Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New to the forum: Costa Blanca South advice please

New to the forum: Costa Blanca South advice please

Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Gwenk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the forum: Costa Blanca South advice please

Hi, we are retiring end of 2014 and planning to rent in Costa Blanca south for a year or so until we decide where we would like to buy. Have visited the area several times and really enjoy La Zenia and La Mata. Can anyone tell me what these areas are like in winter please? I wouldn't like to stay somewhere that ends up deserted for a couple of months. Many thanks
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the forum: Costa Blanca South advice please

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gwen,

I reckon you asked the most important question for somebody moving to Spain and not seeking employment. I know very little about Costa Blanca so I will not even attempt to give you and answer.

But, you raised a very important point about Ghost Towns from October to May most of which do not even have a decent open shop off season.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gwenk
Hi, we are retiring end of 2014 and planning to rent in Costa Blanca south for a year or so until we decide where we would like to buy. Have visited the area several times and really enjoy La Zenia and La Mata. Can anyone tell me what these areas are like in winter please? I wouldn't like to stay somewhere that ends up deserted for a couple of months. Many thanks
Much quieter in winter, but there are still plenty of people there, just that some cafes do open for shorter hours, or perhaps not every day. La Zenia should be OK as there is the new shopping mall to bring people in, and the hotel does get plenty of visitors, we found the beach walks a lot nicer in winter, not too many people around
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kezar is an unknown quantity at this point

we have a property slightly further down the coast in Los Alcazares.

We visited in January and went to the new shopping centre in La Zenia a few times getting items for our new house. Yes its not like summer but certainly not a ghost town.

In Los Alcazares there are no beach bars open but most other restaurants / bars are, although some do seem to close for a few weeks for holiday following Kings Day.

And its 18oC and sunny not like at the UK at the moment!!

Can't wait for retirement to come
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:00 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots who live in those urbanisations year round and there are plenty of bars and restaurants which stay open. Not as busy (thankfully) as during summer but certainly not ghost towns.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Valencian is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go for "Paseo del Mar" area near Hotel La Zenia. You won't have a ghost town problem there.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valencian
I would go for "Paseo del Mar" area near Hotel La Zenia. You won't have a ghost town problem there.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Gwenk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your suggestions but I am now totally confused over the taxation system. Even after living in Spain 6 months and being classed as a resident, are you still required to complete a tax return even though we will be retired? I have read through many posts on this topic and find it so stressful! Can anyone put it in simple terms for me please or maybe point me in the direction of a good website to explain the system.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Don't stress, life is too short. Forget about tax until after you get here.

Any decent estate agent will be better placed to advise you face to face.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 3:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your suggestions but I am now totally confused over the taxation system. Even after living in Spain 6 months and being classed as a resident, are you still required to complete a tax return even though we will be retired? I have read through many posts on this topic and find it so stressful! Can anyone put it in simple terms for me please or maybe point me in the direction of a good website to explain the system.
After living in Spain for more than 183 days you will be classed as tax resident and have to submit a tax return even though you are retired. The first time I would use a gestor to do this for you, saves you all the hassle, you can then, if you want, DIY the next time.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Don't stress, life is too short. Forget about tax until after you get here.

Any decent estate agent will be better placed to advise you face to face.
Err, I think a bit of research may save you big problems later. There are implications to being tax resident in Spain, you need to know what you are getting into in advance not after the fact.
Advice from "any decent estate agent", I would prefer to hand my money to the local tramp.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Err, I think a bit of research may save you big problems later. There are implications to being tax resident in Spain, you need to know what you are getting into in advance not after the fact.
Advice from "any decent estate agent", I would prefer to hand my money to the local tramp.
I agree, the situation is now really harsh for residents and hacienda demands more and more information.

If possible leave the move until 183 days have passed that way you will not become tax resident until a year later.
You could possibly save yourself from having to pay CGT on you UK home to hacienda.

Ask around and you will find that there are many expats wanting to become non residents, to avoid handing over big chunks of assets to Spanish taxman.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I agree, the situation is now really harsh for residents and hacienda demands more and more information.

If possible leave the move until 183 days have passed that way you will not become tax resident until a year later.
You could possibly save yourself from having to pay CGT on you UK home to hacienda.

Ask around and you will find that there are many expats wanting to become non residents, to avoid handing over big chunks of assets to Spanish taxman.
Firstly what does CGT stand for? and I often read scare stories like you have just written, so can you put some figures to your suggestions of taxmen taking 'big chunks' of income! It's enough to put everyone coming to Spain to live out their retirement. It would be nice to read some encouraging remarks for a change
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

CGT = Capital Gains Tax ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.