Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Friends in Madrid?!

New Friends in Madrid?!

Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default New Friends in Madrid?!

Well, the move has been confirmed, and we set sail mid February for our next adventure in Madrid!

I'd love to know if there are any lovely people living in Madrid who would like to hang out with us! I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old, and we are all seasoned modern-day nomads, up for exploring, wandering, eating, chilling... and more exploring and wandering!!

I'm also an aspiring ecopsychologist so if there are any budding ecologists, or organic food lovers, or just nature-connected types who could point me in the direction of a great market, that would also be super fabulous!

Looking forward to some friendly feedback!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Friends in Madrid?!

glad to hear the waiting is over, so from butterflies in the stomach its now the lead balloon

can't help as I am in Granada, but I am sure there are one or two here from that part of the country

rgds
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Domino
glad to hear the waiting is over, so from butterflies in the stomach its now the lead balloon

can't help as I am in Granada, but I am sure there are one or two here from that part of the country

rgds
Thanks Dom!

Actually, the lead balloon has actually lightened its load a bit, and now I'm (should I actually admit it?)... a bit excited!

I think it was the search for temporary accommodation for my husband that has suddenly made it seem less daunting and a bit more thrilling! It's always the small things, like the view of a park, or some beautiful historical monument... or something as randomly eery... or perhaps magical even... as the Temple of Debod. Anyway, the nerves are still there, but they're definitely tinged with some golden bubbles of excitement!

I'll keep you posted. Granada - beautiful, beautiful part of the world!

Thanks again xxx
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I live now in London, but know Madrid well, having worked there in the past, and also having visited most years since about 1990.
There are expats out there, some with kids, but I don't know any who post on this talkboard. You may find useful info and links at http://www.inmadrid.com/ and also at http://www.englishwarehouse.com/
One thing you have to be a little aware about, is personal security, albeit at the "petty" level eg pick pocketing and bag-snatching, especially in central areas. I said "petty" but obviously it won't feel like that if your money and cards get swiped. Things move at a surprisingly fast pace in central Madrid, so if you put something down, whether it be a newspaper or a phone, it can disappear smartish. Not something that matters so much with a newspaper, but other things will. Be wary of any group of beggars - often they are Gypsy gangs (from other lands) who seek out guiri targets.
Meeting someone for a drink can be very economical (unless using Starbucks) - a coffee or a cana can be had for 1.30, and you may well end up addicted to the coffee. As soon as possible learn enough Spanish to shout out a greeting and your order when entering the cafe-bar, as you'll then get very prompt service. Try the Cafe Commercial near metro Bilbao for a typical meet, or if you want to splash out for a bit of luxury try http://www.restauranteelespejo.com/w...za_madrid.html not far down from Metro Colon on the Castellana. I'm afraid most breakfasts are the stickey sweet stuff (churros, croisant etc) although if you order a "pincho de tortilla" or a "montado de lomo" (pork slice on bread) it may satisfy your savoury taste buds. Places like El Corte Ingles, VIPs or even Starbucks are there if you want a wider range of options. Lunchtimes? Menu del Dia can be a good way to sample different Spanish dishes, but no doubt you'll find it a lot cheaper to cook at home. Eating out at night - there are thousands of options. Don't try going to a fish/seafood place on Monday - it will be shut!
Public transport - as soon as possible get your abono (travel card) sorted out, if you intend using the extensive public transport system. Taxis are normally good value, but avoid those at airports or station stops - I've always found flagging down a taxi gets you the honest operator.
Drinking water is possibly the best in Spain (it comes from local mountain reservoirs).
One more thing, if you're flying regularly into Madrid. Airport taxis can be expensive, and I find using the metro depressing over such a long distance. However there is a regular bus shuttle that goes from Avenida de americas which is very good value.
Good luck!

PS forgot to add - you can expect cold blasts (with snow on surrounding hills) any time up to May. Don't chuck away your woollies if you get a warm spell in ~Jan or March! But do expect blistering heat June to August. September and October can be the best time of year (although when the weather breaks mid Oct or Nov it can be a shock to the system).

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jan 5th 2013 at 8:19 am.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hi. I live now in London, but know Madrid well, having worked there in the past, and also having visited most years since about 1990.
There are expats out there, some with kids, but I don't know any who post on this talkboard. You may find useful info and links at http://www.inmadrid.com/ and also at http://www.englishwarehouse.com/
One thing you have to be a little aware about, is personal security, albeit at the "petty" level eg pick pocketing and bag-snatching, especially in central areas. I said "petty" but obviously it won't feel like that if your money and cards get swiped. Things move at a surprisingly fast pace in central Madrid, so if you put something down, whether it be a newspaper or a phone, it can disappear smartish. Not something that matters so much with a newspaper, but other things will. Be wary of any group of beggars - often they are Gypsy gangs (from other lands) who seek out guiri targets.
Meeting someone for a drink can be very economical (unless using Starbucks) - a coffee or a cana can be had for 1.30, and you may well end up addicted to the coffee. As soon as possible learn enough Spanish to shout out a greeting and your order when entering the cafe-bar, as you'll then get very prompt service. Try the Cafe Commercial near metro Bilbao for a typical meet, or if you want to splash out for a bit of luxury try http://www.restauranteelespejo.com/w...za_madrid.html not far down from Metro Colon on the Castellana. I'm afraid most breakfasts are the stickey sweet stuff (churros, croisant etc) although if you order a "pincho de tortilla" or a "montado de lomo" (pork slice on bread) it may satisfy your savoury taste buds. Places like El Corte Ingles, VIPs or even Starbucks are there if you want a wider range of options. Lunchtimes? Menu del Dia can be a good way to sample different Spanish dishes, but no doubt you'll find it a lot cheaper to cook at home. Eating out at night - there are thousands of options. Don't try going to a fish/seafood place on Monday - it will be shut!
Public transport - as soon as possible get your abono (travel card) sorted out, if you intend using the extensive public transport system. Taxis are normally good value, but avoid those at airports or station stops - I've always found flagging down a taxi gets you the honest operator.
Drinking water is possibly the best in Spain (it comes from local mountain reservoirs).
One more thing, if you're flying regularly into Madrid. Airport taxis can be expensive, and I find using the metro depressing over such a long distance. However there is a regular bus shuttle that goes from Avenida de americas which is very good value.
Good luck!

PS forgot to add - you can expect cold blasts (with snow on surrounding hills) any time up to May. Don't chuck away your woollies if you get a warm spell in ~Jan or March! But do expect blistering heat June to August. September and October can be the best time of year (although when the weather breaks mid Oct or Nov it can be a shock to the system).
Wow - thanks for all that great info! Truly appreciated!

I'm going to send this to my husband!

I've heard about the extremes in weather and have seen online that, even though it's sunnier, temperatures are about the same as here in Amsterdam - so not intending on throwing out any winter stuff!

Slightly nervous about the summer heat - my last experience of that kind of heat was in Sydney, when it hit 42 on the day the removalists arrived. Now that was fun...

We already speak some Spanish, (and I'm bilingual Italian which helps!) as we lived in Palma de Mallorca 10 years ago! And we loved, loved, loved the Menu del Dia! Sticky sweet is fine by me when breakfasting out - the Italians do it that way too, to give them a kick start in the day! And the occasional treat is always worth it for some churros con chocolate!

I'll check out the links you sent me for seeking out friends and am hoping that through the kids' school and my husband's work there will some willing to befriend us hippy types!

Thank you, again!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
Thanks Dom!

Actually, the lead balloon has actually lightened its load a bit, and now I'm (should I actually admit it?)... a bit excited!

I think it was the search for temporary accommodation for my husband that has suddenly made it seem less daunting and a bit more thrilling! It's always the small things, like the view of a park, or some beautiful historical monument... or something as randomly eery... or perhaps magical even... as the Temple of Debod. Anyway, the nerves are still there, but they're definitely tinged with some golden bubbles of excitement!

I'll keep you posted. Granada - beautiful, beautiful part of the world!

Thanks again xxx
yeah remember feeling better when the BH selected one of the 5 flats offered, meant that we could have a couple of days to ourselves and look at what had to be brought out to help her get started in work 4 weeks later, with her son's wedding inbetween.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:53 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move. We moved to the Mainland in September, after 6 years in the Canaries. I'm in Almería, so not close enough to meet up I'm afraid... but there is a healthy Expat contingent in the city... so you should make friends in no time.
Elle xx