Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New to Chiclana

New to Chiclana

Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Californ_I_A is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Chiclana

Hi everybody, my husband and I moved to Chiclana a few months ago. He is Spanish, and grew up in Cadiz, so has lots of friends and family in the area, but I am quite far from home (San Francisco, CA), so would like to make friendships of my own and new connections with other English speakers in the area. Anyone have ideas on social or art events, or places where I can meet new people here in town?

Thanks!

Americana in Chiclana
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Chiclana

Hi California and welcome

I don't know whether your interests go beyond wanting fun places to eat, drink and dance but there are lots of English-speaking groups doing things in this area: yoga, pilates, Qi Gong, art classes, book club/swap, International Women's Group, tennis club, quiz club, drama group. You can find out more in local free bi monthly mags called Baywatch and LaLuz, also a forum for the area mycadiz.biz with its Events section.

Hope that helps but p.m. me if you need more info.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, where in Chiclana are you living? What do you like to do. Tell us a bit more and hopefully can point you in the right direction. Bit warmer here than San Francisco when the fog comes in!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply!! I love listening to live music, and wouldn't mind meeting some musicians to perhaps play on the side? Also, I've been looking for a place to practice yoga/meditation (and would LOVE to try out pilates), but the only offerings I've seen around here are in gyms, and the classes they offer don't look very appealing. I'd be interested in taking some art classes as well, as lately I've been trying my hand at painting with oils. It would be nice to know some places to dance/drink/pub crawl too!

p.s. yes, the weather IS much better than the SF fog ... not to mention much more laid back and easy (no more guns, crime, big city pace, etc.)
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Oh, and one more thing, I live in the area of El Campito.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Californ_I_A
Thanks for the quick reply!! I love listening to live music, and wouldn't mind meeting some musicians to perhaps play on the side? Also, I've been looking for a place to practice yoga/meditation (and would LOVE to try out pilates), but the only offerings I've seen around here are in gyms, and the classes they offer don't look very appealing. I'd be interested in taking some art classes as well, as lately I've been trying my hand at painting with oils. It would be nice to know some places to dance/drink/pub crawl too!

p.s. yes, the weather IS much better than the SF fog ... not to mention much more laid back and easy (no more guns, crime, big city pace, etc.)
I do Pilates with Isabel on a Tuesday and Thursday morning at 10 am. 35 euros a month if you are interested. She is good. The class is run in Spanish but it is mixed with Spanish, German and English and isnĀ“t in a gym.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Californ_I_A

There is an art group in El Colorado, oil painting on a Thursday. Teaching Sevillanas dancing in Barrio Nuevo on Tuesdays and Isabel is a brilliant Pilates teacher. PM me for info
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Currently, I'm working full time, Mon-Fri (Spanish schedule, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.), so wouldn't be able to make a 10 a.m. pilates class. Do you know if she teaches on weekends or in the evening?

At what time does the oil painting class start on Thursdays???

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I read your PM before looking at this. Isabel does do evenings not sure what times though. Although the painting starts at 1:00 it carries on till around 4:30.