Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New FTA sat box - Help

New FTA sat box - Help

Old May 21st 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default New FTA sat box - Help

Hopefully a basic Sat question.

I've brought a new (admittedly cheap) satellite receiver over with me (because I needed something to record on).

It picks up all the main BBC ITV etc channels and and few more.

However there are quite a few others missing - notably some of the free movie channels. Also no Sky news.

When doing a scan, the channel listing seems very different to my old box. It lists loads of channels that cannot be received, up to number 350.
Receivable channels start at number 351 (Channel 4).

Note, the list of satellites only mentions one at 28.2, which is Astra 2A,B,D.
Do I need to Add or Edit the list.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st 2014, 9:53 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New FTA sat box - Help

Originally Posted by lutonlad
However there are quite a few others missing - notably some of the free movie channels.
Perhaps your receiver does not have the most up to date frequencies for them.
Some of the cheap free chanensl change their frequencies a few times a few months ago - so perhaps your receiver does not have the new frequencies in them.

If you do a channel search - you should have the option for a "network search" or "NIT" - turn this on, and the receiver should update its frequency tables to include any new frequencies active on the satellite.

If you do not have this option, then best to ditch the receiver and get one that does - it is not nice having to manually input frequencies.....

Also no Sky news
But that is on the same frequency it has been for several years.
SO perhaps the dish is out of alignment, or lnb skew is not ideal,
Or your LNB settings in the box are not what they should be.

When doing a scan, the channel listing seems very different to my old box. It lists loads of channels that cannot be received, up to number 350.
Receivable channels start at number 351 (Channel 4).
Not all boxes are the same...so things will be different.

If it list channels you do not want, or cannot get, then delete them, and do a fresh scan....

Note, the list of satellites only mentions one at 28.2, which is Astra 2A,B,D.
Do I need to Add or Edit the list.
It does not list one satellite, it lists 3 - a,b,and d.
B is no longer at the uk tv slot.
d was "decommissioned a few years ago - but is still there just in case,
a is still working, but will be replaced with 2g later this year.

But No you do not need to edit that list
Not unless you really want to.
Its the frequencies BEHIND the satellite list that are important.
YOu could call it "fred" instead of "Astra 2A,B,D" - it would make no difference at all.
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your reply. Very useful.

I took a chance on this box for 40 quid! It's an Octagon with PVR.

It has got Network search option, so I'll give it a try.

I think the dish is probably ok (communal system).

Hope you don't mind another question...

The arrangement I've got is 2 boxes (off a cable splitter). One in the lounge, the other in the bedroom. I tend to only have one switched on at a time, because I'm concerned about LNB voltage coming from both. Am I right?

The reason I'm asking is that it is useful to have them both on occasionally - because certain channel combinations work on both. It's the LNB voltage issue that concerns me.
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:48 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

The arrangement I've got is 2 boxes (off a cable splitter). One in the lounge, the other in the bedroom. I tend to only have one switched on at a time, because I'm concerned about LNB voltage coming from both. Am I right?

The reason I'm asking is that it is useful to have them both on occasionally - because certain channel combinations work on both. It's the LNB voltage issue that concerns me.
Running two receivers from one cable is not the best.
So you will, like you say, need to switch off one when the other is on - not just standby, but totally off.

As long as both receivers are on the same "frequency group" then it should not be an issue.
It is only when you start to channel hop and move between the four frequency groups, when the other receiver is set to one, that may cause problems.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Guy
Running two receivers from one cable is not the best.
So you will, like you say, need to switch off one when the other is on - not just standby, but totally off.

As long as both receivers are on the same "frequency group" then it should not be an issue.
It is only when you start to channel hop and move between the four frequency groups, when the other receiver is set to one, that may cause problems.
Thanks again.