Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Ferry Service by Brittany Ferries

New Ferry Service by Brittany Ferries

Old Feb 15th 2014, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Ferry Service by Brittany Ferries

Just read that Brittany Ferries is to launch a new economy ferry service from end of March from Portsmouth to Santander prices start from 169 quid including reclining seat. This is to rival the new LD ferry from Poole. No carpets in cabins and just one lounge and no fancy restaurants but takes dogs.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Ferry Service by Brittany Ferries

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just read that Brittany Ferries is to launch a new economy ferry service from end of March from Portsmouth to Santander prices start from 169 quid including reclining seat. This is to rival the new LD ferry from Poole. No carpets in cabins and just one lounge and no fancy restaurants but takes dogs.
Sounds good! Where did you read it? Any further info?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Sounds good! Where did you read it? Any further info?
MSN UK much smaller ship. But I suppose it will also be on their website.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...t-service.html
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Ferry Service by Brittany Ferries

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The ship used on this new service is a sister ship and the same class as the LD lines ferry from Poole/Gijon or Santander. There were 10 or 11 of this class built and they are basically commercial ferries for trucks. However they make the top deck (up a very steep ramp) available for cars but they are exposed to the elements which at this time of year must mean a lot of sea spray. They are basic but we found very adequate on the LD route Gijon to St Nazaire although that was only a 15 hr crossing. There is almost no entertainment facilities on board save a small cinema which has never shown a film in any of our crossings. The shop is smaller than the one on Esuri and not so well stocked.

The restaurant is self service and the food looks adequate if you regard it as fuel and you need calories. The outside 2 berth cabins are slightly larger with a wider bunk than the equivalent on BF's Cap or Pont.

Including the Ireland/Spain one there must be 5 of this class of ship ploughing across the Biscay every week so they can't be all that bad but you pays your money and takes your choice!

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie

http://ldlines.co.uk

http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/show...562#post150562
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Starts on the very day of my next trip over but already booked and paid so no good to me, be intersting though to do comparison. Certainly looking at the link for DFDs from Poole it would work out more expensive than I have paid!
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Starts on the very day of my next trip over but already booked and paid so no good to me, be intersting though to do comparison. Certainly looking at the link for DFDs from Poole it would work out more expensive than I have paid!
Because of the way it works the first Santander trip will be Saturday the 5th April and thereafter every Saturday down and Sunday back. If you have booked with BF YOU SHOULD HAVE ONLY PAID THE £35 deposit so I am sure if you rang them they would transfer you to the new service. Of course if you have booked LD Lines the full fare is payable upfront with no refund for withdrawal.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Already paid full amount, I think I will be happier with the Pont Aven given time of year etc, I enjoyed my crossing on it last year. Plus booked it through Saga so got 10% reduction.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought it read starting 25 th March which is my date. Already paid full amount, I think I will be happier with the Pont Aven given time of year etc, I enjoyed my crossing on it last year. Plus booked it through Saga so got 10% reduction.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobd22
I thought it read starting 25 th March which is my date. Already paid full amount, I think I will be happier with the Pont Aven given time of year etc, I enjoyed my crossing on it last year. Plus booked it through Saga so got 10% reduction.
We are BF Club Voyage members so we get the 30% fare discount but not on the accommodation. We have travelled on the lot from P&O Pride of Bilbao to the BF Cap and the Pont with LD LINES Norman Asturias and Norman Atlantic thrown in and our first choice for comfort and sea keeping qualities is the Cap Finistaire it is also not as loud as the Pont which suits our lifestyle whatever that is.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:52 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

oh well we will keep an eye on that for the return journey,we allready paid up for the journey on the18 of march.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 7:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
The ship used on this new service is a sister ship and the same class as the LD lines ferry from Poole/Gijon or Santander. There were 10 or 11 of this class built and they are basically commercial ferries for trucks. However they make the top deck (up a very steep ramp) available for cars but they are exposed to the elements which at this time of year must mean a lot of sea spray. They are basic but we found very adequate on the LD route Gijon to St Nazaire although that was only a 15 hr crossing. There is almost no entertainment facilities on board save a small cinema which has never shown a film in any of our crossings. The shop is smaller than the one on Esuri and not so well stocked.

The restaurant is self service and the food looks adequate if you regard it as fuel and you need calories. The outside 2 berth cabins are slightly larger with a wider bunk than the equivalent on BF's Cap or Pont.

Including the Ireland/Spain one there must be 5 of this class of ship ploughing across the Biscay every week so they can't be all that bad but you pays your money and takes your choice!

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie

http://ldlines.co.uk

http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/show...562#post150562
The departure times don't look great for those with a long journey to the port.
Possibly an extra nights accommodation required ?

Looking at the last posts on the bottom link, it looks like it's just been a nightmare trip back to the UK.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

ISTR making a booking with BF for mid December 2011 but they emailed and texted me a week before the due date that the sailing had been cancelled. So I changed to the Tunnel.
Driving thru France it was awash on the motorways, overtaking lorries was a nightmare (RHD car), even when I got to Madrid motorway system it was still raining and blowing a gale.

A ferry service can be delayed by the captain and also by not being able to sail or dock due to the weather. Like with aircraft, if the ferry is in the wrong place it has to get back into the normal sequence - which means someone (or many) have to get bumped.

`