New start!!

Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

KeithW50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New start!!

Hi all, after a major change in my personal circumstances-I've made the decision (after due consideration), that i am going to pack up in the UK, and begin a completely fresh start, by myself in Valencia.

I'm not afraid to admit, that i'm finding this all very very scary, but the decision is made-and will be stuck to-no matter what.

Thing is guys-i do not have the first idea where to start!!-can anyone help me out with some good advice

many thanks
Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of
Default Re: New start!!

Go with the flow!!

Don't bother with research as most of it's rubbish and erring on the very negative. Planning is a waste of time as events will dictate what happens next.

Book a cheap holiday. Once there find a short term rental. Once settled, decide what you want.

That's what I did. 14 year later, I'm still here.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of

to work or retire? valencia city or region?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithW50
Hi all, after a major change in my personal circumstances-I've made the decision (after due consideration), that i am going to pack up in the UK, and begin a completely fresh start, by myself in Valencia.

I'm not afraid to admit, that i'm finding this all very very scary, but the decision is made-and will be stuck to-no matter what.

Thing is guys-i do not have the first idea where to start!!-can anyone help me out with some good advice

many thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Do you know what, thats reassuring to here.

I've read so many websites about planning etc etc etc-my heads swimming. Just reached a point in my life (turned 50 last Nov!!), and just want to set off and GO!!!-without too much prethought etc

Things turned out good for u?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wasss
to work or retire? valencia city or region?
Hi thanks for your reply-thinking work/live etc-too young and poor to retire(50)
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your reply-thinking work/live etc-too young and poor to retire(50)
Not wishing to "p*ss on your parade" as the saying goes but work may be your first issue.

With over 23% unemployment in Spain, and more in this area, it might be hard for you to find work.

Are you fluent in Spanish? What sort of work would you look for?

I hope it does work out for you but I think a little planning is necessary.

A holiday first is a good idea to get to know the sort of area you want and also to see first-hand how easy it might be to work here.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Not wishing to "p*ss on your parade" as the saying goes but work may be your first issue.

With over 23% unemployment in Spain, and more in this area, it might be hard for you to find work.

Are you fluent in Spanish? What sort of work would you look for?

I hope it does work out for you but I think a little planning is necessary.

A holiday first is a good idea to get to know the sort of area you want and also to see first-hand how easy it might be to work here.
Thanks snikpoh, for your comments

Have only very basic Spanish, and most of my experience is in transport management.

Have spent numerous holidays in the region

Am I naive in thinking that a willingness to work hard, a willingness to learn and adapt-and a determination to succeed, be happy and contribute, is enough to get me by? if yes, then please let me know-it is after all, a big step

I'm thinking yes-but i'm not in same position as you guys!
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks snikpoh, for your comments

Have only very basic Spanish, and most of my experience is in transport management.

Have spent numerous holidays in the region

Am I naive in thinking that a willingness to work hard, a willingness to learn and adapt-and a determination to succeed, be happy and contribute, is enough to get me by? if yes, then please let me know-it is after all, a big step

I'm thinking yes-but i'm not in same position as you guys!
It is a huge step into the unknown. Who knows whether you might just land on your feet and find an employer who would employ you for your determination etc.

Being realistic though few employers in this area speak English so you would have to get your Spanish up to speed. Spanish people work hard too and many of them are unemployed at the present time and they have the advantage of speaking the language and also knowing the various systems in Spain.

If you can afford to finance yourself for a while and come over for a scout around and check everything out you may well find a niche for yourself but to be fair it is important that you are told that it will not be easy.

Good luck

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I know that you wish to start afresh in Spain, but please do some planning. At
least spend some time reading forums.
Unless you can financial support yourself please don't just arrive for more than a holiday as there are no financial safety nets as there are in England. You will need private medical care for at least the first year, unless you are lucky enough to secure contracted employment, which with the state of the employment market, is unlikely.

To become a resident you will have to show a level of savings and income, differs by region, as Spain doesn't want you to be a financial drain on it's country. A bit negative I know, but there are basically two types of expat, those that need to work for a living, and the retired expat who are spending their pension pots and qualifying for free (covered by the UK Government) healthcare. The latter are on permanent holiday whilst the former quite often suffer real problems.

Now some expats who have their own businesses appear to do well, but over the fifteen years I have been here on the Costa Blanca, most of my younger neighbours have had to return home selling their houses to retirees.

It sounds exciting just turning up, but if you run out of money, you are on your own!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
It is a huge step into the unknown. Who knows whether you might just land on your feet and find an employer who would employ you for your determination etc.

Being realistic though few employers in this area speak English so you would have to get your Spanish up to speed. Spanish people work hard too and many of them are unemployed at the present time and they have the advantage of speaking the language and also knowing the various systems in Spain.

If you can afford to finance yourself for a while and come over for a scout around and check everything out you may well find a niche for yourself but to be fair it is important that you are told that it will not be easy.

Good luck

Rosemary
Many thanks Rosemary