British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   New UK EHIC cards for residents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/new-uk-ehic-cards-residents-652603/)

petew Jun 7th 2010 7:31 am

Re: New UK EHIC cards for residents

Originally Posted by Silvery (Post 8615565)

If said person has any problems with getting this, they should register an S1, available by phone from International Pension Centre 0044 1912187777 and once the registration is completed in the UK, an application for an EHIC will be posted out.

Sorry if I appear thick but who will the application be submitted to? (Spain or U.K.).

The problem often in Spain is that the practice doesn't match the theory. The INSS may be responsible for issuing an EHIC (called TSE in Spain) but it doesn't necessarily mean that the local office will.

lynnxa Jun 7th 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8616254)
Sorry if I appear thick but who will the application be submitted to? (Spain or U.K.).

The problem often in Spain is that the practice doesn't match the theory. The INSS may be responsible for issuing an EHIC (called TSE in Spain) but it doesn't necessarily mean that the local office will.

why not phone the number you were just given & ask them - or even ask for an application form?

petew Jun 7th 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8616268)
why not phone the number you were just given & ask them - or even ask for an application form?

I have spoken to them and an application form is on its way.

They say that they think that our EHIC equivalent should be issued by the U.K. and they have sent the form but they told me to phone the EHIC enquiry line for a definitive answer. The EHIC enquiry line told me the exact opposite i.e that the new cards should be issued by Spain but that I should phone the DWP helpline for a definitive answer! Good eh?

lynnxa Jun 7th 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8616310)
I have spoken to them and an application form is on its way.

They say that they think that our EHIC equivalent should be issued by the U.K. and they have sent the form but they told me to phone the EHIC enquiry line for a definitive answer. The EHIC enquiry line told me the exact opposite i.e that the new cards should be issued by Spain but that I should phone the DWP helpline for a definitive answer! Good eh?

did you phone the DWP helpline?

I'm sure you're not the only person in this position - your response from them is bound to be helpful to someone else:)

petew Jun 7th 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8616469)
did you phone the DWP helpline?

I'm sure you're not the only person in this position - your response from them is bound to be helpful to someone else:)

That was who I spoke to first.

I have now spoken to my Gestor. She says that the INSS have not refused to renew our TSE (EHIC) cards but have issued cards (or rather a piece of paper) valid for 3 months only, which she gave me. According to her that is now normal and they no longer issue cards valid for a year to anyone Spanish citizens included. I find that hard to believe but she usually knows what she is talking about. She says that U.K. pensioners who are employed in Spain (or who have a Spanish pension) can get a card from the U.K. and/or Spain. However the U.K card is a better bet because it is valid for much longer.

I am going to investigate further but in the meantime I think we have to concentrate on obtaining EHIC cards from the U.K. At least we have our new spanish bits of paper valid to 1/9/2010.

LittleWeed Jun 7th 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8616591)
I have now spoken to my Gestor. She says that the INSS have not refused to renew our TSE (EHIC) cards but have issued cards (or rather a piece of paper) valid for 3 months only, which she gave me. According to her that is now normal and they no longer issue cards valid for a year to anyone Spanish citizens included. I find that hard to believe but she usually knows what she is talking about. She says that U.K. pensioners who are employed in Spain (or who have a Spanish pension) can get a card from the U.K. and/or Spain. However the U.K card is a better bet because it is valid for much longer.

Hi, that sort of makes sense since the entitlement to an EHIC card issued in Spain depends on affiliation to the Social Security. The entitlement expires after 3 months for someone in "baja" from the system. I think the 3 month rule is stop people continuing to use an EHIC card after their Social Security cover has expired. As you says, sounds like a UK issued card is a better bet.:thumbup:

petew Jun 7th 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by LittleWeed (Post 8616657)
Hi, that sort of makes sense since the entitlement to an EHIC card issued in Spain depends on affiliation to the Social Security. The entitlement expires after 3 months for someone in "baja" from the system. I think the 3 month rule is stop people continuing to use an EHIC card after their Social Security cover has expired. As you says, sounds like a UK issued card is a better bet.:thumbup:

That makes sense. It has only changed very recently. It will be inconvenient for spanish people who do a lot of travelling - I guess they will probably have to take out travel insurance.

Fred James Jun 7th 2010 3:09 pm

A UK issued EHIC is valid for 5 years.

Silvery Jun 7th 2010 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8616254)

The UK will only issue an EHIC application if you have registered an S1 [former E121] at your INSS in Spain. Because Spain is currently providing the healthcare for this person due to entitlement there, then Spain should issue the EHIC. But I was saying that if that was a problem at the local office, then since this person is also entitled to an S1 [which means that the UK will provide the Spanish healthcare] then once the S1 is registered and the UK is notified it has been registered, an EHIC application will be sent out.

But really, that should be unnecessary and Spain is responsible.

Fred James Jun 8th 2010 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Silvery (Post 8618220)
But really, that should be unnecessary and Spain is responsible.

Yes, they should be, but the EU, in their wisdom, think otherwise.;)

petew Jun 8th 2010 9:55 am

The DWP said yesterday that they have sent us an EHIC application. We haven't actually had any paperwork at all back from the DWP yet (the pension application went to the INSS in Benidorm) but they have started paying the pension.

Mitzyboy Jun 8th 2010 10:05 am

Both my wife and I received application forms for EHIC cards today.

They were sent from:
DWP
Overseas Healthcare
Newcastle
Tel: 0191 21 81999
Email: [email protected]

And dated 20 June

Cards can only be issued by post at the moment, they started to be issued in April and can be used from 1 May

They will be issued from and by the UK, not Spain ... definately