Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the new anti-smoking law working?

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes, this has got interesting hasn't it? I wish I knew more about GM. They are always saying that they aren't doing anything that doesn't happen in nature but - inserting spider genes into carrots? Does that happen in nature? Is the natural inclusion of viral DNA into the human genome the same process?

The problem people have with Genetic Engineering is the Law of Unintended Consequences - making a change in a complex system in order to achieve a specific outcome may have another completely different and unforeseen effect. It is difficult to test for. An example of an unintended consequence (although not caused by GM) is the problems caused by the sedative Thalidomide.
Ah, no, wait a minute. We can stick bits from a spider into a cow or a bacterium so that it will produce spider silk. If we could produce a silk stronger even than in nature, it would be a very useful.

Thalidomide. When you make a chemical of a certain complexity, the molecule can be left handed or right hander. Isomerism. So there is D-Thalidomide, and L-D. (dextro and laevo - Right and left.)

One of these is an excellent sedative, the other suppresses the growth of bloodvessels. If a woman is pregnant and takes it at the stage when blood vessels are growing to supply the new legs or arms of the foetus, then the legs or arms do not develop.

However, the 'Bad' isomer is a magic bullet agains certain cancers, and also leprosy.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
we wouldn't have got half as far as we have.
...which isnt very far at all

1 million children every year die from diarhoerra (spelling?) and related conditions due to dirty drinking water

So much for science!

There have to be priorities in life. For little cost we could make sure that people had enough food, water and shelter in this life and help educate them so they dont go having 10 kids each and over-populate the planet.

My suggestion is lets leave building spaceships and tampering with genetics (which someone said could have a host of unintended consequencies) until we sort the basics out.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
...which isnt very far at all

1 million children every year die from diarhoerra (spelling?) and related conditions due to dirty drinking water

So much for science!

There have to be priorities in life. For little cost we could make sure that people had enough food, water and shelter in this life and help educate them so they dont go having 10 kids each and over-populate the planet.

My suggestion is lets leave building spaceships and tampering with genetics (which someone said could have a host of unintended consequencies) until we sort the basics out.
The old spaceship arguement doesn't cut a lot of ice tho, does it? Satellites give us all help with predicting weather, mapping, and so on.

Interestingly, the real key to population control and improving the lot of people is to educate women and make sure they have access to simple, effective contraception.

trouble is, catholicism campaigns virulently against condoms, education and so on. Keeping them dirty, ignorant and pregnant is the way to keep power over the masses.

If you could empty the basements of the Vatican of its wealth and treasure, and use that money to help the poor and the needy, you'd have the money you need for all that clean water.

They won't tho will they? Camels and needles, camels and needles.

It could be an interesting conversation between god and the departed popes, eh? If their god is as nasty as they reckon, they are in for a very rough time.

Oh yeah, I forget, all you have to do is say 'Oopsie. Sorry about that' before you die, and it's all ok, isn't it?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Many people have tried educating people on a continent which has enormous problems in self-sustainment, that it is unwise to breed like rabbits, and many people have failed.
Short of giving them all a compulsory snip at a very early age, I don't see things improving much.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
The old spaceship arguement doesn't cut a lot of ice tho, does it? Satellites give us all help with predicting weather, mapping, and so on.

Interestingly, the real key to population control and improving the lot of people is to educate women and make sure they have access to simple, effective contraception.

trouble is, catholicism campaigns virulently against condoms, education and so on. Keeping them dirty, ignorant and pregnant is the way to keep power over the masses.

If you could empty the basements of the Vatican of its wealth and treasure, and use that money to help the poor and the needy, you'd have the money you need for all that clean water.

They won't tho will they? Camels and needles, camels and needles.

It could be an interesting conversation between god and the departed popes, eh? If their god is as nasty as they reckon, they are in for a very rough time.

Oh yeah, I forget, all you have to do is say 'Oopsie. Sorry about that' before you die, and it's all ok, isn't it?
Yes which is worse? Religion or capitalism?!

Personally I am for athiesm, science, philosophy and anarchy (that's Spanish pre-civil war anarchy, rather than punk rocker anti-McDonalds anarchy)
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:53 pm
bil
Banned

Personally I am for athiesm, science, philosophy and anarchy (that's Spanish pre-civil war anarchy, rather than punk rocker anti-McDonalds anarchy)
That works fine by me.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Ah, no, wait a minute. We can stick bits from a spider into a cow or a bacterium so that it will produce spider silk. If we could produce a silk stronger even than in nature, it would be a very useful.

Thalidomide. When you make a chemical of a certain complexity, the molecule can be left handed or right hander. Isomerism. So there is D-Thalidomide, and L-D. (dextro and laevo - Right and left.)

One of these is an excellent sedative, the other suppresses the growth of bloodvessels. If a woman is pregnant and takes it at the stage when blood vessels are growing to supply the new legs or arms of the foetus, then the legs or arms do not develop.

However, the 'Bad' isomer is a magic bullet agains certain cancers, and also leprosy.
And cannabis is a very useful drug!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:21 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
And cannabis is a very useful drug!
So is heroin.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
So is heroin.
Absolutely. and digitalis....and warferin...... the list of dangerous/useful drugs goes on! Back to the original thread though. Cigarettes don't really feature in this list.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:09 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I went for a beer yesterday and finding the bar empty, after a few minutes of calling, I went into the back (a sort of kitchentte with a sink and window.

The owner had an ashtray on the draining board, the window open and he was blowing the smoke out with his face presssed up against the bars.

I got my own beer...as he was otherwise engaged.

So yes I can honestly say that the smoking ban is working, as I have seen it with my own eyes
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

houdini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant futurehoudini1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JLFS
I went for a beer yesterday and finding the bar empty, after a few minutes of calling, I went into the back (a sort of kitchentte with a sink and window.

The owner had an ashtray on the draining board, the window open and he was blowing the smoke out with his face presssed up against the bars.

I got my own beer...as he was otherwise engaged.

So yes I can honestly say that the smoking ban is working, as I have seen it with my own eyes
I would find it rather quaint to enter a bar, bartender absent, only to find him in the back exhaling smoke out the window and then him telling you to serve yourself Reminds me of Ireland.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away, what have I missed?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:19 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Mitzy has been dancing naked on the table, and we had to have him sectioned.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Mitzy has been dancing naked on the table, and we had to have him sectioned.
Well thats hardly new news, the man has needed to be sectioned for bloody years!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:28 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Where have you been?

Latest news on the smoking, yesterday in velez-málaga the Police entered a bar for a coffee and three men were sat smoking. They refused to put the cigs out and a punch-up developed. One ran off and the other two were arrested after the Police were injured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.