Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New to this site and planning the big move-Would welcome any advice on preparation.

New to this site and planning the big move-Would welcome any advice on preparation.

Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:54 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this site and planning the big move-Would welcome any advice on preparatio

Originally Posted by helenp
Just out of interest if you were considering teaching children part time as your own business, what other qualification would you need apart from TEFL

Helen
If you teach as your own business you donĀ“t need any qualifications! But if you want to be professional then of course you should have something.

The TEFL qualification that Anne has is a CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults). However, language academies will accept this qualification for teaching classes of children too.

To teach in a Spanish primary school you should have a proper Spanish teaching qualification taken in Spain, or one from the UK that you get endorsed when you arrive in Spain - donĀ“t know what itĀ“s called though.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

TEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to this site and planning the big move-Would welcome any advice on preparatio

Just out of interest if you were considering teaching children part time as your own business, what other qualification would you need apart from TEFL

Helen
TEFL would seem to be the only requirement if you were planning to do it on your own as a business (well, that is the case in France ) I think if you wanted to teach in a formal school set up, they may require a teaching qualification, but don't see why you couldn't work at a school as a 'peripatetic' teacher i.e. get paid the hours you work ,or invoice them if you have your own set up.I don't know about Spain though, but would assume it is the same as france-maybe keith can enlighten you more!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TEFL LADY
TEFL would seem to be the only requirement if you were planning to do it on your own as a business (well, that is the case in France ) I think if you wanted to teach in a formal school set up, they may require a teaching qualification, but don't see why you couldn't work at a school as a 'peripatetic' teacher i.e. get paid the hours you work ,or invoice them if you have your own set up.I don't know about Spain though, but would assume it is the same as france-maybe keith can enlighten you more!
What advice do you have on courses in UK most seem to be in London, do they offer distance courses as have a young family to look after.
I notice there are a lot of intensive ones on the internet for 2 days in a hotel, I would be a bit wary if these were genuine.

Helen
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by keithwalters
If you teach as your own business you donĀ“t need any qualifications! But if you want to be professional then of course you should have something.

The TEFL qualification that Anne has is a CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults). However, language academies will accept this qualification for teaching classes of children too.

To teach in a Spanish primary school you should have a proper Spanish teaching qualification taken in Spain, or one from the UK that you get endorsed when you arrive in Spain - donĀ“t know what itĀ“s called though.
So the TEFL would be ok, don't really want to teach in a school just thinking about as a part time thing on my own. Where we are thinking of moving to Jaen province it is very Spanish so there might be a need for it there.

Helen
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

TEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant futureTEFL LADY has a brilliant future

So the TEFL would be ok, don't really want to teach in a school just thinking about as a part time thing on my own. Where we are thinking of moving to Jaen province it is very Spanish so there might be a need for it there.

Helen
As above, I have a CELTA and would definitely recommend doing the 4 week intensive course-it is intensive but you get good practise and get excellent support along the way- with a distance course you'll probably feel a bit isolated.I came over from france to do my CELTA (in London) and they helped find cheap accommodation.-It probably costs around Ā£1000 now, but is worth the investment.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TEFL LADY
As above, I have a CELTA and would definitely recommend doing the 4 week intensive course-it is intensive but you get good practise and get excellent support along the way- with a distance course you'll probably feel a bit isolated.I came over from france to do my CELTA (in London) and they helped find cheap accommodation.-It probably costs around Ā£1000 now, but is worth the investment.
OK thanks for that advice and good luck when you move.

Helen
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
What training would be required to teach english in Spain to a certain level for nursing staff? My friend (TEFL trained) does this here in the UK.
Has there been any demand for this in any Spanish hospital?
Thanks,
Carol
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:32 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,
What training would be required to teach english in Spain to a certain level for nursing staff? My friend (TEFL trained) does this here in the UK.
Has there been any demand for this in any Spanish hospital?
Thanks,
Carol
Anne has done quite a lot of classes to doctors in hospitals. They all demanded exactly the same type of English that you would teach to anyone else. So the CELTA is perfectly valid (not that they will know what that is!). The thing with medicine is that all the really difficult technical vocabulary is exactly the same in English as it is in Spanish! ItĀ“s all the bits in the middle that they wanted to brush up on.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Anne has done quite a lot of classes to doctors in hospitals. They all demanded exactly the same type of English that you would teach to anyone else. So the CELTA is perfectly valid (not that they will know what that is!). The thing with medicine is that all the really difficult technical vocabulary is exactly the same in English as it is in Spanish! ItĀ“s all the bits in the middle that they wanted to brush up on.
That's exactly how it was in France- the doctors, naval offficers etc.. I taught knew their technical language but didn't know how to keep a conversation going!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:41 pm
has got a huge member

What advice do you have on courses in UK most seem to be in London, do they offer distance courses as have a young family to look after.
I notice there are a lot of intensive ones on the internet for 2 days in a hotel, I would be a bit wary if these were genuine.

Helen
Forget the 2 day intensive courses! Anne did an intensive CELTA course and it lasted 4 weeks - study every morning 5 days a week, teaching practice every afternoon, 5 hours homework each evening and about 15 hours homework at the weekend. These 2 day courses are a joke!

Are you anywhere near Leigh & Wigan college? They do a course. Next one starts Feb so get your skates on!

http://www.wigan-leigh.ac.uk/0304/se..._course_06.asp