, so I'm pretty sure you will find all the answers you will need.

I am pretty useless in terms of info but I wanted to welcome you anyway.
Old May 7th 2007, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome! I have noticed a few from our area in Spain, I look forward to "picking their brains"
Old May 7th 2007, 4:43 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valandgef
Hi all,

We live in Tyne & Wear at present but are re-locating to our place in Playa Flamenca as soon as our house sale goes through, hopefully in next few weeks. The forum has been a great source of information for us. We originally were going to do Eurotunnel route & drive thro France to Spain as we are taking our rather nervous Bull Mastiff with us. We have since decided to do the Plymouth Santander route, and what I wanted to ask those that have done the crossing with a dog, do they settle alright in those cages and can you have access to them at any time??
Hey welcome, I used to live in Playa Flamenca
Old May 7th 2007, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
Hey welcome, I used to live in Playa Flamenca
Thanks, where have you moved to??
Old May 7th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome

I'm afraid I can't help you regarding the Plymouth to Santander route, but we brought our GSD over last year on the Portsmouth to Caen crossing.

I was having kittens about how she would cope, but we reluctantly left here in the car (no cage required - is that just something specific to the Santander crossing because it's longer? )

We knew from the P&O website that you were allowed to go and check on your pet, providing that you made an arrangement once you got on board.
We were given a specific time when we were permitted to go down onto the car deck, and we found our dog fast asleep with not a care in the world!!

Maybe it's worth consulting the ferry company's website, and finding out whether you can have access to your dog?
I'm sure you must be able to, because it's a 24 hour crossing isn't it!
What happens about feeding and comfort breaks for your dog!?

Just something to be aware of; do you know that dogs in cars in Spain are meant to be secured inside the car when travelling - i.e either in a cage, or wearing a safety harness?
It's a good idea, and something I think the UK should adopt.
You don't always see people adhering to it here, but I'd hate you to be pulled over by the Guardia for it

Good luck in your travels and your new venture
Old May 7th 2007, 4:49 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, where have you moved to??
Moved up north a bit Javea/Denia.
Old May 7th 2007, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brisca
Hello and welcome

I'm afraid I can't help you regarding the Plymouth to Santander route, but we brought our GSD over last year on the Portsmouth to Caen crossing.

I was having kittens about how she would cope, but we reluctantly left here in the car (no cage required - is that just something specific to the Santander crossing because it's longer? )

We knew from the P&O website that you were allowed to go and check on your pet, providing that you made an arrangement once you got on board.
We were given a specific time when we were permitted to go down onto the car deck, and we found our dog fast asleep with not a care in the world!!

Maybe it's worth consulting the ferry company's website, and finding out whether you can have access to your dog?
I'm sure you must be able to, because it's a 24 hour crossing isn't it!
What happens about feeding and comfort breaks for your dog!?

Just something to be aware of; do you know that dogs in cars in Spain are meant to be secured inside the car when travelling - i.e either in a cage, or wearing a safety harness?
It's a good idea, and something I think the UK should adopt.
You don't always see people adhering to it here, but I'd hate you to be pulled over by the Guardia for it

Good luck in your travels and your new venture
Thanks, yes you have to book a kennel on the Santander route, they are not allowed to stay in the car. The website says you can have access to your pet and can walk them on the deck outside the kennels, but not sure if this is at restricted times. Thanks for the info about securing dogs inside the car, I wasn't aware of that, need to do some more research!!
Old May 7th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes you have to book a kennel on the Santander route, they are not allowed to stay in the car. The website says you can have access to your pet and can walk them on the deck outside the kennels, but not sure if this is at restricted times. Thanks for the info about securing dogs inside the car, I wasn't aware of that, need to do some more research!!

In that case, I'm sure your dog will be absolutely fine.
It sounds like the ferry company has got things pretty well organised.

Glad to be of help regarding the car travel.
I have to say we were totally unaware of this when we travelled down through France and Spain
Seeing as our van was jam packed to the rafters, our dog didn't have a whole lot of room - but thankfully she was safe, and just happy to be with us.

Best of luck to you
Old May 7th 2007, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brisca
In that case, I'm sure your dog will be absolutely fine.
It sounds like the ferry company has got things pretty well organised.

Glad to be of help regarding the car travel.
I have to say we were totally unaware of this when we travelled down through France and Spain
Seeing as our van was jam packed to the rafters, our dog didn't have a whole lot of room - but thankfully she was safe, and just happy to be with us.

Best of luck to you
thanks brisca!!

We are not travelling down in a van but a Zafira, so she will have plenty of room in the back to herself. Not bringing furniture out, just personal belongings, oh & OH!

Many thanks for info.
Old May 7th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Welcome valandgef, best of luck with your move, hope everthing goes well with your move and with your dog I am sure it will. We are going to have to fly our dog over when we move I'm dreading it, but I've heard good and bad reports .
Old May 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Not done a crossing with a dog, but do live in Playa Flamenca.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

welcome........I don't have a dog, nor do I live in Playa Flamenca

but welcome
Old May 8th 2007, 8:31 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
Old May 9th 2007, 10:37 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I have a cat but no dog. I don't live in Playa Flamenca and the only ferry I have been on is the one in Woolwich, but I'm not going to that that stop me from saying "welcome to BE, I'm sure you will gain a fountain of knowledge from everyone here and make many good friends to boot". Good wishes for when you make the journey all will go well I'm sure.