Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Residencia laws.

New Residencia laws.

Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Residencia laws.

On page 12 of the town crier today is a notice from the British Embassy saying roughly;

From March 28th EU citizens will no longer be issued with residence cards.
However the new decree requires all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months to register in person at the foreigners office in their province of residence.
They will be given a certificate stating their name,nationalty, identity number and date of registration. Errrm same as NIE form ?

Although cant find any info on Embassy or mira.es sites.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Residencia laws.

Originally Posted by jdr
On page 12 of the town crier today is a notice from the British Embassy saying roughly;

However the new decree requires all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months to register in person at the foreigners office in their province of residence.
They will be given a certificate stating their name,nationalty, identity number and date of registration. Errrm same as NIE form ?

We would be grateful for any info that you find regarding residents cards as we still have to carry our passports around with us for ID. We do have NIE numbers but have not gone for residencia as things were changing.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the new scheme is that anyone who needed to apply for a card still has to apply for a certificate.

The process will be quicker and easier as you don't have to go back for prints but the certificate will not be classed as an identity document so you will have to carry your passport again!

Progress????
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

helen17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me get this straight in my head - so all the places where we have to produce our residence card, like the bank to access our account, we will have to use our passport? If so, definately going backwards!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:16 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I use my driving licence with no problems in the Bank in the shops.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:21 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Noooo - yet another thing to keep me awake at night
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:01 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Oh Noooo - yet another thing to keep me awake at night
Lionda

And we thought life in Spain was going to be easy, loads of stuff to worry over isnt it

Think i will have to set asside a month just to get paperwork and stuff sorted before even consider the beach and sunbathing and fun stuff !!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

In light of this information, does anyone have any idea what happens if you're in the process of applying for Residencia at the moment!?

We took our applications to a Gestor in October last year.
Unfortunately, he didn't submit them when he said he would (!) so they weren't submitted until the middle of December (allegedly!)

Despite several phone calls to him, he just keeps saying there's no news
He says that applications normally take 2 months to get to the finger printing stage, but that there are a lot of applications currently being processed

Is it worth me trying to phone the foreigners office directly, and attempting to untangle this mess!?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
Sam.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
In light of this information, does anyone have any idea what happens if you're in the process of applying for Residencia at the moment!?

Unfortunately, he didn't submit them when he said he would (!) so they weren't submitted until the middle of December (allegedly!)

He says that applications normally take 2 months to get to the finger printing stage, but that there are a lot of applications currently being processed

Is it worth me trying to phone the foreigners office directly, and attempting to untangle this mess!?

Sam.
If they come through before the date then they will suffice until they run out then you will have to get the (new ?) certificate. lol

What I cant make out is the NIE has this same info on it as this new certificate anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:49 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Graham Hydes
We would be grateful for any info that you find regarding residents cards as we still have to carry our passports around with us for ID. We do have NIE numbers but have not gone for residencia as things were changing.

Rosemary and Graham
hi, why dont you just photocopy your passports and carry that around with you, same as your driving license, regards,pat
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

http://spaincoin.net/index.php?optio...d=182&Itemid=2
That site gives more info. Note that you only need to get the new certificate when your residencia runs out and is due for renewal so it makes no difference to anyone with residencia. If you are in the middle of getting residencia, just go ahead with it. It´s only to try and catch the thousands of foreigners who don´t have their address recorded officially (not needed on NIE as you can just use a plot number from the escritura with no postal address).
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Residencia laws.

Originally Posted by jdr

Hi jdr,

This is really odd! We got our NIEs in Huelva and we tried the national police station but they sent us to the Officina De Extranjeros down on the dock road where we were issued with an NIE which as far as I can see is a tax registration number for non-residents.

This has Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Nationality, Identity Number (Tax Registration Number) and Place and Date of Issue.

So we will have to go again and pay €6.40 for another one called by a different name!!!

Regards,

John.

</IMG>
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Lionda

And we thought life in Spain was going to be easy, loads of stuff to worry over isnt it

Think i will have to set asside a month just to get paperwork and stuff sorted before even consider the beach and sunbathing and fun stuff !!
your hopeful! One month! that would be a record, we are 7 months in with two professional spanish assistance working on our behalf and we still dont have it all sorted.

My advice to all would be to get a residency card while you can. Each town will differ on its requiremnets, however the one thing that is universal in Spain is a residency card. The locals regonise it and know what to do. If you show them a certificate instead they might panic and run.

Please remember Spain is not old England, it is a different culture, you can not compare how things are done here to how they are done in the UK.

Even my baby had his finger prints taken for his card!

It makes me feel safer because I feel he is protected as he is in the system and will have all his rights.

hope this makes sense.

love

mary x x
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca

Sam.

The process does take a long time. They do not use computers here for admin, everyhting is paper work, with a stamp and a reciept, therefore there is a paper trail for every process to go through.
I live here and as I said before I have two ladies working on my behalf from my husbands work helping me with this, I show up personally to do the paper work with them, everything stops at 10 in the morning for breakfast, then everyhting stops for siesta. Then possibly they may work a gain at 5 or wait untill the next day. So there is not that much time they give themselves to get the work done.
Dont get frustrated by this, it is the way here. Manage your expectations and be more patient then you ever thought possible.
Be over nice to any on ein admin or they will never process your forms, and I mean never. Once a piece of paper is lost, it is lost! Get a reipt for every orginal piece of paper work you hand over.

Hope this helps

mary
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you jdr, Lis48 and maryann for your helpful replies.

Have looked at spaincoin.net and the Spanish site mir.es
My Spanish isn't fluent (!) but I couldn't find anything that gave information about the new changes??
Maybe, as maryann says, it will take a while even for the Government website to be updated!?

Regarding the fact that this "new" certificate doesn't seem to be any different from the NIE, the following info was on the spaincoin page:

However as the new smart card DNI’s are introduced across Spain for nationals this year, it’s thought that similar cards are likely to be issued to foreign residents also in the future.
(Don't hold your breath, eh!?)

As for carrying ID, we both just carry our driving licences with us - and so far that's been fine.
We also keep a note of our NIE numbers on us, as it's surprising how often we get asked for it!

For anyone thinking of carrying photocopies of their passport.........do you think the "authorities" will accept copies, seeing as everything has to be done in triplicate here!? Maybe only originals will suffice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.