Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is this a new scam?

Is this a new scam?

Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a new scam?

As discussed in a previous thread, I'm not sure you can call them 'scammers' in the true sense.

They may be from a legitimate company who are just touting for business. In urban areas (and maybe rural too), I understand that it is a requirement to have gas installations checked at regular intervals.

Where it all begins to go wrong, I think, is that once they are in your house, you are obliged to pay them for any work done or inspection made.

Why not keep them on the doorstep and ask for a list or prices (new regulator, change of hose per meter etc., inspection of boiler and/or flue).

Or simply tell them to 'do one'!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As discussed in a previous thread, I'm not sure you can call them 'scammers' in the true sense.

They may be from a legitimate company who are just touting for business. In urban areas (and maybe rural too), I understand that it is a requirement to have gas installations checked at regular intervals.

Where it all begins to go wrong, I think, is that once they are in your house, you are obliged to pay them for any work done or inspection made.

Why not keep them on the doorstep and ask for a list or prices (new regulator, change of hose per meter etc., inspection of boiler and/or flue).

Or simply tell them to 'do one'!
I have recently been along to the local Repsol office and asked for a gas inspection. I was given a date, time and the name of the engineer who was to visit. On the day the chap arrived and changed the orange hose, disconnected the sliding air vent on the wall (so it could not be closed again) done his various checks on the appliance and gave me a 5 year cert. in exchange for approx 60 euros.
I think it is better to get the official supplier to take care of this. At least there is a registered office to go and complain at in the event of a problem!

Regards

jonboy
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

this isn't new , they have been doing this sort of thing on our urbanisation for years. I normally follow them about reminding my neighbours that there is nothing obligatory about this and the certification they give is pretty worthless as no one is ever going to ask to see it. However if people wish to pay some cold calling idiot 40 euros to look at their gas appliances they are quite entitled to charge for it so it is more of a hard sale than a scam.

The best rule to follow is never buy anything, make donations to iffy charities or embark on spiritual path to jehovah on your doorstep. Get a dog and when asked does it bite always grin like a madman and answer "yes"
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Soapdish is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would let you know that my local gas supplier is Repsol, I have been with them since 1983 and my parents were supplied from them since 1968. Where I live, Repsol always leave a sign or note about a month in advance to say that they will be coming around to make inspections. (every 5 years). It is not obligatory BUT if you do have a contract with Repsol and you don´t have an inspection, then they can refuse to supply you. Also, another imporatant fact, if there is an accident, for example, a fire or explosion and it had anything to do with you or your gas supply, then your insurance company can refuse to pay out because your gas inspection was not up to date. In actual fact, you can buy the orange pipe and the "alcachofa" (there are new ones which have replaced the old model because the alcachofa also has a renewal date on it) from the ferreteria. I usually do mine before the inspection comes around and it doesn´t cost that much.
Hope this info helped you out!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Soapdish
Just thought I would let you know that my local gas supplier is Repsol, I have been with them since 1983 and my parents were supplied from them since 1968. Where I live, Repsol always leave a sign or note about a month in advance to say that they will be coming around to make inspections. (every 5 years). It is not obligatory BUT if you do have a contract with Repsol and you don´t have an inspection, then they can refuse to supply you. Also, another imporatant fact, if there is an accident, for example, a fire or explosion and it had anything to do with you or your gas supply, then your insurance company can refuse to pay out because your gas inspection was not up to date. In actual fact, you can buy the orange pipe and the "alcachofa" (there are new ones which have replaced the old model because the alcachofa also has a renewal date on it) from the ferreteria. I usually do mine before the inspection comes around and it doesn´t cost that much.
Hope this info helped you out!

sorry, but I'm a bit confused here.... alcachofa translates to artichoke.. is this a "slang" name for the regulator on the top of a gas bottle?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

SUPERPOT is an unknown quantity at this point

No it is not a new scam. They are curently doing the rounds in Benitachell as they called on us again yesterday!
Tell them to F*%k Off and warn all the neighbors and friends about it as well.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERPOT
No it is not a new scam. They are curently doing the rounds in Benitachell as they called on us again yesterday!
Tell them to F*%k Off and warn all the neighbors and friends about it as well.
Hi All. Absolutely DO NOT LE THESE PEOPLE IN YOUR HOUSE! I discribed this scam some time ago here. I'm an intelligent woman (I believe;-)) with a suspicious nature, But I got caught out because I was waiting for my landlord to send someone. The story has already been told but briefly they get in, distract you a bit and take everything apart (at this point I got suspicious and went to get my local policeman who called in the Guardia). To cut a long story short I did end up paying them (wish I hadn't) and then went and did a 'denuncia'. They had a list of denuncias as long as your arm. unfortunately wasn't in at the country at the appointed court date.
My advice. Look at the rubber hose. If it's close to the expiry date, or if you think you have a gas leak go to your gas supplier and ask for an inspection. It should, as an earlier poster said, cost around 50-60 euros. They should never disconnect anything without giving you a quotation in advance.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Never let a cold caller in your house. Just say no thank you and politely shut the door on them.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a thought....does this apply to those with town gas or just bottled?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Soapdish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunmovin
sorry, but I'm a bit confused here.... alcachofa translates to artichoke.. is this a "slang" name for the regulator on the top of a gas bottle?
Sorry, yes, the thing that you have to put on top of the gas bottle which has a little trigger which turns on and off the gas flow is usually called by the Spanish an "alcachofa" which translate as you rightly put it as an artichoke!
If you go to the ferreteria just say that you need the alcachofa for the gas bottle and they will know exactly what you need. you can also get them at your local repsol office and the orange pipe too.