Reload this Page >

newbie looking for advice

newbie looking for advice

Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

natalieuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie looking for advice

hi
me and my family are looking into emigrating to spain and was just wondering if you could help answer a few questions?? id be very grateful. im 26 and my partner is 29, we have 2 children aged 3 and 9 months. were just wondering really how hard/easy it is to make the move and find jobs etc. we plan on learning spanish before we made the move and renting a property. i have a national diploma in childcare and my partner is a hgv driver. weve tried to research it on the internet as we would feel a lot more comfortable about the move if 1 of us at, at least, had a job to come to..
thankyou
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:31 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie looking for advice

There is mass unemployment in Spain, much worse than the UK and unless you've paid into their system, there are no benefits available, I'd wait til things get better. Dont give up your life, security, family and friends right now - it would be costly and difficult, especially with kids

Jo xxx
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natalieuk1
hi
me and my family are looking into emigrating to spain and was just wondering if you could help answer a few questions?? id be very grateful. im 26 and my partner is 29, we have 2 children aged 3 and 9 months. were just wondering really how hard/easy it is to make the move and find jobs etc. we plan on learning spanish before we made the move and renting a property. i have a national diploma in childcare and my partner is a hgv driver. weve tried to research it on the internet as we would feel a lot more comfortable about the move if 1 of us at, at least, had a job to come to..
thankyou
I reckon that for anyone you need at least enough money to live for a year whilst looking for work etc.
A lot would depend on the region you choose, work wise.
Both your qualifications could be used here, which is an advantage.
The moving part is easy, it's the reasons behind the move that are best looked at in depth.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends here was a HGV driver who was running mainly between UK and the south of Spain, he eventually relocated to this end of his run whilst still maintaining his job.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

natalieuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou everyone for the replys. i always wanted to move abroad and never did but after a recent holiday to salou it confirmed what ive always known, that id love to give living out there a try. we only rent over here so wouldnt be giving up our own house etc. i have tried searching for jobs but a lot of the sites are, of course, spanish. wondering if anyone has any good sites for hgv jobs. thankyou in advance x
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:07 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

thankyou everyone for the replys. i always wanted to move abroad and never did but after a recent holiday to salou it confirmed what ive always known, that id love to give living out there a try. we only rent over here so wouldnt be giving up our own house etc. i have tried searching for jobs but a lot of the sites are, of course, spanish. wondering if anyone has any good sites for hgv jobs. thankyou in advance x
Hi, as you said you'd better learn Spanish before coming, give yourself at least a year of serious learning so that you can manage to survive. Enough money for a year is also advisable even if you come with a job, as work is so unstable nowadays. No chance of getting a job without the language, but in your case I guess that many Spanish families would like an English nana or canguro to teach their kids at the same time, so you might get some children. However they would have to inspect your place and it might be easier to work at the parents' place. Some Spanish nurseries would also be interested, but you definitely need Spanish for that.

And of course, please make sure that your kids take part of the experience, they should also learn the language. That means that you have to be completely sure that you want to live here before taking the step and bring your kids.

Or will you be another one who ends up living in ex pat guettos, well apart from the host culture... if that is the case, yes there are some ex pat families who live in those places and might need childcare, or grandchildren visiting their retired grandparents. Or families on holidays (summers and some other times of the year). But then you would be coming more than anything for the weather.

Good luck - Buena suerte!

Last edited by evamar; Oct 16th 2011 at 7:25 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

It is one thing to be here on holiday, another to make a living, those like us that dont need to work it is fine, but as others have said, the unemplyment is much higher than UK, here they undercut the locals and the north Africans will work a 14 hour day for 20 euros, yes illegal, but have to be caught.

I am afraid you more than likely will not get a job unless you speak excellent Spanish or, find work with a British company. We have seen all those with children return to UK due to lack of work. as I say holiday is one thing but rose tinted glasses and all that.

Stay in UK until things improve here, on this forum so many have gone back alone. Not trying to be negative but have to see it as it is. sorry
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:14 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

One option may be for your OH to seek employment with a (UK?) firm which does regular runs to spain.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
It is one thing to be here on holiday, another to make a living, those like us that dont need to work it is fine, but as others have said, the unemplyment is much higher than UK, here they undercut the locals and the north Africans will work a 14 hour day for 20 euros, yes illegal, but have to be caught.

I am afraid you more than likely will not get a job unless you speak excellent Spanish or, find work with a British company. We have seen all those with children return to UK due to lack of work. as I say holiday is one thing but rose tinted glasses and all that.

Stay in UK until things improve here, on this forum so many have gone back alone. Not trying to be negative but have to see it as it is. sorry
An English friend with HGV licence worked for a local haulage company up to about 2 yrs ago (spoke good enough Spanish) and was driving all over Europe. Away days on end coming home and in 24 hours was back on the road again. The reason being that the East europeons would work all hours (illegally) so he couldn't refuse to do the same.

Wouldn't be much of a life for you I guess with two children here in a strange country
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

I know that there are many UK haulage companies here, especially within the fruit and veg exporters but I can't give you specific names, though I'm sure with research you will find some. I would say that a HGV 1 is essential though.
Life is an adventure, everything depends on how adventurous you are