Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

new airline luggage scam

new airline luggage scam

Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new airline luggage scam

Glynis,see my previous post was in Ireland, link is there to be read, ho ho ho

pwwm
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice
Red face Re: new airline luggage scam

I have worked in the travel industry for the past 23 years and have noticed airfares come down considerably in that time.
My big grievance about the Flybe/Ryanair baggage charges. As someone else mentioned, fares are no always lower with low-cost airlines.
BA have some great fares to Spain as do Iberia. BA's checked-in economy class baggage allowance of 23kg and Iberia's of 20kg is very generous compared to low-cost airlines, plus if you are travelling as a group or even as a couple, you can "pool" your baggage allowance between you. It isn't set, like Ryanair, that one person has one bag of 15kg. With BA, as long as any one bag does not exceed 32kg, my husband could have a bag of 32kg and I could have a bag of 14kg taking us up to our combined limit of 46kg. Whereas Ryanair will not allow this.
Whilst I have to fly to Almeria in July with Ryanair as only low-cost airlines operate from my local airport, I am a great advocate of the "scheduled" airline and all that they stand for.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I fly up in April to LHR and using Iberia as cheaper than any of the others, but return is Easyjet to Almeria as was the better option for that leg.

You will be pleased to know Linken1647 it is deep blue skies here all day and touching 29dg, having to top up the pool already.

Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

I'm delighted to read that the weather has been better of late, but the long term forecast doesn't look too marvellous in the Alicante region over Easter. Sadly I am not flying RA, in which case they may accidently land me in Turkey, come the day.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice

Originally Posted by Linken1647
I have worked in the travel industry for the past 23 years and have noticed airfares come down considerably in that time.
My big grievance about the Flybe/Ryanair baggage charges. As someone else mentioned, fares are no always lower with low-cost airlines.
BA have some great fares to Spain as do Iberia. BA's checked-in economy class baggage allowance of 23kg and Iberia's of 20kg is very generous compared to low-cost airlines, plus if you are travelling as a group or even as a couple, you can "pool" your baggage allowance between you. It isn't set, like Ryanair, that one person has one bag of 15kg. With BA, as long as any one bag does not exceed 32kg, my husband could have a bag of 32kg and I could have a bag of 14kg taking us up to our combined limit of 46kg. Whereas Ryanair will not allow this.
Whilst I have to fly to Almeria in July with Ryanair as only low-cost airlines operate from my local airport, I am a great advocate of the "scheduled" airline and all that they stand for.
With all your experience i am sure you will be fully aware that BA , Iberia etc didn't lower their fares until the easyjets and ryanair came along , what the 'scheduled' airlines used to stand for was cartel rip offs ! , how convienient for your argument that only low cost airlines fly to your area , why don't you drive ? you can get away with much more luggage !
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Linken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really niceLinken1647 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mourinho
With all your experience i am sure you will be fully aware that BA , Iberia etc didn't lower their fares until the easyjets and ryanair came along , what the 'scheduled' airlines used to stand for was cartel rip offs ! , how convienient for your argument that only low cost airlines fly to your area , why don't you drive ? you can get away with much more luggage !
Good point. Yes we could drive but my husband probably sees flying as the better (and cheaper) option. I love shopping for Spanish leather goods - shoes and handbags - so if we drove I would just have so much more room to bring those back too! It would be an expensive trip!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linken1647
Hi all

Appreciate all the comments re the stealth luggage charge, but to be honest what gets my goat more is the staggering cost to park at Stanstead - BAA + NCP are laughing all the way to the bank - the low cost airlines are fighting hard to get us to use them, whereas with little competition BAA+NCP are the biggest rip off. :scared:
Old Apr 9th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi all

Appreciate all the comments re the stealth luggage charge, but to be honest what gets my goat more is the staggering cost to park at Stanstead - BAA + NCP are laughing all the way to the bank - the low cost airlines are fighting hard to get us to use them, whereas with little competition BAA+NCP are the biggest rip off. :scared:
Oh boy do I agree! It sometimes costs more to park the car than to fly to Spain and back. Even with the bus to the terminal included, they must be raking it in.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here in spain it is cheaper to park the car than get lift into the airport, especially if we are only flying up for 4 to 5 days about £20 to park at Almeria. I remember when we lived in the UK what a rip off the airport parking charges are.
Oh well back to being idle!!!!