Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New User Questions

New User Questions

Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

thetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nice
Default New User Questions

Hi:

I am new user here.

I am moving from Canada to Spain in the next several months. I have yet to make a final decision on location but am leaning towards to either Granada or Cordoba.

Here are some of my criteria in deciding where to move to:

looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom townhouse
no requirement for a vehicle - i.e. walk to all amenities
local schooling for 15 year old boy
not looking to purchase a property - want to rent for the 1st year or more
like the warm weather and sun
must have good transport links to Madrid
want an area with lots of history

From my research both Cordoba and Granada meet these requirements (and I am sure lots of other places).

Is anyone here living in these areas that would be willing to comment on each area.

Many thanks,

Iain

Oh yes, before anyone brings it up - I am an EU citizen so visas etc not required
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New User Questions

Originally Posted by thetraveller
Hi:

I am new user here.

I am moving from Canada to Spain in the next several months. I have yet to make a final decision on location but am leaning towards to either Granada or Cordoba.

From my research both Cordoba and Granada meet these requirements (and I am sure lots of other places).

Is anyone here living in these areas that would be willing to comment on each area.

Many thanks,

Iain

Oh yes, before anyone brings it up - I am an EU citizen so visas etc not required
You will find very few expats in Cordoba or Granada (if you are talking about the cities rather than the provinces).

Both cities are beautiful, particularly Granada and full of history and great architecture. I wouldnt want to live in Cordoba in the summer as it is too hot (40c plus). Granada is a long way from Madrid by car, Cordoba is much closer.

Does your 15 year old speak Spanish? If not, then sending him to a Spanish school would be a disaster. In Spain they hold them back a year if they dont pass the end of year exams so your son would have a huge effort just to finish schooling, nevermind pass the exams. No qualifications offers very few prospects in Spain.

Just try the Spanish property sites; idealista, fotocasa, kyero, segundamano etc. You can browse all the available properties in the area very easily
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:30 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I am new user here.

Many thanks,

Iain

Valencia may be a good option, if you need warm sunny weather (Granada is a bit cooler in the winter as it's close to the Sierra Nevada mountains). Also the city has invested in public transport (trams, metro). The new AVE high speed link to Madrid opens up this year too, so you'll only be a couple of hours ride from the capital.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

thetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricketman
You will find very few expats in Cordoba or Granada (if you are talking about the cities rather than the provinces).
Yes, the cities.

Both cities are beautiful, particularly Granada and full of history and great architecture. I wouldnt want to live in Cordoba in the summer as it is too hot (40c plus). Granada is a long way from Madrid by car, Cordoba is much closer.
Personally I like it hot and having been in Seville in July and August I think I can just about anything

Does your 15 year old speak Spanish? If not, then sending him to a Spanish school would be a disaster. In Spain they hold them back a year if they dont pass the end of year exams so your son would have a huge effort just to finish schooling, nevermind pass the exams. No qualifications offers very few prospects in Spain.
Yes, he is fluent. Right now we aren't planning on staying in Spain for more than 2 years then move somewhere else.

Just try the Spanish property sites; idealista, fotocasa, kyero, segundamano etc. You can browse all the available properties in the area very easily
Thanks, I will check out those sites and see what I can find.I realize that the only real way to get an idea on what is available is to be there in person but I find that checking the web can give a hint towards what type of accommodation is available.

Iain
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Valencia may be a good option, if you need warm sunny weather (Granada is a bit cooler in the winter as it's close to the Sierra Nevada mountains). Also the city has invested in public transport (trams, metro). The new AVE high speed link to Madrid opens up this year too, so you'll only be a couple of hours ride from the capital.
Thanks, I haven't even considered Valencia. I will have to start doing my research.

Does anyone here live in Valencia?

Iain
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, I haven't even considered Valencia. I will have to start doing my research.

Does anyone here live in Valencia?
I do and would seem to meet your criteria but a visit first is a must.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I do and would seem to meet your criteria but a visit first is a must.
Agreed. I have never been to Valencia before but I have been to both Granada and Cordoba (among other places).

Can I ask how long you have been living there and what your impressions are of the city.

Thanks,

Iain
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Córdoba for a couple of years and loved it. It's small for a city but that means you can walk most places.

I loved the hot summers but really hated the cold winters.

It's about 2 hrs from madrid and about 40 mins from Málaga by train.

You would have the option of a "british" school there if that was what you wanted and might be useful if you're thinking of moving again before he finishes schooling.

I love Granada, but know it as a visitor, not to live in. My main reservation there would be the cold - it doesn't have fast train connections (yet) but it's not that far to drive to Málaga for the airport when you need to travel.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I lived in Córdoba for a couple of years and loved it. It's small for a city but that means you can walk most places.

I loved the hot summers but really hated the cold winters.

It's about 2 hrs from madrid and about 40 mins from Málaga by train.

You would have the option of a "british" school there if that was what you wanted and might be useful if you're thinking of moving again before he finishes schooling.

I love Granada, but know it as a visitor, not to live in. My main reservation there would be the cold - it doesn't have fast train connections (yet) but it's not that far to drive to Málaga for the airport when you need to travel.
There used to be some international flights from Granada; have they stopped?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ryanair did Stansted to Granada but have recently announced they are stopping that route.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val001
Ryanair did Stansted to Granada but have recently announced they are stopping that route.
Thanks. Oh well one fewer option!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Val001
We regularly use the Stansted to Granada route and, as far as I am aware, there are no plans to stop this service. It was discussed a couple of years ago and the plan was scrapped when the authorities in Granada paid a subsidy to encourage Ryanair to continue to use the destination.

Ryanair are also resuming their Granada service from Liverpool from March 2010.

Monarch currently fly into Granada from Gatwick but that service is about to be axed, I believe, amid lots of protests, and a petition, for it to continue.

Traveller: have you considered Seville as a permanent base? There are good links from there to Madrid and also several international schools. Personally, I would worry about Valencia because of the 'land-grab' situation there. Lovely area but, if you consider buying there you need to be absolutely sure (as sure as you can be in Spain) that your property is secure.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jeanie27
I would worry about Valencia because of the 'land-grab' situation there. Lovely area but, if you consider buying there you need to be absolutely sure (as sure as you can be in Spain) that your property is secure.
The land grab myth/stories belong in the past and should not deter anyone from moving to Valencia. In any case the OP wants to rent.

I have friends who commute by plane to Madrid daily its very cheap when booked in advance and takes about half an hour, sometimes less.

One major advantage not shared by other destinations is that Valencia is on the Med and has miles of white sand beaches.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
There used to be some international flights from Granada; have they stopped?
I think Ryanair still do Granada to Liverpool, Monarch etc all stopped flights there a while back. Mick O is paid to land there, hence some flights, but as another poster has said the Stansted flight is or has stopped.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, not trying to pick a fight but the Stansted to Granada route is still operating and, certainly for the forseeable future, they are still taking reservations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.