Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New to the forum but not to Ayamonte.

New to the forum but not to Ayamonte.

Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Tapas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the forum but not to Ayamonte.

I love the place and have done since I bought on the Marina at Punta Del Moral off plan 8 years ago. I love everything except Isla Canela's builders and Gesprosur who are currently reneging on their 10 year building insurance. They repaired damp in my attico a year ago but have failed to do the same for my Spanish neighbour downstairs whom I obviously have sympathy. The damp is obviously coming from my roof terrace but despite masticking etc, which I have attempted, the problem is recurring this winter. In summary:-
1) Does anyone know of a good local lawyer who may be happy to go against Pryconsa/ Isla Canela? There are a couple of decent local lawyers but they all seem to be pretty tied into the local builders so I'm not confident of their impartiality.
2) Anyone who can recommend local English speaking builders, etc who may be able to rectify this problem? I did hear that there was a builder who was employed by a local bank and who was able to protect roof terraces of the unsold rooftop apartments that said bank was left with post bankrupcy.
3) I may also require some sort of structural surveyor of sorts who may be able to diagnose/ rectify the problem and may also be useful in approaching Gesprosur/ Isla Canela with technical detail.
Sorry to bore with my problems but this situation could well end up with me walking away from an apartment and area that me and my family have fallen in love with over the last 8 years.
Cheers!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to the forum but not to Ayamonte.

Originally Posted by Tapas
I love the place and have done since I bought on the Marina at Punta Del Moral off plan 8 years ago. I love everything except Isla Canela's builders and Gesprosur who are currently reneging on their 10 year building insurance. They repaired damp in my attico a year ago but have failed to do the same for my Spanish neighbour downstairs whom I obviously have sympathy. The damp is obviously coming from my roof terrace but despite masticking etc, which I have attempted, the problem is recurring this winter. In summary:-
1) Does anyone know of a good local lawyer who may be happy to go against Pryconsa/ Isla Canela? There are a couple of decent local lawyers but they all seem to be pretty tied into the local builders so I'm not confident of their impartiality.
2) Anyone who can recommend local English speaking builders, etc who may be able to rectify this problem? I did hear that there was a builder who was employed by a local bank and who was able to protect roof terraces of the unsold rooftop apartments that said bank was left with post bankrupcy.
3) I may also require some sort of structural surveyor of sorts who may be able to diagnose/ rectify the problem and may also be useful in approaching Gesprosur/ Isla Canela with technical detail.
Sorry to bore with my problems but this situation could well end up with me walking away from an apartment and area that me and my family have fallen in love with over the last 8 years.
Cheers!
Hi Tapas
I wouldn't waste your time & effort with the lawyer/surveyor route
We are in Marina 111 ( the block with the rendering & paint falling off)& as a community have had a structural survey done.
Basically Pryconsa/Isla Canela have said see you in court if you can afford it.
Saying that they have done some very average repairs to our apartment , mainly because the rendering was falling into the car park.
We as a community have raised a fund to have the work done ourselves it's meant to be done this year( watch this space)
We have a different management company to you but they are about as efficient.
You could try having a word with Bart in Isla Canela Tours about a builder he seems to have plenty of contacts.
I have sent you a PM with another contact.
We like you love the area & always have a great time when we are there.
I don't think you will ever beat the system out there , just keep enjoying the Rioja , that's what I do now.
Regards
Chris
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:58 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tapas, which block are you in I, II, III or IV?

Bart is a good contact for these matters, e-mail: [email protected] or you can try these people: www.luzservices.weebly.com

@ Chris: Tapas only has 1 post and therefore canĀ“t receive private messages yet
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Chris and Jur. I know Bart so thanks for that, only know him having a beer in Sonrisa and late in the Sugar Reef, didn't know his contact list. A good lad! If he's in town and not away for the winter, I'll pop over and give him my keys and get him on the case.
I suppose my only other fear is that the guy below tries to sue me for neglect but I am now in contact with him and hopefully he'll split the cost. He speaks no English and despite my (poor) attempts I speak no Spanish. Should be an interesting meeting over Easter!!
Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll drop him a note. I'm in Marina IV.
Cheers again.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tapas
Cheers Chris and Jur. I know Bart so thanks for that, only know him having a beer in Sonrisa and late in the Sugar Reef, didn't know his contact list. A good lad! If he's in town and not away for the winter, I'll pop over and give him my keys and get him on the case.
I suppose my only other fear is that the guy below tries to sue me for neglect but I am now in contact with him and hopefully he'll split the cost. He speaks no English and despite my (poor) attempts I speak no Spanish. Should be an interesting meeting over Easter!!
Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll drop him a note. I'm in Marina IV.
Cheers again.
I saw him in the Marina a couple of weeks ago.
He has sorted problems out for numerous people
I have sent you an email with another name, I think you should receive that if not my PM
Chris
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New to the forum but not to Ayamonte.

Hi Tappas and welcome to Expats.

Don't abandon all hope just yet your problems are solveable. I think everybody had problems last winter the wettest in this area for 75 years which probably means the wettest for even longer since good record can't be much older.

You and your neighbour have problem with what the trade calls "tanking" an impervious layer which sits out of sight under the roof tiles or terrace tiles. If there is any breach of this the water will get through and will find an outllet usually down to your rooms from the roof or your neighbours from the terrace.

The solution is to remove the tiles and replace (preferred) or repair the tanking.

Up here on Esuri I watched a friend do just this on his own house 3-4 years ago and it is still sound. He could do the same for you he is in the trade and undertakes just this kind of work.

He has worked in the construction industry all his working life all around the world. He is Benny of Sam and Benny who have lived on Canela at the marina end in the past so he is very familiar with where you are.

Another couple of posts from you and I will PM his phone No to you.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 22nd 2011 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's very interesting and makes sense as I now have masticking around the edges but apparantly to no avail. I believe I am ok to accept pm now.

thanks.