Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Laws

New Credit Card Laws

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Credit Card Laws

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

I fancy that a certain Mr O' Leary will not be well pleased and quite a few others for that matter,though by now they'll likely be already working out their next scam.

There is also a proposal for further legislation the following year so that the price you see advertised is exactly the price you pay.

I know it's only a DM link, but its much as I heard it reported on the Beeb a couple of hours ago.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Credit Card Laws

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

I fancy that a certain Mr O' Leary will not be well pleased and quite a few others for that matter,though by now they'll likely be already working out their next scam.

There is also a proposal for further legislation the following year so that the price you see advertised is exactly the price you pay.

I know it's only a DM link, but its much as I heard it reported on the Beeb a couple of hours ago.

It's not a problem for him because he doesn't charge 'card fees'. He only charges a 'service charge' so this legislation won't affect him at all!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's not a problem for him because he doesn't charge 'card fees'. He only charges a 'service charge' so this legislation won't affect him at all!
Always way ahead of the game, that O'Leary.

We just paid EasyJet €16 each person, each way for "card fees". That's right, €64 in card fees for a single trip to the UK, which, by the way, the ticket price was €59 per person each way.

So, 2 people, flying round trip at the advertised price: €236. Add card fees, and the grand total is €300.

Better yet, the costs to the airline are 3%, which comes to a whopping €7. Total airline profit from the "card fees": €57.

Ahh, what a wonderful world...
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Allegedly this is why it`s not happening till the end of next year, so they can close all the loopholes (like service charges) they expect from the companies.
They will just add it onto the ticket price.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Allegedly this is why it`s not happening till the end of next year, so they can close all the loopholes (like service charges) they expect from the companies.
They will just add it onto the ticket price.
Hopefully they will close all the loopholes incl service charges and make it all straight forward.
The actual card administration cost is only a matter of a few pence, so clearly most of these charges are a rip off.

I would have absolutely no objection to them adding it to the ticket price if they wish, so ppl.can more clearly understand what the true price is and immediately make much fairer comparisons.

It's not everyone has the time to waste going into the details of various extra charges and in some cases these are simply stuck on after the transaction.
If it's the case of the price you see is the price you pay, then life is much simpler for everybody, especially old codgers like me.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully they will close all the loopholes incl service charges and make it all straight forward.
The actual card administration cost is only a matter of a few pence, so clearly most of these charges are a rip off.

I would have absolutely no objection to them adding it to the ticket price if they wish, so ppl.can more clearly understand what the true price is and immediately make much fairer comparisons.

It's not everyone has the time to waste going into the details of various extra charges and in some cases these are simply stuck on after the transaction.
If it's the case of the price you see is the price you pay, then life is much simpler for everybody, especially old codgers like me.
That would be much better, I didn`t like the way they charged each direction and ticket as a seperate transaction when in real life it is only one card transaction, supermarkets would make a killing if they did similar with their bills.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Always way ahead of the game, that O'Leary.

We just paid EasyJet €16 each person, each way for "card fees". That's right, €64 in card fees for a single trip to the UK, which, by the way, the ticket price was €59 per person each way.

So, 2 people, flying round trip at the advertised price: €236. Add card fees, and the grand total is €300.

Better yet, the costs to the airline are 3%, which comes to a whopping €7. Total airline profit from the "card fees": €57.

Ahh, what a wonderful world...
Get yourself an Electron Visa Debit Card, you don't pay any charges if you have one of those, I always use mine to book flights!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Get yourself an Electron Visa Debit Card, you don't pay any charges if you have one of those, I always use mine to book flights!
Or a Ryanair pre-loaded cash passport card for its flights.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I'm sure everyone is aware of the cards by now, but they're just MOL's way of making things unnecessarily difficult. One of the his cards used to be a different card, then you had to change to this current one, apply for it, remember to keep it topped up. Of course it's worth it in the end, but it's just a load of hoops to jump through. He says he doesn't make a card charge, it's an admin charge, but of course if you use his chosen card, there is no admin charge! Like DD, with all airlines, I'd much prefer the "what you see is what you pay" price, your book in charge, bag, taxes, insurances etc all in the price. If it says £50, that's what you pay. People say any extra card charges would be added to the flight price, they probably would, but I'd still prefer it that way, it's a lot more transparent.

Last edited by agoreira; Dec 24th 2011 at 8:11 am.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
That would be much better, I didn`t like the way they charged each direction and ticket as a seperate transaction when in real life it is only one card transaction, supermarkets would make a killing if they did similar with their bills.
The last changes to the rules were supposed to close the loopholes, now there are new loopholes, so they've got to close the new ones, no doubt they will find more..
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:43 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The last changes to the rules were supposed to close the loopholes, now there are new loopholes, so they've got to close the new ones, no doubt they will find more..
I think the idea is to word the legislation in such away that they have scope to close any attempted loopholes as they arise.
We shall no doubt see once it's in operation.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 1:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I think the idea is to word the legislation in such away that they have scope to close any attempted loopholes as they arise.
We shall no doubt see once it's in operation.
It could end up like Windoze with an update every week or so.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You can beat O`leary already with www.caxtonfxcard.com
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:41 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Rotor
You can beat O`leary already with www.caxtonfxcard.com
So whats your percentage ?

They gotta make their money somehow, so I presume its either from inferior exchange rates or interest on preloaded funds or both.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

So whats your percentage ?

They gotta make their money somehow, so I presume its either from inferior exchange rates or interest on preloaded funds or both.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/feesncha...?dist=CAXTGENL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.