Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Year resolution...

New Year resolution...

Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:02 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Year resolution...

Catch omicron, so I can then isolate, wait for it to run its course and then get on with my life without all this palaver! There will be no risk to anyone else.

Aiming to get it ASAP in Jan so I can get it out of the way.

Had Covid, vaccine and booster, so omicron isn't going to be much of an issue but the risk of getting it is causing me huge disruption and I cannot plan anything with certainty!

Or am I wrong, to think that way?
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: New Year resolution...

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree View Post
Catch omicron, so I can then isolate, wait for it to run its course and then get on with my life without all this palaver! There will be no risk to anyone else.

Had Covid, vaccine and booster, so omicron isn't going to be much of an issue but the risk of getting it is causing me huge disruption and I cannot plan anything with certainty!

gets my vote. Statistically speaking we will all have had it or be dead by then anyway.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 3:37 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,
Sorry, but you are wrong; you haven't mentioned those with underlying health problems - Whilst I am "hale & hearty" I recognise that I am in a vulnerable group and therefore could potentially die from Covid.

The only reason for having the jab was to have a better chance of continuing to "Live the dream retirement" - I live in a paradise called Spain and have had almost 20 years of excellent retirement.

I fully understand your reasoning, and yes we have to continue life, but we should all respect the fact that this virus can kill

Davexf
Old Dec 24th 2021, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf View Post
Hola,
Sorry, but you are wrong; you haven't mentioned those with underlying health problems - Whilst I am "hale & hearty" I recognise that I am in a vulnerable group and therefore could potentially die from Covid.

The only reason for having the jab was to have a better chance of continuing to "Live the dream retirement" - I live in a paradise called Spain and have had almost 20 years of excellent retirement.

I fully understand your reasoning, and yes we have to continue life, but we should all respect the fact that this virus can kill

Davexf
Excellent reply, I fully agree Dave......

Steve
Old Dec 24th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you all on this one. But it's absurd to restrict the entire population. Those not in vulnerable groups who have been vaccinated and are taking precautions should be allowed to continue as normal. I have friends who are happy with it all and want to see all travel restriction continue but have never been tested. I've taken 12 PCR tests this year and countless antigen tests to satisfy the absurd travel requirements. We need to stop asking the healthy to restrict their lives for the vulnerable.

It's just common sense. In my twenties I would jump from the top board without a care in the world. Now I just about manage the middle board because I know my body can't take it anymore. When I'm retired I might just slide in to the pool, but I'm not going to ask the youngsters to stop diving.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico View Post
It's just common sense. In my twenties I would jump from the top board without a care in the world. Now I just about manage the middle board because I know my body can't take it anymore. When I'm retired I might just slide in to the pool, but I'm not going to ask the youngsters to stop diving.
No, but you may ask them to take the precaution of not landing on you
Old Dec 24th 2021, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that Omicron is so infectious that we will all be exposed to it in the next few weeks. Fortunately the symptoms are not too serious in most cases as it appears that the virus reproduces in the bronchial passages and not the lungs so doesn't cause pneumonia.

If the Spanish government really wanted to stop the spread then they should have closed the hostelry sector immediately and closed off city centres like Madrid where people gather to look at the lights. Instead Sanchez decided on a cosmetic measure in obliging masks even in empty streets, presumably so he could be seen to be doing something.

The result will be pretty bad in the first two weeks of Jan as many people will be off work with sore throats and feeling under the weather. For their own safety, I think vulnerable people should just stay home for the next two weeks and wear serious masks when shopping. Hopefully by February we will be out of the woods.

We are not immortal and it's the young people I feel sorry for.

If you want a sober, rational daily analysis of the science then I highly recommend Dr John Cambell. Yesterday he talked about what is happening in Gibraltar.

There are many grounds for optimism, which is the best Xmas present we could have.

Last edited by Mustard; Dec 24th 2021 at 9:16 am.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 9:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
....If you want a sober, rational daily analysis of the science then I highly recommend Dr John Cambell....
As pointed out recently else where on the forum, for clarity, Dr John Campbell is a doctor as he has a Phd in nursing education.

He also has a masters in health science, and initial degree in biology.

Not everything he says on his youtube channel is accurate, so should not be used as sole source.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
No, but you may ask them to take the precaution of not landing on you
Actually I wouldn't swim in the diving section, nor would I dive in the swimming section of the pool. The point I'm making is that it's unreasonable to restrict healthy, vaccinated citizens from going about their business. The vulnerable know the risks of travelling or being in crowded areas and should therefore keep themselves out of harms way.
As for the testing regime, pre departure LFT testing just about makes sense and maybe even a LFT on arrival at a stretch, but forcing everyone to take a PCR test suggests to me that someone's mate ordered way too many tests and needs to shift them at the highest price possible. The PCR is OTT unless you've already tested positive. It really makes no difference is someone is walking around with Covid asymptomatically, with the current rates of infection eventually it will reach a vulnerable person anyway.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
As pointed out recently else where on the forum, for clarity, Dr John Campbell is a doctor as he has a Phd in nursing education.

He also has a masters in health science, and initial degree in biology.

Not everything he says on his youtube channel is accurate, so should not be used as sole source.
Agreed, but he does seem to base his ideas on real-world data as opposed to the ( controversial ) mathematical modelling which is the basis of UK government policy.

I'm just trying to be a bit positive as it is Xmas!
Old Dec 24th 2021, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I wouldn't swim in the diving section, nor would I dive in the swimming section of the pool. The point I'm making is that it's unreasonable to restrict healthy, vaccinated citizens from going about their business. The vulnerable know the risks of travelling or being in crowded areas and should therefore keep themselves out of harms way.
As for the testing regime, pre departure LFT testing just about makes sense and maybe even a LFT on arrival at a stretch, but forcing everyone to take a PCR test suggests to me that someone's mate ordered way too many tests and needs to shift them at the highest price possible. The PCR is OTT unless you've already tested positive. It really makes no difference is someone is walking around with Covid asymptomatically, with the current rates of infection eventually it will reach a vulnerable person anyway.
You are very lucky my previous pool did not have room for seperate diving and swimming areas.

I on the other hand have free PCR tests readily available

I have been told that LFT tests do not exist in Gib but have not had the oportunity to confirm this.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Within the confines of your own pool you're free to do as you please but in a public pool you need to apply some courtesy to other users. You wouldn't expect an Olympic swimmer to share the same lane as the W.I. aqua aerobics club.

Free PCR for travel purposes? Sounds good to me.

LFT are mandatory when arriving in GIB, even for residents.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Within the confines of your own pool you're free to do as you please but in a public pool you need to apply some courtesy to other users. You wouldn't expect an Olympic swimmer to share the same lane as the W.I. aqua aerobics club.

Free PCR for travel purposes? Sounds good to me.

LFT are mandatory when arriving in GIB, even for residents.
My previous pool I refer to was public, but many years ago

When I arrived back in Gib on the 8th it was a PCR test

Just checking online it would appear this was changed on the 17th

Last edited by Fredbargate; Dec 24th 2021 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

IminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree View Post

how is this relevant to Spain Rosmary?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 4:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IminSpain View Post
how is this relevant to Spain Rosmary?
Possibly because Spain is now registering huge numbers of cases - or did you miss that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.