Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New limit on ciggies to UK.

New limit on ciggies to UK.

Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Soapdish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New limit on ciggies to UK.

I found out at Alicante airport when I arrived last week that from 1st October 2011, you can only take 4 cartons (800) cigarettes back to the U. Previously this was 16 cartons(3200 cigs). The people who told me had found out from a local pare but no one seems to know about it. So, as soon as I got in I looked it up on the internet and yes, it´s true. There was also a local English paper, I think it was the Post which also had it. Apparently, Ireland has also got the same restrictions in place!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New limit on ciggies to UK.

I've understand that 800 has been the limit for many years.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Nope it has always been 3200, they even know that at the estanco/tabacalera. The article I read came into effect on 1st October 2011, it´s just like a stricter border control. If you can prove that it´s for personal use then you are OK.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/tobacco-products.pdf

Hope this clarifys things!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soapdish
Nope it has always been 3200, they even know that at the estanco/tabacalera. The article I read came into effect on 1st October 2011, it´s just like a stricter border control. If you can prove that it´s for personal use then you are OK.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/tobacco-products.pdf

Hope this clarifys things!
That is the amount you are permitted to enter the UK with.

To leave Spain with more than 800 I believe you need an export license

Edit :- http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...CE_PROD_008546

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 9th 2011 at 10:45 am.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
That is the amount you are permitted to enter the UK with.

To leave Spain with more than 800 I believe you need an export license

Edit :- http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...CE_PROD_008546
Like the last time I went thru customs. The official there had the nerve to ask me if I were carrying more than 1,000 in cash. There's already a sign up saying that if you have more than 10K you have to declare it. My immediate thought was, "What the f'uck business is it of yours?"
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:52 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

It clearly states from the link that if they are for your own personal use then the old limit can be followed (or words to that effect)
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
It clearly states from the link that if they are for your own personal use then the old limit can be followed (or words to that effect)
True but it now gives them the right to argue about it at a lower level than before.

As far as the Spanish rules are concerned, yes, you need the appropriate documentation in theory to hold or move large quantities of tobacco but I think the rules are more directed at people bringing in large amounts from Gib rather than expats taking them back to the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by playamonte
However Spanish Regulations:-

Spain has its own regulations

When travelling to Spain, UK citizens need to be aware that the Spanish authorities have domestic legislation, which places documentary obligations upon anyone holding or moving large quantities of duty-paid cigarettes (above 800). One of the practical effects of this is that UK travellers, in the same way as everybody else who is holding or moving large quantities of duty-paid cigarettes in Spain (between 800 and 1200), must produce a receipt from a legitimate retailer and, for even larger quantities of cigarettes (over 1200), a form known as a 'Documento de Acompanamiento'.

I was wrong when I called it an export license but that was from memory before I checked.

Fred, Gibraltar has it's own regulation which I believe limits you to 1000 duty paid to be purchased ( will try and check if it has been lowered ) EDIT :- have checked 1000 is correct.

But to take them into Spain the limit is 200 per month duty free or duty paid..

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 9th 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
Like the last time I went thru customs. The official there had the nerve to ask me if I were carrying more than 1,000 in cash. There's already a sign up saying that if you have more than 10K you have to declare it. My immediate thought was, "What the f'uck business is it of yours?"
So if I was going through customs and I had 9,900... what´s he going to do about it? My son also told me that when he was at Gatwick airport where they do the hand luggage check, there was a guy who had been stopped and he had about 7 K and they were giving him a lot of hassle... like where is the bank receipt to sat its yours!!???
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soapdish
So if I was going through customs and I had 9,900... what´s he going to do about it? My son also told me that when he was at Gatwick airport where they do the hand luggage check, there was a guy who had been stopped and he had about 7 K and they were giving him a lot of hassle... like where is the bank receipt to sat its yours!!???
I think you might find you'd get stopped and asked every time you come through. My OH had a (legal) amount of money but has carried fairly large amounts (legally) several times and been stopped before. Random is less random when they pick you out from passport ID, don't forget.....