Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

RobP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie

Hi all. I'm pleased to have found this site and hope to become aquainted. Useful answers for someone like me, who is planning on buying in Spain but has a lot (most) to learn.

Change in my life is triggering fulfilling a long held desire to buy and hopefully live in Spain. Yes, events of the past year or so have clouded things somewhat but I have a tiny light of optimism and in any case will try to leave an escape route open should it all go horribly wrong.

My questions will be broad, so I'll keep researching for now. However, I'm 70 & healthy. I'm looking at the Murcia region and will probably buy a little away from the coast, even though I'm a passionate yachtsman. Hopefully I can re-start that activity soon after getting settled. I little marina work wouldn't go amiss.

With those facts in mind, any comments would be welcomed.

Many thanks
Rob
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie

Originally Posted by RobP
Hi all. I'm pleased to have found this site and hope to become aquainted. Useful answers for someone like me, who is planning on buying in Spain but has a lot (most) to learn.

Change in my life is triggering fulfilling a long held desire to buy and hopefully live in Spain. Yes, events of the past year or so have clouded things somewhat but I have a tiny light of optimism and in any case will try to leave an escape route open should it all go horribly wrong.

My questions will be broad, so I'll keep researching for now. However, I'm 70 & healthy. I'm looking at the Murcia region and will probably buy a little away from the coast, even though I'm a passionate yachtsman. Hopefully I can re-start that activity soon after getting settled. I little marina work wouldn't go amiss.

With those facts in mind, any comments would be welcomed.

Many thanks
Rob

Hi Rob, welcome to the BE forum. You can ask many and varied questions and indeed get many and varied answers!!

Answers you will receive will be the honest opinions of members, but might not always be what you're expecting.

Follow your heart Bob.

Steve
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steve. I'm in Australia at the moment and my son & daughter in-law are encouraging me to stay until it warms up in Northern Europe. I really should be getting there though and experiencing winter in Murcia, whilst renting and checking it all out.

Ploughing through Pensions, S1's and all the other stuff right now. Question though; Whatever happens re the negotiations, how much of a disadvantage will I be at for not having five years behind me in Spain?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve.

Ploughing through Pensions, S1's and all the other stuff right now. Question though; Whatever happens re the negotiations, how much of a disadvantage will I be at for not having five years behind me in Spain?
I've no idea on that question Bob. My own opinion is that Spain will welcome all newcomers who will putting money into the Spanish economy. The main requirements being that you have enough income and that your healthcare is fully covered.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Rob
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve. I'm in Australia at the moment and my son & daughter in-law are encouraging me to stay until it warms up in Northern Europe. I really should be getting there though and experiencing winter in Murcia, whilst renting and checking it all out.

Post-Brexit is crystal ball gazing - no idea although , in theory, Spain will welcome you as long as you can demonstrate "You will not be a burden to the State" . That normally boils down to two things - Sufficient income, a very loose phrase but roughly means you need to demonstrate you have money in the bank or a regular income roughly equivalent to the minimum salary , a few thousand a year. Second is adequate health care. Notice you mention you are ploughing through S1 etc so assume you should be OK on the latter. Be prepared for extensive bureaucracy when you first arrive, documentation to be done with the police, social security etc.
Winter along the Med coast is quite benign although can seem to be quite chilly as houses often not that well-prepared for the cold. If you are not set on being right on the coast worthwhile looking at places like Cartagena, lovely town with all the advantages of urban facilities and you can get back to your sailing
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:35 am
Banned

franklee2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I`m also planning to move to Spain and would be glad to read info about that
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franklee2
Hi, I`m also planning to move to Spain and would be glad to read info about that
This is a good link to start with :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Then post specific questions
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy property, rent for at least a year. Another thing to think about is your age; inheritance laws are not as straight forward as in the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Don't buy property, rent for at least a year. Another thing to think about is your age; inheritance laws are not as straight forward as in the UK.
Fully agree with all you said. IHT laws are complicated and firstly depend on the Community, family relationship of the inheritor's etc etc. If there is a bigger allowance like Andalucia, it depends on all parties being EU citizens or its the rather punitive 'National'rules that apply.This can literally blitz tens of thousands in tax on the inheritors. Brexit HAS to be factored in here, it will effect thousands of people as regards IHT when the UK are no longer EU members. Unless of course, an agreement gets done.!!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:47 pm
Banned

franklee2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This is a good link to start with :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Then post specific questions
Thanks! Very useful link
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franklee2
In other thread you stated you've been living in Spain for past 3 years and own a house?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas pudding must have been a bit strong this year!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

Well spotted Moses. Look forward to explanation. Franklee I don't give a damn.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Haven't been online here for a couple of weeks but many thanks to those who have made comments. It's very useful to me. IHT is a bit of a concern - but yes I'll be watching brexit carefully. What a horrible word!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.