Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New licence exchange protocol problem

New licence exchange protocol problem

Old Oct 12th 2019, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New licence exchange protocol problem

I have been trying to apply under the just introduced protocol to register for a licence exchange. ie as there is no chance of getting an appt before 31 October the spanish govt allows you to register online now, on the DGT website, then have 9 months to go through the normal (pre-brexit) process.

When I click the link application online in the "What you need" section, I keep getting an error message.

Has anyone else been successful with this? If so, your advice much needed!

John
Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New licence exchange protocol problem

Originally Posted by trythallj
I have been trying to apply under the just introduced protocol to register for a licence exchange. ie as there is no chance of getting an appt before 31 October the spanish govt allows you to register online now, on the DGT website, then have 9 months to go through the normal (pre-brexit) process.

When I click the link application online in the "What you need" section, I keep getting an error message.

Has anyone else been successful with this? If so, your advice much needed!

John
This is the link in Spanish : https://sede-org.dgt.gob.es/sede-ele...uk/index.shtml

Google translate will help but basically need to apply online and will need approrpriate method of access - Clave or similar.

Can also try calling : 060

Does also say you can turn up with the correct forms without an appointment at your local "Jefe de Trafico "
3. Presencialmente, entregando la solicitud que te puedes descargar en esta misma página en cualquier Jefatura u Oficina de Tráfico. Puedes acudir directamente a tu jefatura sin necesidad de solicitar cita previa.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Oct 12th 2019 at 10:32 am.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, that is what I was trying to use, with a digital certificate.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 11:42 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This is the link in Spanish : https://sede-org.dgt.gob.es/sede-ele...uk/index.shtml

Google translate will help but basically need to apply online and will need approrpriate method of access - Clave or similar.

Can also try calling : 060

Does also say you can turn up with the correct forms without an appointment at your local "Jefe de Trafico "
3. Presencialmente, entregando la solicitud que te puedes descargar en esta misma página en cualquier Jefatura u Oficina de Tráfico. Puedes acudir directamente a tu jefatura sin necesidad de solicitar cita previa.

The overall problem is that the UK has been removed from the list of countries. Consequently, no-one from the UK can actually make an appointment at the moment.

Also, our local office (Valencia) states quite clearly that you MUST have an appointment - walk-ins will be turned away.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 11:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason to get a gestor to sort it out.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This was on Facebook this morning posted by British Embassy in Madrid - Brits in Spain page -

'Exchanging your UK licence for a Spanish has long been one of our key Brexit preparation messages, though we know many of you have had problems getting an appointment. In response, the Spanish authorities have, this week, put special measures in place to help UK nationals get into the system as quickly as possible. If you have not already exchanged your licence you should register your request for an appointment by 1 November. The DGT will then guarantee that your UK licence will be exchanged during the 9-month grace period set out in the no-deal Royal Decree and, importantly, you will not have to take a test. You can register your “solicitud” online, by calling 060 (in Spanish only) or in person. For more information see: https://sede-org.dgt.gob.es/…/canje-renovacion-…/index.shtml. If you can’t register your request before 1 November, don’t panic. Your UK licence will still be valid in Spain for 9 months, during which time discussions will continue to ensure a clear process for the continued exchange of licences.'
Old Oct 12th 2019, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Snikpoh - I think removal of Reino Unido from the countries list coincided with the new protocol, and if I remember correctly, appointment booking will reopen from 11 November for those who have registered by the end of October. I am having problems with the online procedure described above by spainrico. Has anyone here successfully registered online in the last few days since this procedure was introduced?
Old Oct 12th 2019, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

I also had trouble with the electronic signature. If you are still struggling there is a PDF file. You can print that off, fill it in and take it to your Dtg. That way you will have made the application before the end date.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I are in the process of transferring our UK licences to Spanish ones. I can recommend using a Gestor it takes all the "pain" of making appointments etc. Our is charging Euro 108 each which I think is not a bad fee.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New licence exchange protocol problem

Originally Posted by NABman
My wife and I are in the process of transferring our UK licences to Spanish ones. I can recommend using a Gestor it takes all the "pain" of making appointments etc. Our is charging Euro 108 each which I think is not a bad fee.
I strongly agree with this.If you do not get your licence changed before the cut off date you will have to take a Spanish driving test who wants the cost and pain from that.My wife saw our gestor shopping yesterday morning and while chatting driving licences came up she said there has been an avalanche of applications through out the alicante area and the DGT are swamped.Take the advice above no stress and new licence.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 8:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Snikpoh - I think removal of Reino Unido from the countries list coincided with the new protocol, and if I remember correctly, appointment booking will reopen from 11 November for those who have registered by the end of October. I am having problems with the online procedure described above by spainrico. Has anyone here successfully registered online in the last few days since this procedure was introduced?
How does one register if they can't get an appointment?

Also, the protocol mentioned is in direct contradiction to the press release by the DGT. They state, unless you have registered or got an appointment before Brexit, then your UK d/l is immediately invalid - that is, NO GRACE PERIOD.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

The registration is online, by phone or a printed form, before 31 Oct. The appointment comes later, in the next 9 months.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 10:38 am
Retired and loving it!

The registration is online, by phone or a printed form, before 31 Oct. The appointment comes later, in the next 9 months.
Can you give a link as to how to register as all I can find is how to get an appointment and the UK isn't in the list so that isn't possible
Old Oct 13th 2019, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Just had success in making the link work with my digital certificate. I knew it did not work with Firefox browser, but had used Internet Explorer successfully before, and was using that. But no, but it does work in Microsoft Edge.

However.......... the DGT form does not seem to make sense, with options to choose ETIQUETAS TIPOS 1, 2 or 3, without explaining what they are. Then the next box is conditional on you having chosen an option which is not offered.

ARGH!!!!! I think I need to see my gestor!

But thank you all who have tried to help.

John
Old Oct 13th 2019, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

There is a link on this website:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...ving-licences/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.