Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New rules for NHS

New rules for NHS

Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New rules for NHS

Been on the News and on the BBC web site. Really to do with non EU Residents. However reading and listening to it the ex MP in the link says paid for by UK tax payers for UK citizens? Mmm no it isn't because UK citizens still paying UK tax but living in EU outside of UK are not allowed to use it until reaching state retirement age. On the news one of the proof of right to use NHS is a National Insurance number again most expats will have that. It just goes to show how much misinformation gets put about and how little the Politicians actually know about their rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32281155
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New rules for NHS

That is just vote catching BS to stir up the people. Expect more lies, half truths and promises before the election.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
That is just vote catching BS to stir up the people. Expect more lies, half truths and promises before the election.
Yes Missile they are all promising this that and the other without a clue how to actually achieve it. But when you think about it if you are a government pension holder under state retirement age you must pay for the NHS through your tax as you can only pay tax on it in UK if living in EU. If you go back you are then not allowed to use the NHS as you will have no EHIC as you can't get one issued until state retirement age. So you have to continue to pay tax for? I used to be of the belief it was NI contribution for health but it isn't . Yes I understand it is based on residency but surely that is on the assumption if resident and taxable age you pay tax. Those of us on government pensions to me are being taken for a ride. But as always no one said life was fair!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

AFIK, those who are under retirement age and resident in Spain pay tax on their pension in Spain not UK. They are entitled to the same reciprocal arrangements in any EU country as any Spanish national?

Do you have a civil service pension? Are there special rules for those in receipt of a government pension?

For sure those health care tourists cost the NHS, but not nearly as much as those bottom feeding non resident scum bags https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/ho...-non-doms.html. I bet this issue will not be an election issue flagged by those Westminster expense thieves.

Last edited by missile; Apr 14th 2015 at 11:46 am.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those in receipt of government pensions can only pay income tax on them in the UK no matter where resident, tax on other pensions including state pension as you say is taxed in Spain or should be. They say in the article ex MP and news article say NHS is for British Tax Payers as NHS is funded from tax and is where the largest part of income tax goes. It is just a gripe of mine that's all as I said earlier no one said life was fair.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New rules for NHS

Originally Posted by bobd22
Those in receipt of government pensions can only pay income tax on them in the UK no matter where resident, tax on other pensions including state pension as you say is taxed in Spain or should be. They say in the article ex MP and news article say NHS is for British Tax Payers as NHS is funded from tax and is where the largest part of income tax goes. It is just a gripe of mine that's all as I said earlier no one said life was fair.
These are the changes posted on the UK gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ns-to-nhs-care
Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe the ex MP should have read this before making his comments. One plus point I am getting nearer to state pension age then I can get my free health cover and get something out of my tax payments. I will feel much better for that. Good link by the way.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

chocLog is an unknown quantity at this point

As a British Cit, currently residing in Philippines (Asia last 7 years), if I moved to any EU country I take it I would get free healthcare or is their a form I would have to complete? I am a type 2 diabetic and take 11 different medications daily including Victoza (injection). Would this all be free in say Spain?

TIA
Old Apr 17th 2015, 1:38 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by chocLog
As a British Cit, currently residing in Philippines (Asia last 7 years), if I moved to any EU country I take it I would get free healthcare or is their a form I would have to complete? I am a type 2 diabetic and take 11 different medications daily including Victoza (injection). Would this all be free in say Spain?

TIA
Not unless you are a pensioner?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 1:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

if you are a government pension holder under state retirement age you must pay for the NHS through your tax as you can only pay tax on it in UK if living in EU. ..
Those of us on government pensions to me are being taken for a ride.
In case you are unable to come up with a logical explanation for the taxation of government pensions in the state of origin, here is one.

Your pension contributions were made free of tax (ie deductions were made before tax was calculated on the remainder of your earnings). Your employer (the state) also made contributions to your pension scheme.

So, having lost out on the earnings tax and contributed to your pension, the state feels that no matter where you reside, you should be liable to UK tax on that pension (but obviously not have access to the NHS, which is residence-based) - but only, of course if it breaches the threshold of the personal income allowance.

If the UK government did not have arrangements with other countries on this matter, you would pay tax on that income in your country of residence - possibly at a higher rate than in the UK - and that in itself wouldn't necessarily "buy" you health service cover.

Last edited by Red Eric; Apr 17th 2015 at 1:48 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, I now feel much happier about my tax situation should I move to Spain full time before state pension age.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New rules for NHS

Originally Posted by Red Eric
In case you are unable to come up with a logical explanation for the taxation of government pensions in the state of origin, here is one.

If the UK government did not have arrangements with other countries on this matter, you would pay tax on that income in your country of residence - possibly at a higher rate than in the UK - and that in itself wouldn't necessarily "buy" you health service cover.
Under the new DTA starting this tax year in Spain that is exactly what is going to happen. The Government Pension which is taxed in UK BEFORE RECEIPT has now to be declared in Spain and will result in a tax charge in Spain with no chance to offset the tax already paid in UK. So it is truly a double tax treaty for Government pensioners. It is a pity Spain does not have a Non Dom category like UK but then only UK is that daft and looks after the fat cats.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The main point of the original post was really the lack of understanding the MP had that made the comment. He failed to get the RESIDENT part. All he went on to say was NHS was for British Tax payers. However we know that isn't the case as there are British Tax payers not allowed to use it. To be honest if living full time in Spain the new rules whereby one pays to Spain any tax due over what the UK has already had is fair, although I doubt it will encourage the early government pensioner to become resident, no doubt just a few more under the radar.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Not unless you are a pensioner?
Not then either, as you pay a % of your prescription costs.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 6:23 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The main point of the original post was really the lack of understanding the MP had that made the comment. He failed to get the RESIDENT part. All he went on to say was NHS was for British Tax payers. However we know that isn't the case as there are British Tax payers not allowed to use it.
There are also non UK citizens who are perfectly entitled to use it, which he also failed to acknowledge in his rather careless wording.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.